All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:02 pm

nimdabew wrote:
Big B wrote:Just to be clear though, once you turn your pistol into a rifle you can't change it back to a pistol without having to go though the SBR process.
This is true. The pistol to rifle to pistol thing has been to court with the Thompson Center case

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... ms_Company" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ATF has since ruled that the receiver going from pistol to rifle to pistol only applies to that specific firearm and no others. Go figure right? Anyways, I keep a blank receiver around as a pistol anyways for when WA can get SBR's.

My short list for SBR's is my AR-15 12.5" and a Krink. Two form 1's are going out the day that it is legal in WA. I just have to be patient.
No the atf has a clarification letter. Basically it say if a gun starts as a receiver and begins life as a pistol it can become a rifle. This is all firearms. The letter is on the atf website. I'll post it again tomorrow.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Re: Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by nimdabew » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:59 am

Regular Guy wrote:
nimdabew wrote:
Big B wrote:Just to be clear though, once you turn your pistol into a rifle you can't change it back to a pistol without having to go though the SBR process.
This is true. The pistol to rifle to pistol thing has been to court with the Thompson Center case

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... ms_Company" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ATF has since ruled that the receiver going from pistol to rifle to pistol only applies to that specific firearm and no others. Go figure right? Anyways, I keep a blank receiver around as a pistol anyways for when WA can get SBR's.

My short list for SBR's is my AR-15 12.5" and a Krink. Two form 1's are going out the day that it is legal in WA. I just have to be patient.
No the atf has a clarification letter. Basically it say if a gun starts as a receiver and begins life as a pistol it can become a rifle. This is all firearms. The letter is on the atf website. I'll post it again tomorrow.
Read it again. Pistol, rifle, pistol is for the Thompson center pistol kit and only applies to that gun. Pistol to rifle is ok for all other guns, but can't be made back into a pistol again after it becomes a rifle. Pistol rifle is fine, pistol rifle pistol is not.

Hello :wavey:
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:52 am

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/ ... 2011-4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll bold the important part. It in fact say, if it's made from a receiver it can be a pistol or a rifle and vice versa if it's in either configuration.

Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when parts in a kit that were originally designed to be configured as both a pistol and a rifle are assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length).
Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol).

26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3): DEFINITIONS (FIREARM )
26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4): DEFINITIONS (FIREARM)
26 U.S.C. 5845(c): DEFINITIONS (RIFLE)
27 CFR 479.11: DEFINITIONS (RIFLE)
27 CFR 479.11: DEFINITIONS (PISTOL)
A firearm, as defined by the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3), is made when unassembled parts are placed in close proximity in such a way that they: (a) serve no useful purpose other than to make a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; or (b) convert a complete weapon into such an NFA firearm. A firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when parts within a kit that were originally designed to be configured as both a pistol and a rifle are assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel or barrels of 16 inches or more in length). A firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a barrel or barrels of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol). A firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4), is made when a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length, is assembled or produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle.
ATF Rul. 2011-4
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has received requests from individuals to classify pistols that are reconfigured into rifles, for personal use, through the addition of barrels, stocks, and other parts and then returned to a pistol configuration by removal of those components. Specifically, ATF has been asked to determine whether such a pistol, once returned to a pistol configuration from a rifle, becomes a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined under the National Firearms Act (NFA).
Some manufacturers produce firearm receivers and attachable component parts that are designed to be assembled into both rifles and pistols. The same receiver can accept an interchangeable shoulder stock or pistol grip, and a long (16 or more inches in length) or short (less than 16 inches) barrel. These components are sold individually, or as unassembled kits. Generally, the kits include a receiver, a pistol grip, a pistol barrel less than 16 inches in length, a shoulder stock, and a rifle barrel 16 inches or more in length.
- 2 -
Certain parts or parts sets are also designed to allow an individual to convert a pistol into a rifle without removing a barrel or attaching a shoulder stock to the pistol. These parts consist of an outer shell with a shoulder stock into which the pistol may be inserted. When inserted, the pistol fires a projectile through a rifled extension barrel that is 16 inches or more in length, and with an overall length of 26 inches or more. Other parts sets require that certain parts of the pistol, such as the pistol barrel and the slide assembly, be removed from the pistol frame prior to attaching the parts sets. Typically, a separate barrel is sold with the parts set, which is 16 inches or greater in length. The barrel is installed along with an accompanying shoulder stock. The resulting firearm has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and an overall length of 26 inches or more.
The NFA, Title 26, United States Code (U.S.C.), Chapter 53, requires that persons manufacturing, importing, transferring, or possessing firearms as defined in the NFA comply with the Act’s licensing, registration, and taxation requirements. The NFA defines the term “firearm” at 26 U.S.C. 5845(a) to include “(3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;” (“short-barreled rifle”) and “(4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length” (“weapon made from a rifle”). The term “rifle” is defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(c) and 27 CFR 479.11 as “a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed cartridge.” Although not defined in the NFA, the term “pistol” is defined by the Act’s implementing regulations, 27 CFR 479.11, as “a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s)” (emphasis added).
Unassembled Parts Kits
In United States v. Thompson/Center Arms Company, 504 U.S. 505 (1992), the United States Supreme Court examined whether a short-barreled rifle was “made” under the NFA when a carbine-conversion kit consisting of a single-shot “Contender” pistol was designed so that its handle and barrel could be removed from its receiver, and was packaged with a 21-inch barrel, a rifle stock, and a wooden fore-end. The Court held that, where aggregated parts could convert a pistol into either a regulated short-barreled rifle, or an unregulated rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, the NFA was ambiguous and applied the “rule of lenity” (i.e., ambiguities in criminal statutes should be resolved in favor of the defendant) so that the pistol and carbine kit, when packaged together, were not considered a “short-barreled rifle” for purposes of the NFA.
However, the Court also explained that an NFA firearm is made if aggregated parts are in close proximity such that they: (a) serve no useful purpose other than to make an NFA firearm (e.g., a receiver, an attachable shoulder stock, and a short barrel); or (b) convert a
- 3 -
complete weapon into an NFA firearm (e.g., a pistol and attachable shoulder stock, or a long-barreled rifle and attachable short barrel). Id. at 511-13.
Assembly of Weapons from Parts Kits
The Thompson/Center Court viewed the parts within the conversion kit not only as a Contender pistol, but also as an unassembled “rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(c). The inclusion of the rifle stock in the package brought the Contender pistol and carbine kit within the "intended to be fired from the shoulder" language in the definition of rifle at 26 U.S.C. 5845(c). Id. at 513 n.6. Thompson/Center did not address the subsequent assembly of the parts. United States v. Ardoin, 19 F.3d 177, 181 (5th Cir. 1994). Based on the definition of “firearm” in 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3), if parts are assembled into a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length, a regulated short-barreled rifle has been made. See, e.g., United States v. Owens, 103 F.3d 953 (11th Cir. 1997); United States v. One (1) Colt Ar-15, 394 F. Supp. 2d 1064 (W.D.Tenn. 2004). Conversely, if the parts are assembled into a rifle having a barrel or barrels 16 inches in length or more, a rifle not subject to the NFA has been made.
Therefore, so long as a parts kit or collection of parts is not used to make a firearm regulated under the NFA (e.g., a short-barreled rifle or “any other weapon” as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(e)), no NFA firearm is made when the same parts are assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length). Merely assembling and disassembling such a rifle does not result in the making of a new weapon; rather, it is the same rifle in a knockdown condition (i.e., complete as to all component parts). Likewise, because it is the same weapon when reconfigured as a pistol, no “weapon made from a rifle” subject to the NFA has been made.
Nonetheless, if a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length is assembled or otherwise produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle, such a weapon is a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4). Such a weapon would not be a “pistol” because the weapon was not originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile by one hand.
Held, a firearm, as defined by the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3), is made when unassembled parts are placed in close proximity in such a way that they:
(a) Serve no useful purpose other than to make a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length (e.g., a receiver, an attachable shoulder stock, and barrel of less than 16 inches in length); or
(b) Convert a complete weapon into such an NFA firearm, including –
(1) A pistol and attachable shoulder stock; and
- 4 -
(2) A rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and an attachable barrel of less than 16 inches in length.
Such weapons must be registered and are subject to all requirements of the NFA.
Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when parts in a kit that were originally designed to be configured as both a pistol and a rifle are assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length).
Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol).
Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4), is made when a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length, is assembled or produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle. Such weapons must be registered and are subject to all requirements of the NFA.
To the extent this ruling may be inconsistent with any prior letter rulings, they are hereby superseded.
Date approved: July 25, 2011
Kenneth E. Melson
Acting Director
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:53 am

If the lower is registered SBR, can you make it a pistol later?

If the lower is registered SBR, can you have spare full length uppers for it?

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:28 am

MaconCJ7 wrote:If the lower is registered SBR, can you make it a pistol later?

If the lower is registered SBR, can you have spare full length uppers for it?
Yes, an SBR can be a pistol, why you'd do that, IDK.

Yes, a SBR can have any brl length you want just as long as it can be returned to it's orginal configuration and the change is NOT permanent. Furthermore, you can have it in any caliber you want just as long as it's not permanent and can be returned to the orginal confirguraion.
This is why I really like AR -15 lowers, with 2 pins you can have whatever upper you want.

hatchtrikk
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, dawn of the dead, land of the dead, diary of the dead and many more...

Post by hatchtrikk » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:35 pm

Regular Guy wrote:
hatchtrikk wrote:I'm thinking that when I do decide to get a 7.5, Imma get the complete Diablo upper.

Although now that I've typed it, I think I'll do a Noveske Diplomat instead.

RG, you gots build specs on the 7.5 upper build you have planned?
Why yes. Nothing special. Yhm carbine LT wt. Handguards, auto bcg, DD sights, PSA lower, Moe grip and buttstock.
Vortex flash hider. Just your basic blaster.

That should be pretty sweet.

Now, stop buying stuff and let the rest of us catch the fuck up :lol:
My Draco SBR: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=79016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belt fed always wins. -GD4

I am serious...and stop calling me Shirley. -Agent Smith

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:51 pm

I'm sorry my man. I'm on a mission. I've wanted this stuff since I was 21 and due to military service, college and moving I was unable. Now I have a good job and a stable home. So, I say this: shits on.

hatchtrikk
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, dawn of the dead, land of the dead, diary of the dead and many more...

Post by hatchtrikk » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:49 pm

No fair!

I need to get like eleventy fucking stamps pending :lol: :lol:

OT: The barrel that you got, it's plug and play like any other AR barrel right?

I'm thinking I should grab one and start collecting the pieces.
My Draco SBR: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=79016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:54 pm

hatchtrikk wrote:No fair!

I need to get like eleventy fucking stamps pending :lol: :lol:

OT: The barrel that you got, it's plug and play like any other AR barrel right?

I'm thinking I should grab one and start collecting the pieces.
Yes, plug and play. Fair? Always cheat, always win. :twisted:

Werespaz

Post by Werespaz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:39 pm

OMG, it's taken me, like, a week to read through this thread. Lot's of awesome stuff.

Here's my question:
I've got a complete lower built, and a stripped upper, upper parts kit (FA, DC and CH) and a completely stripped barrel on the way. And I've spent my budget for this month. So, planning for April's budget, and I want to finish and attach the barrel assembly next, but will likely have to spend more time saving up for the handguard setup. So my question is this, do most free floating handguards attatch with a standard barrel nut or come with their own special one?

I've got a carbine length gas system, so I'll probably do a low profile gas block, so what lenght forearm should I go with?

I didn't get a carbine specific butt-stock setup, so should I go ahead and order an H2 buffer now?

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:45 pm

Werespaz wrote:So my question is this, do most free floating handguards attatch with a standard barrel nut or come with their own special one?
Depends on the rail.

I've got a carbine length gas system, so I'll probably do a low profile gas block, so what lenght forearm should I go with?
If you want it to cover the gas block, go at least 9", 10" would be better.

I didn't get a carbine specific butt-stock setup, so should I go ahead and order an H2 buffer now?
Does it shoot fine now? If yes, don't mess with it trying to make it "better".
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:52 pm

Regular Guy wrote:I'm sorry my man. I'm on a mission. I've wanted this stuff since I was 21 and due to military service, college and moving I was unable. Now I have a good job and a stable home. So, I say this: shits on.
Sweet Gear. There is no justification for it, there is no justification needed for it.

Go do you, my friend! :mrgreen: :D :lol:
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Werespaz

Post by Werespaz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:03 pm

nimdabew wrote:
Werespaz wrote:So my question is this, do most free floating handguards attatch with a standard barrel nut or come with their own special one?
Depends on the rail.

If you want it to cover the gas block, go at least 9", 10" would be better.

Does it shoot fine now? If yes, don't mess with it trying to make it "better".
I had figured as much about the rail, just curious if there was a trend one way or the other. I'd pick out my rail now and buy it when funds allow, but it seems like stuff is so in and out of stock these days.

9-10" inches is good to know, thanks.

It doesn't shoot at all right now! But I'll wait on that then.

Thanks for you help, and thanks for all the contributions everyone's made to this thread (especially mustache with titties).

Last stupid question: What's a "dissy"?

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:06 am

A Dissy (short for "Dissapator", the original name Bushmaster called the style) is a 16" barreled AR with a carbine or midlength gas system (originally carbine) under a rifle length non free-floated handguard, with an A2 front sight.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk

Werespaz

Re: All purpose

Post by Werespaz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:16 am

TDW586 wrote:A Dissy (short for "Dissapator", the original name Bushmaster called the style) is a 16" barreled AR with a carbine or midlength gas system (originally carbine) under a rifle length non free-floated handguard, with an A2 front sight.

Huh, that sound pretty close to what I'm building. So, I guess I have more stupid questions: I assume with that setup that the front sight isn't being used as part of the gas system? It's just mounted to the barrel just before the flash hider?

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Re: All purpose

Post by UndeadInfidel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:40 pm

Werespaz wrote:
TDW586 wrote:A Dissy (short for "Dissapator", the original name Bushmaster called the style) is a 16" barreled AR with a carbine or midlength gas system (originally carbine) under a rifle length non free-floated handguard, with an A2 front sight.

Huh, that sound pretty close to what I'm building. So, I guess I have more stupid questions: I assume with that setup that the front sight isn't being used as part of the gas system? It's just mounted to the barrel just before the flash hider?

It depends on the length of the gas system. A true "dissipator" will have a rifle length gas system with the barrel simply shortened to 16" or so. A "mock dissipator" is typically what's being marketed now, which has the look of a rifle length gas system, but has a low profile gas block installed under the hand guards to facilitate a carbine or midlength gas system. On a "mock dissipator", the front sight post is mainly there to provide a ring for the handguards to be mounted to, and well, to aim.

Do be aware that most of what you see marketed online now are "mock dissipators".

Werespaz

Post by Werespaz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:48 pm

Awesome. Thank you very much for the explaination. This new info opens up a ton of options I didn't know existed.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:10 am

Dont know if i should put this in the NFA thread or here but here it goes..

Lets say i have an regular AR15 carbine and an AR15 pistol with a 7 inch barrel...can i buy a 10.5 inch barreld upper recierver and use that on my pistol or would that be constructive intent since i have the rifle...
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

hatchtrikk

Post by hatchtrikk » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:41 am

0122358 wrote:Dont know if i should put this in the NFA thread or here but here it goes..

Lets say i have an regular AR15 carbine and an AR15 pistol with a 7 inch barrel...can i buy a 10.5 inch barreld upper recierver and use that on my pistol or would that be constructive intent since i have the rifle...

Well with an SBR, you are allowed to have spare SBR uppers in the residence even if you own other non-SBR ARs. It's probably the same for pistols.

A letter of clarification from the ATF wouldn't be a bad idea in that case, IMO.

Constructive possession is only two pins away...

Almighty
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Almighty » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:38 pm

Does BCM Bolt Carrier Group AUTO MP need an ATF stamp?

I'm asking because a guy at work, who happens to be a 'certified Glock armorer' told me so. And he made the comment in front of a very senior supervisor. We were talking about my newest parts to my soon-to-be built AR.

Realize this is a n00b question, but the guy was adamant that I can't have 'any parts to an automatic' laying around my house, 'cause it's illegal.

Thanks

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:49 pm

Yes you can have an auto.bolt carrier. Also you can have a safety selector for an auto also. Thats the only two parts you can have.

Almighty
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Almighty » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:57 pm

ausher wrote:Yes you can have an auto.bolt carrier. Also you can have a safety selector for an auto also. Thats the only two parts you can have.

So the BCG in and of itself does not need permitting? Thanks

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:06 pm

Almighty wrote:Does BCM Bolt Carrier Group AUTO MP need an ATF stamp?

I'm asking because a guy at work, who happens to be a 'certified Glock armorer' told me so. And he made the comment in front of a very senior supervisor. We were talking about my newest parts to my soon-to-be built AR.

Realize this is a n00b question, but the guy was adamant that I can't have 'any parts to an automatic' laying around my house, 'cause it's illegal.

Thanks
Here's a webpage that explains it all if you wanted more info on it.

http://www.ar15.com/content/legal/AR15-M16Parts/
Conclusion :
As mentioned previously, having M16 parts in you AR does not mean that it will be capable of automatic fire, but it does mean that you could be in violation of the law. The penalties are harsh, and definitely not worth the risks. Check those rifles, and replace any parts that don't belong. Keep in mind that some parts like the bolt carrier, can appear to be M16 and yet actually be legal AR-15 parts... stay legal, and most importantly, stay safe!
There's also a link on the page for ATF FAQ so that you can take a look at that too if you wanted.

What I think what the guy was referring to was an auto sear, that's a little bit different story and possession of that is illegal.

Most people hate to be corrected when they're wrong about something though, so telling the guy at work that he's mistaken is probably kind of pointless.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”