Doe's head vs. .223 Pics (Rather Graphic, NSFW)

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Gunny

Doe's head vs. .223 Pics (Rather Graphic, NSFW)

Post by Gunny » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:28 pm

Thought some of my fellow AR fanboys might like to see what a .223 45gr Nosler Ballistic Tip round out of a Remington 700 varminter does against a soft target like a doe's head.

I was serious about the graphic warning, scroll down at your own risk.

tireiron

Re: Doe's head vs. .223 Pics (Rather Graphic, NSFW)

Post by tireiron » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:36 pm

Yikes! :shock:

I put a 168gr Hornady A-max 30-06 ( outta my Garand) through the breadbasket of a whitetail this year... exit wound the size of a golfball...

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:41 pm

Very nice. And less graphic than a Texas heart shot.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:59 pm

BOOOOOM! Headshot!

Someone had to say it. Now I wonder what M855 would do to the same target.

Side question, what is skull comparison to a human skull? I know differentdimensions but similar build and bone density?
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:02 pm

Side question, what is skull comparison to a human skull? I know differentdimensions but similar build and bone density?
More bone and muscle, much less brain.

Shadowsbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead.

Post by Shadowsbane » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:03 pm

Yeah. Not quite as messy as the 30-30 but effective none the less.

I always prefer shooting things in the head. I don't like chasing things down anymore than I have to.
All dwarfs are by nature dutiful, serious, literate, obedient and thoughtful people whose only minor failing is a tendency, after one drink, to rush at enemies screaming "Arrrrrrgh!" and axing their legs off at the knee.
Terry Pratchett

http://www.lonelymountainleather.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Temporarily closed)

I am col o r Blind

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:08 pm

roscoe wrote:
More bone and muscle, much less brain.
I am guessing a human head would be more of a pop
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Matt E.

Post by Matt E. » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:39 pm

One of my good freinds and forum members still hunts deer almost exclusively with a 5.56. (Or a 1911 .45)
"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:56 pm

But ..but...but.. wait a minute , i thought .556 was only good for shooting poodles .

:lol:
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

daviddulee

Post by daviddulee » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:58 pm

Wow, that is a more catastrophic looking wound than when I shot a whitetail deer in the head with a 30-30. Two holes the size of my thumb was all that was evidence of the wound then.

Please note, I am not bragging about my 'elite headshot'. I freely admit that I was aiming for the shoulder, was exciting to finally see a damn deer after 3 years of futility, and jerked the trigger. My family calls it 'the luckiest miss ever'.

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:08 pm

mk_ultra wrote:But ..but...but.. wait a minute , i thought .556 was only good for shooting poodles .

There are some who think so:
Chuck Hawks wrote:The 64 grain Power Point bullet is simply inadequate for shooting North American deer and antelope, regardless of the velocity at which it can be driven by any .22 caliber cartridge ever produced.
The hilarious thing is, old Chuck is talking about a 64 grain soft point propelled by the 223WSSM, not a standard 223 Remington. He may $hit himself if he ever gets hold of this thread.

Let's all have a good laugh at the LOL-COW. :lol:
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:17 pm

mr.trooper wrote:
mk_ultra wrote:But ..but...but.. wait a minute , i thought .556 was only good for shooting poodles .

There are some who think so:
Chuck Hawks wrote:The 64 grain Power Point bullet is simply inadequate for shooting North American deer and antelope, regardless of the velocity at which it can be driven by any .22 caliber cartridge ever produced.
The hilarious thing is, old Chuck is talking about a 64 grain soft point propelled by the 223WSSM, not a standard 223 Remington. He may $hit himself if he ever gets hold of this thread.

Let's all have a good laugh at the LOL-COW. :lol:

Hahaha brilliant.

I've personally killed dozens of deer and a few hundred hogs with .223/5.56 (shrugs).

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:18 pm

nimdabew wrote:BOOOOOM! Headshot!

Someone had to say it. Now I wonder what M855 would do to the same target.

That area is a weaker section of the skull, which in those animals is still pretty good stuff. What makes it impressive none the less is (assuming I have my landamrks correct) that area of the skull is not a stellar flat section, its like early in the occipital region is pretty freakin round. That means, not only did it have the gusto to bust some brain bucket, but it did it with a fractional loss of KE.
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:24 pm

Gunny wrote:
Hahaha brilliant.

I've personally killed dozens of deer and a few hundred hogs with .223/5.56 (shrugs).

Whats truly funny, is that no matter how many thousands of deer are cleanly harvested with 22 center fires, the Fudds will never grant you or your cartridge "legitimate" deer hunting status; it makes there $2,000 belted magnum rig look bad. :lol:
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

Shadowsbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead.

Post by Shadowsbane » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:26 pm

Not to mention they will label it inhumane, and say that even that deer suffered too much before dying
All dwarfs are by nature dutiful, serious, literate, obedient and thoughtful people whose only minor failing is a tendency, after one drink, to rush at enemies screaming "Arrrrrrgh!" and axing their legs off at the knee.
Terry Pratchett

http://www.lonelymountainleather.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Temporarily closed)

I am col o r Blind

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:31 pm

Shadowsbane wrote:Not to mention they will label it inhumane, and say that even that deer suffered too much before dying
If they'd look close, they'll notice the grass in the deer's mouth, and the position of her jaw. She went from deer to meat mid-chew. That's why I like headshooting ;)

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:34 pm

In my neck of the woods just before WWII, the .22 Hornet was a favorite for white tail. I remember as a real young kid listening to the farmers that were good friends with my grand dad, a dairy farmer, talking about how expensive .22 Hornet ammo was getting and how they just couldn't go down to the local hardware and buy a box anymore. They liked the Hornet because it was very easy to shoot, fairly low noise and effective on deer if kept within a hundred yards. Another factor was how close the "cityfolk" built suburbs to these folks farmsteads after the war. They did not want to put a .30-30 or .30-06 through someone's house on opening day. Plus they could use it for the occasional fox or wild dog that was raiding their chicken coops, something a rifle chambered in good ol' 22LR was also used for. Being not well to do folks, a rifle that could do "double duty", as it were, made a lot of economical sense.

The reason I mention this is not the fact that the .22 Hornet will kill a deer sized animal better then a .223/5.56. I like to think those old timers were able to put that 45 grain bullet where it need to go. And those old boys took a lot of deer every year.

If the .223/5.56 had been available to them, I think they would have used it and with great success on white tail sized game and for varmint control on their farms and fields.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:35 pm

So...? Was it adequate? :lol: Although it is not legal to shoot deer with .22's in Texas, I'm sure this was shot somewhere else. :?

Funny how many people have been killed over the last 50 years with this caliber and yet it is still considered inadequate by so many for hunting deer...probably the same people that think the .270 is merely "adequate" for whitetail and the 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, .338 Federal and 7mm RUM are "ideal" whitetail cartridges. Most of the guys I know that overgun when hunting also drive 4x4's with 6" lifts to drive down a dirt road at their deer lease. :roll:

Most of the "old-school" REAL hunters I know shoot .243's, 25-06 (those are the "cannons"), 30-30's, .17HMR (seriously), 22-250 is very popular, and .223.

Nice pics though.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Artiz

Post by Artiz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:40 pm

Holy shit, that's an instant kill. Now hang that head on your car and take a ride downtown. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I prefer clean kills like this (I don't mean it needs to be clean, but the beast didn't even feel a thing which is good) to big holes letting the beast empty itself out while running like a beast that just got it's stuff blown out by a stupid hunter who thinks shooting a deer in the ass is just as effective as shooting it in the head. I'm all about hunting with target rifles, if the weight is an issue, then the hunter should stick to computer work, really. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Artiz on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:41 pm

Caenus wrote:So...? Was it adequate? :lol: Although it is not legal to shoot deer with .22's in Texas, I'm sure this was shot somewhere else. :?
I think Gunny has since moved to Missouri.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:44 pm

Jeriah wrote:
Caenus wrote:So...? Was it adequate? :lol: Although it is not legal to shoot deer with .22's in Texas, I'm sure this was shot somewhere else. :?
8) of course. That makes sense.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:30 pm

Can't be Missouri. If you hang around in any gun shop in this state you'll learn real quick that Missouri deer won't drop for anything less than a .300 win-mag :roll:
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Toro Azul
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by Toro Azul » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:43 pm

Is it dead?
Cheers.

"Who is John Galt?"
"I gotta great idea guys, slick shoes!"

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:49 pm

Caenus wrote:
Jeriah wrote:
8) of course. That makes sense.
Actually (I'm not a hunter, I reserve the use of those few lands that aren't apartment complexes now for those that would enjoy it more), the rule is that you cannot shoot deer with a rimfire. Centerfire only. Meaning that .223, .220 swift, .22-250, .228 3/4 Wildcat, .223007 Higginbotham, and .223.14159 ILikePi Magnum are all acceptable cartridges. :D

Also, very good on ya, Gunny. Humane, no suffering, no tainted meat, no chasing or tracking, and this one won't be coming back to start the Zombpocalypse.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”