AK underfolder conversion?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

painiac

AK underfolder conversion?

Post by painiac » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:27 am

Tell me about converting between fixed and underfolding stocks on AK-47s.

I'm looking at buying a Polish or possibly Romanian underfolder. I was wondering what would be involved in switching stocks on it later, if such a thing is even practical.

MacAttack

Re: AK underfolder conversion?

Post by MacAttack » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:37 am

I'm looking for just the under folder stock and its parts. If you want to get rid of them post back.

But as far as I can tell. If all the folder parts come out leaving the back of the receiver open then a normal stock should just slide in no problem.

It not like they ever changed anything once it worked fine. And the receivers should be identical at the back end other than the holes in the side..

Abby K-9

Post by Abby K-9 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:56 am

The underfolders you are considering are built on underfolder receivers, not regular AK receivers. The underfolder receivers are "closed" off in the back. The folding butt stock is attached to the weapon via holes in the rear side of the receiver, not like a regular butt stock.

Here's a picture that shows the back end of an underfolder
http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/s ... thak11.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For what it's worth, if you are looking for a quality Polish underfolder, try Hammerstone Arsenal (if they are still around - website doesn't come up for me tonight). I have a Polish PMKMS built on a 1972 receiver that was done by Hammerstone, and they do wonderful work.

Dave_M

Post by Dave_M » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:55 am

painiac wrote:Tell me about converting between fixed and underfolding stocks on AK-47s.

I'm looking at buying a Polish or possibly Romanian underfolder. I was wondering what would be involved in switching stocks on it later, if such a thing is even practical.

Yes, you can do it. No, in no way is it practical. No way at all.

The rear trunnion would have to be removed and then replaced (no small task) and then you'd still have bigass holes in the rear of your gun.

No.

If you want an underfolder now, buy one. If you want a solid stock later, buy one. There is no back and forth.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

prebans
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by prebans » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:54 am

It can be done with a conversion kit. However, it's not as solid as a "factory" underfolder receiver. You may also have trouble finding the kit.

Some years ago, kits to do this were sold out of SGN. The kit consisted of a weird cube-like block of steel. This attached to the rear of a fixed stock receiver by utilizing the existing setup for attaching a standard buttstock. (Basically, it was a cobbled-up underfolder trunion that attached to the rear of a standard receiver.) The underfolding stock then attached to this cube thingy like it does to a regular underfolder AK.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I've only observed ONE of these in person.

I was unimpressed with this kit and couldn't recommend it.

1. The attachment wasn't too solid. Wobbly stocks defeat the entire purpose of a stock.

2. The folder folded into the magazine well area due to the additional length. This precluded insertion of a magazine when the stock was folded. It also made the LEP (or whatever it's called) about 4" greater. This made the rifle less comfortable to shoot for people without longer arms. Furthermore, longer stock + wobbly = even less stable.

3. At the time (1994-1996 or so), there were no US-made AK underfolder stocks. This screwed with 922(r) compliance. Thus, assuming the rifle fits US parts count EXACTLY with a US-made fixed stock, you'll have to swap out another named foreign part for a US part. (It also made the rifle a post-ban "assault" rifle, but that's generally no longer an issue.)

FYI,

Mike
"The arms business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
-With apologies to Hunter S. Thompson

Dave_M

Post by Dave_M » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:49 am

prebans wrote:It can be done with a conversion kit. However, it's not as solid as a "factory" underfolder receiver. You may also have trouble finding the kit.
No way in hell could I recommend one of those bastardized things which is why I didn't even mention it. They're worse than these:

And those are pretty terrible and fugly.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

prebans
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by prebans » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:09 pm

DavePAL84 wrote:
prebans wrote:It can be done with a conversion kit. However, it's not as solid as a "factory" underfolder receiver. You may also have trouble finding the kit.
No way in hell could I recommend one of those bastardized things which is why I didn't even mention it. They're worse than these:

And those are pretty terrible and fugly.
I wouldn't recommend it either, but that's no reason not to mention that they exist.

If nothing else, we save the OP the time, trouble, and cost of buying one and discovering that they're not that great.

Mike
"The arms business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
-With apologies to Hunter S. Thompson

painiac

Post by painiac » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:56 pm

This is all exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks for the replies

I like the IDEA of that extended trunion, but I'm not at all keen on the idea of it being a piece of shit and blocking the magazine well. So I'll pass on that.

I think I'll just go with the standard underfolder, then.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”