Conversion specs needed: HK G3 mag for Valmet use?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Conversion specs needed: HK G3 mag for Valmet use?

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Father-in-law has a Valmet Hunter I hope to inherit in the future, but he is selling all the crappy mags. How can I convert the dozen G3 mags I have for use in the Valmet? Anyone have specs?
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Re: Conversion specs needed: HK G3 mag for Valmet use?

Post by Hoppy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:51 pm

so... huh?

have you heard of people doing this and are asking how? or are you hoping it can be done?

the former i know nothing about, and the latter the rounds and hence mag size arnt even comparable never mind compatible
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:21 pm

Mark Krebs has told him that G3 mags are some of the best to convert for the Valmet. (Mark has been trying to buy this rifle for 10 years.)

FYI - G3 = .308, Valmet = .308

The mags are very close, I would even guess made by HK for Valmet, but apparently of crap steel since the bullet tips have left marks visible from the outside. I only have 1 steel G3 mag (somewhere) but it looks a lot like the 3-4 Valmet mags he has. The bulk of my G3 mags are aluminum, which isn't a problem for the conversion since I have access to scraps of aluminum, a machine shop, and an expert welder (my dad).

So, the problem remains: Anyone have specs? Or do I spend a weekend figuring them out?
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:45 pm

Valmet is a brand/factory they make several firearms.

the 3 major models im aware of are the 62, 76, and a much lesser, more novelty extent, the 95
offered in 7.62X39 and an export only 76 in 5.56 i believe

and yes they did make some in 7.62 nato that i had forgotten about. that i believe is rare enough TO forget about

though we cant be a mind reader as to which Valmet he has, you should really specify.
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:04 pm

I think at a minimum you're going to have to add a locking tang on the back and flatten the locating tabs. Pic for those that are scratching their heads:

I wouldn't try this with the aluminum mags, I don't think they'll hold up. Steel ones are pretty cheap and will be easier to work with.

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Sorry, Hoppy, I was only aware of the .308 models. Not incredibly Valmet-fluent. My bad.

That looks like it would do the trick, Arkane! There is a little nub on the front, too. Pretty sure I can manage with the aluminum mags, but we'll see. Should be able to cut a block to put inside the mag to prevent collapse, then mill the sides to spec. I've got enough of them to play with, lol...

Anyone have more to add?

AmirMortal
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL! 28 days later...

Post by AmirMortal » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:45 pm

I've seen these conversions done before, and I've been looking for the info on how to do it, but for a possible .308 Saiga conversion. I've seen some stuff over on the Saiga12 forums, but I haven't found a tutorial or anything. Unfortunately, most of what I've seen suggests trial and error is the norm. I would love it if someone had a good link, a friend of mine might be getting one of these and doing this too.

Fake Edit: Cool Arkane, how would you extend that locking tab? Would this be possible without welding?

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:53 pm

If you are talking about the front locking tab It should be easy enough to do a punch and lift then reinforce it. If you go steel you can have some punched out of flat stock and then tack them on or build it up and grind it to shape. The backside is easy enough, probably cutting some from old AK mags and tacking them in place would work.

I can't stress enough how imperative it is you get at least one of the stock mags to work with for measurements. That will make your life so much damn easier.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with one of my comrades and he states he is pretty sure Yugo M77 mags will fit with no mods. You might also try the M76 mags.
Last edited by Arkane on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:02 pm

Yeah, he won't sell all the mags, just the 20rd ones, since they sell for so much. Should be able to make it work, but don't want to spend a weekend making scrap out of all my G3 mags. Wanna gather all the intel I can before doing any welding/cutting...

mzmadmike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by mzmadmike » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:35 am

Zombie thread resurrection.

I'm working on some now. It's not "simple enough." But it is doable. It takes grinding down the sides, new tabs front and rear, re-shaping the lips, and adding a shim.

This is for the Valmet M-78.
A LONG TIME UNTIL NOW (paperback edition), Jul 2016 from Baen Books
ANGELEYES, Nov 2016 from Baen Books

http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SharpPointyThings.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Custom, antique and commercial blades

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:37 am

I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”