semi-auto .308

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

supraneurotoxin

semi-auto .308

Post by supraneurotoxin » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:45 pm

doing a little research for my next new toy today...
looking into a .308, I'd like a semi-auto. would LOVE a M1A, but the price tag is a little too steep. I know saigas come in that caliber, but I'm not really digging the idea of a pistol grip, and the idea of an unconverted AK sorta makes me cringe too.
anyone have anything against a Remington 750? are there aftermarket stocks available?

TC

Re: semi-auto .308

Post by TC » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:58 pm

If an M1A seems a bit steep, you could try an FN FAL. Alternatively, there is the .308 M1 Garand, but that might not be what you are after.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:07 pm

There's the CETME and the JLD PTR-91, but those are giant heavy freaks, and have pistol grips. Also, I dont know that the CETME handles commercial .308. The Saiga is your best bet for something under $900.

You might consider a browning BLR lever-action in .308. Those are pretty sweet, and almost as fast as a semi-auto.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Domino

Post by Domino » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:19 pm

The Saiga is going to be 90% of the gun the M1A is at a third of the price. But if all that money is worth the legit look to you than just go ahead and save up to get the M1A. If its not worth it, the Saiga is your best bet.

spoolup

Post by spoolup » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:48 pm

I dont know what people have against the AR 308 platforms. But I like both of mine just great. Was thinking about picking up a 16" upper just to have. I have found a few AP4s (16 upper M4 look a like things in 308) for low 900 and few in the high 700s on occasion. Being its based off the AR platform, optics mount VERY easily. And several of the parts are interchangable (triggers, grips, stocks ect)

Mine

Domino

Post by Domino » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:23 pm

spoolup wrote:I dont know what people have against the AR 308 platforms. But I like both of mine just great. Was thinking about picking up a 16" upper just to have. I have found a few AP4s (16 upper M4 look a like things in 308) for low 900 and few in the high 700s on occasion. Being its based off the AR platform, optics mount VERY easily. And several of the parts are interchangable (triggers, grips, stocks ect)

Mine
Oh I really like the idea of an AR .308 platform. You get the accuracy, modularity, and ergonomics that are all very desirable. However, the price isn't!

Nice guns BTW!

Dave_M

Post by Dave_M » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:47 pm

My vote is for an FAL.

Just not a CAI or Hesse
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Organdonor

Post by Organdonor » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:51 pm

I love my big AR... For me, it just made sense. It takes FAL mags, so they are half the price of regular AR mags, and it's super easy to customize to my own liking. It can be pricey, but it's second only to my 7.62X39 AR in my heart, I'll never sell it!

Sheol151

Post by Sheol151 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:00 am

Saiga in .308 for 650.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/inde ... cts_id=230" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:59 am

FAL definitely wins out as far as best .308 right behind the M1A that is :o

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:10 am

Saiga .308 -$490. (gilberts guns)
FCG -$40
Grip -$40
Ace Stock -$185 (you could go with a $40. tapco)
=$755

All new, and you know what you got.

WWSD?

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:32 am

#1 choice - FAL , you can still find reasonably priced ones out there , in fact , now is a good time as I am noticing a lot of people selling off their 7.62x51 cal guns.

M1As are also very nice as are AR10s , but as cash is a concern , I would look into a Saiga if a FAL is out of reach.
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:36 am

I think the L1A1 is absolutely the finest weapon ever created, but that's probably just my foriegn pretensions. Cheap mags and dissassembles/reassembles faster than an AK.

The unfortunate truth of the matter is 7.62N is an expensive round in, mostly, expensive weapons. If economy is key, the Saiga is probably your best bet, although I've talked some people out of them based on the price of their mags.
ImageImage

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:40 pm

Jvandenhaus wrote:I think the L1A1 is absolutely the finest weapon ever created, but that's probably just my foriegn pretensions. Cheap mags and dissassembles/reassembles faster than an AK.

The unfortunate truth of the matter is 7.62N is an expensive round in, mostly, expensive weapons. If economy is key, the Saiga is probably your best bet, although I've talked some people out of them based on the price of their mags.
True that. The price of Saiga mags quickly eats into the savings on the rifle. At $50 for a high cap, or $35 for an 8 rd, you'll be spending that extra $300 on mags pretty quick.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:26 pm

FAL all the way.
"I can't take up my musket and fight'em now no more,
but I ain't gonna love'em, now that is certain sure,
and I don't want no pardon for what I was and am.
I won't be Reconstructed, and I don't care a damn."

Organdonor

Post by Organdonor » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:39 pm

If you're looking for a cheaper shooter, how about something in 7.62X39?

I have an AR-15 in that caliber, and the ammo is cheaper than .223, and it eats cheap crappy Russian and Chinese ammo.

If you're looking to at 100 yards and closer, the commie round will do it for you. If you're looking at 100 yards +, then .308 is the way to go.

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:19 am

If cheaper ammo is the deciding factor then mosey on into the 5.45 corral. Surplus soviet 7N6 can still be had very economically.

If you're dead set on a .308 weapon then go with the FAL. Very robust, spare parts and mags are cheap.

And yes, I can make that recommendation because I actually own one.

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

tilt

Post by tilt » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:39 am

I'm gonna rock the boat and say:

"Buy an M1A and cry once..."
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:17 am

I'm going to rock the boat again, and say try this:

The Browning BLR.
It's stainless, pretty much corrosion proof, shoots any .308 round, has a fast ambidextrous action, and comes apart to be easily stowed.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

BB42924

Post by BB42924 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:58 pm

I say go with a FAL.
On a side note, what does everyone have against the Hesse FALs? I've got one and the thing is reliable and solid. Anything I should know about it?

tilt

Post by tilt » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:41 am

crypto wrote:I'm going to rock the boat again, and say try this:

The Browning BLR.
It's stainless, pretty much corrosion proof, shoots any .308 round, has a fast ambidextrous action, and comes apart to be easily stowed.

Browning makes some of the best looking stocks out there... it's like they have a magical forest full of super-awesome-wooden-stock-making trees...

I also like the removable magazine. My only complaint with them is the straight stock as opposed to a semi-pistol grip...
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

Dave_M

Post by Dave_M » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:34 am

BB42924 wrote:On a side note, what does everyone have against the Hesse FALs? I've got one and the thing is reliable and solid. Anything I should know about it?
If you have a Hesse gun that is reliable and solid, you should have purchased a lottery ticket the same day as the rifle. You'd surely be a millionaire. Hesse has about the worst reputation of any manufacturer. Terrible, hideous, often dangerous work. That's why Hesse changed their name to Vulcan to whatever and now to Blackthorne. Once the word gets out they have to change their name again.

Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Snakedriver
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (Remake), Dead Alive, Zombieland

Post by Snakedriver » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:08 am

DavePAL84 wrote:
BB42924 wrote:On a side note, what does everyone have against the Hesse FALs? I've got one and the thing is reliable and solid. Anything I should know about it?
If you have a Hesse gun that is reliable and solid, you should have purchased a lottery ticket the same day as the rifle. You'd surely be a millionaire. Hesse has about the worst reputation of any manufacturer. Terrible, hideous, often dangerous work. That's why Hesse changed their name to Vulcan to whatever and now to Blackthorne. Once the word gets out they have to change their name again.

But Dave, they are the machine guns of the special forces!

I would say that given your qualifications, it is going to be very hard to find something that you are happy with. I would bite the bullet and save up for an M1A. It is really the only game in town with your specifications.
Formerly known as OHMR95B

AR/HK USP45/Pro Shotgun/Pro Cake

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:53 am

tilt wrote: Browning makes some of the best looking stocks out there... it's like they have a magical forest full of super-awesome-wooden-stock-making trees...

I do believe that one is a laminated stock, not solid wood. the 'grain' is made by alternating colored layers of laminated wood. Laminate stocks are far advantageous to solid wood stocks for weather resistant applications, since they are pressure-injected with polyurethane or epoxy during construction. Essentially the stock is a solid block of polymer with a reinforcing latticework of wood throughout it. It's amazingly strong, reassuringly heavy, and impermeable by water or most solvents. they're really tough.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”