The New & Improved, "What have you done to your AR today" thread

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

The New & Improved, "What have you done to your AR today" thread

Post by NT2C » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:48 pm

So I got some parts in the mail today and just got two of them installed. The first is an ambi safety selector and the second was a set of anti-walk roll pins. The roll pins probably would have been fine as I've not noticed any inclination for them to walk so far but I want this build to be as bulletproof and reliable as I can make it so out with the originals and in with the new ones.

The ambi safety I'm kinda on the fence about. I'm right-handed and so is my wife, but we do have southpaw friends and it is nice to be able to see the status of the safety easily no matter which side is up when it's on the shooting bench. Unfortunately, in the fire position it rubs on my trigger finger quite a bit, enough that it's giving me second thoughts about it. I'd rather not have to learn a different way of holding my hand and pressing the trigger, and a raw spot after a day at the range is a non-starter. Yes, I do wear gloves sometimes at the range but I prefer not to. We'll see how it goes and maybe I'll change the AR Stoner safety to a different one.

The third part is a new bolt catch and I'll do that when I have the right punches available.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: The New & Improved, "What have you done to your AR today" thread

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:54 pm

This was a couple weeks ago, but I swapped the grip on my AR from a Magpul K2 grip to a standard MOE grip. I found the MOE grip fit my hand better than the K2 grip did.

The K2 grip was only purchased because it was the only one I liked that the Academy store in Lubbock had in stock at the time.

It was either that grip or the smaller SL grip they had as well. That one just felt odd.

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:28 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:48 pm
The ambi safety I'm kinda on the fence about. I'm right-handed and so is my wife, but we do have southpaw friends and it is nice to be able to see the status of the safety easily no matter which side is up when it's on the shooting bench. Unfortunately, in the fire position it rubs on my trigger finger quite a bit, enough that it's giving me second thoughts about it. I'd rather not have to learn a different way of holding my hand and pressing the trigger, and a raw spot after a day at the range is a non-starter. Yes, I do wear gloves sometimes at the range but I prefer not to. We'll see how it goes and maybe I'll change the AR Stoner safety to a different one.
Maybe shave the right side of the safety a bit and smooth it down?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:42 pm

boskone wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:28 pm
NT2C wrote:
About how long is the lever on the right side ?

I've seen some that have a shorter lever on the right side to combat this issue. I know Geissele and I think Spikes Tactical sell ambi safeties that have a short lever on the right side.

I'm thinking of picking up a Geissele ambi safety myself. A set of anti walk pins might be a good investment as well.

Although, I do have a B.A.D lever on my AR so I'm not sure how well a set of anti walk pins would play together with it.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:45 pm

I'll take pics tonight. A little Dremel work might help but removes the phosphate coating.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:15 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:42 pm
boskone wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:28 pm
NT2C wrote:
About how long is the lever on the right side ?

I've seen some that have a shorter lever on the right side to combat this issue. I know Geissele and I think Spikes Tactical sell ambi safeties that have a short lever on the right side.

I'm thinking of picking up a Geissele ambi safety myself. A set of anti walk pins might be a good investment as well.

Although, I do have a B.A.D lever on my AR so I'm not sure how well a set of anti walk pins would play together with it.
It's the same size as the standard government lever on the left. In fact, it's a mirror image:

Here's how it rubs:

It's a little exaggerated because holding the AR and taking the pictures is awkward. Yes, I prefer to have the trigger right ahead of the first finger joint. I don't like using the tip of the finger to fire except when shooting on a rest.

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:34 pm

Yeah, I think one of the Geissele or Spikes Tactical safeties with the short lever on the right side might be better for you, NT2C.

I had been looking at the AR Stoner safeties at Midway, but seeing your issue has me thinking otherwise. Looks like I'm going Geissele again.

Which is ok since they were at the top of my list anyway.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:11 am

Installed the new bolt latch. I rather like this one from Strike Industries. Nice, wide, serrated pad for setting the catch to hold the bolt open, vs that tiny little point on the stock latch. I also replaced the firing pin retainer with a Perma Pin from KNS Precision last week and forgot to mention it. Next improvement for this build is going to be an ambi charging handle but those damn things are pricey bastards, in relation to the price of, say, the lower.

Current Weather in My AO

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:41 am

I had to sell mine, the weirdo that bought it painted it lots of bright colors like a COD gun :/

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:34 am

NT2C wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:11 am
Installed the new bolt latch. I rather like this one from Strike Industries. Nice, wide, serrated pad for setting the catch to hold the bolt open, vs that tiny little point on the stock latch. I also replaced the firing pin retainer with a Perma Pin from KNS Precision last week and forgot to mention it. Next improvement for this build is going to be an ambi charging handle but those damn things are pricey bastards, in relation to the price of, say, the lower.
I've got a couple ambi charging handles I could send you if you'd like, NT2C.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:52 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:34 am
NT2C wrote:
If you wouldn't mind, that'd be much appreciated. You should have my address but if not I'll PM it.

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:19 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:52 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
NT2C wrote:
If you wouldn't mind, that'd be much appreciated. You should have my address but if not I'll PM it.
I don't mind at all, NT2C. I've got your address written down somewhere and once I find it, I'll get the charging handles sent out to you. :D

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:19 am

Absolutely nothing.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:06 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:19 am
Absolutely nothing.
Well, go oil it or something. It probably misses you.

Current Weather in My AO

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:16 pm

Does "Look at it longingly" count? It's too damned hot for range time right now.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:26 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:52 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
NT2C wrote:
PM sent, NT2C.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:14 pm

I forgot to mention this, but I installed an XTS brand ambi safety selector on my AR and immediately disliked it.

The lever on the right hand side was too long and rubbed on my trigger finger. So I placed an order with Midway and got a Geissele Posi-Snap ambi safety instead. Took a little under a week to get it (Midway originally estimated I'd get my part around the 22nd of this month) and I got it installed with little effort.

It feels a lot better than the XTS one despite having a very minor amount of play in it. Still, it works and the play doesn't affect function at all.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:45 pm

And I forgot to mention I added one of the ambi charging handles Chimpski so graciously sent me. It works great for my purposes.

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:56 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:45 pm
And I forgot to mention I added one of the ambi charging handles Chimpski so graciously sent me. It works great for my purposes.
Glad you could make use of them, NT2C.

I swear my AR is going to end up being more Geissele and Magpul than Del-Ton by the time I'm done with it. :lol:

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:23 am

NT2C wrote:
The ambi safety I'm kinda on the fence about. I'm right-handed and so is my wife, but we do have southpaw friends and it is nice to be able to see the status of the safety easily no matter which side is up when it's on the shooting bench. Unfortunately, in the fire position it rubs on my trigger finger quite a bit,
I kind of hate to recommend it since its such a cheap piece of junk, but the Joe Bob Outfitters ambi selector lever has one of the levers relief cut quite a bit and I've found it to solve this problem handily; even better than the short levers on higher end selectors.

It IS a cheap piece of junk made in the US of A though, which makes me feel better; its not the smoothest selector I've used but it is affordable and so far it works, and the short throw option has been great. I have it on two of my lowers now and will probably keep using them on new builds if no problems pop up.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:01 am

RonnyRonin wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:23 am
NT2C wrote:
The ambi safety I'm kinda on the fence about. I'm right-handed and so is my wife, but we do have southpaw friends and it is nice to be able to see the status of the safety easily no matter which side is up when it's on the shooting bench. Unfortunately, in the fire position it rubs on my trigger finger quite a bit,
I kind of hate to recommend it since its such a cheap piece of junk, but the Joe Bob Outfitters ambi selector lever has one of the levers relief cut quite a bit and I've found it to solve this problem handily; even better than the short levers on higher end selectors.

It IS a cheap piece of junk made in the US of A though, which makes me feel better; its not the smoothest selector I've used but it is affordable and so far it works, and the short throw option has been great. I have it on two of my lowers now and will probably keep using them on new builds if no problems pop up.
Thanks for the recommendation but I think I'm probably going to make my own version of that with my Dremel. I figure a few minutes work with the right bits and then a little blueing should do it up the way I want.

Current Weather in My AO

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:47 am

JF89 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:41 am
I had to sell mine, the weirdo that bought it painted it lots of bright colors like a COD gun :/
That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:41 pm

So, with the addition of my new light (Crimson Trace CWL-202) I'm trying to decide what my next addition/upgrade on the AR should be.

My budget is small to almost nothing, so expensive goodies like a new sight or a drop-in trigger are not possible, but this is the Barbie of firearms, the possibilities are endless. Maybe an ambi-mag release? Maybe start checking our barter area and see what turns up?

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:12 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:41 pm
So, with the addition of my new light (Crimson Trace CWL-202) I'm trying to decide what my next addition/upgrade on the AR should be.

My budget is small to almost nothing, so expensive goodies like a new sight or a drop-in trigger are not possible, but this is the Barbie of firearms, the possibilities are endless. Maybe an ambi-mag release? Maybe start checking our barter area and see what turns up?
Strike Industries makes an interesting ambi-mag release for about 37 bucks. I've thought about putting one on my AR, but I'm not sure.

I may just put a larger mag release button (or knob or whatever it's actually called) and go with that instead.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”