A present for my wife ...

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: A present for my wife ...

Post by woodsghost » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:19 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:02 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:14 pm
I really wanted an H&R for a really small budget and could not find it for the price I wanted. The price difference between a Henry single shot and a Rossi in .357 Mag is too small for me to go for the Henry, and the weight of a Rossi is fantastic. I think the Henry's are $350, and a Rossi can be had for $450-$550.

If you can find a H&R for the right price, I'd jump on that. Otherwise, I'd give some consideration to a Rossi lever gun.

For $1000, there is a .357 pump action in my area, but that is way out of my budget.
A buddy of mine has a pump .357, I thought he said Remington Timber Wolf, but Google doesn't give me any hits for that name. I think it's a cool concept. I'm particularly fond of loading my 870 from the bottom. I was able to open that port a lot on the milling machine and made loading the tube much easier.
https://www.armslist.com/posts/11692382 ... imber-wolf

IWI Timeberwolf
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

M813

Post by M813 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:04 am

This is a fortuitous thread. I'm curious about a light rifle for my wife *and* there is discussion about Henry rifles in this thread.

I was thinking that the Henry AR-7 would be suitable for her. https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/

Light, compact, maximum effective range is appropriate for home/neighborhood defense. Very useful for small game hunting.

Thoughts?

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:29 am

M813 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:04 am
This is a fortuitous thread. I'm curious about a light rifle for my wife *and* there is discussion about Henry rifles in this thread.

I was thinking that the Henry AR-7 would be suitable for her. https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/

Light, compact, maximum effective range is appropriate for home/neighborhood defense. Very useful for small game hunting.

Thoughts?
Owned the Charter Arms version. not accurate. Barrel attachment method primary culprit. So-so reliability depends on mags. Better results with a TD 10/22 with case.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:32 am

jor-el wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:29 am
M813 wrote:

Thoughts?
Owned the Charter Arms version. not accurate. Barrel attachment method primary culprit. So-so reliability depends on mags. Better results with a TD 10/22 with case.
Or maybe a 10/22 Charger with a folding brace?

Not sure a .22lr would be my go-to for defense. Maybe one of the .357 levers or something.

M813

Post by M813 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:18 am

Thanks, guys! I think I'll steer towards a different rifle.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:04 am

boskone wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:32 am
jor-el wrote:
M813 wrote:

Thoughts?
Or maybe a 10/22 Charger with a folding brace?

Not sure a .22lr would be my go-to for defense. Maybe one of the .357 levers or something.
I can't recommend anything less than 9mm or .38 Spcl for SD. .22 is better than a pointy stick, I'm tired of hearing those retorts. The defender needs to impart kinetic energy on the threat or else why bother.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:39 am

jor-el wrote:
M813 wrote:

Thoughts?
of the 3 companies that have made AR-7's Charter Arms are by far the worst.
I have heard good things about the Hennery version, but as you do remove the barrel when you break it down, I would imagine that the POI will shift every time you are assembling it.

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:17 am

Match the gun to the capabilities of the user. I've seen so many people pushed into a 9mm that wasn't ready for it. At the range they can dump a 22 rapid fire into a head size target and when you hand them a 9 they are all over the target. What's more tactically effective for that shooter- putting 3 in the face or 1 in the arm? The answer is obvious.

People have to be realistic about their capabilities and how much time they are going to put into practice. Pushing for a centerfire gun can reduce the tactical effectiveness of small or inexperienced shooters as well as increase the cost of practice to build up fundamental skills.

I've been a firearm instructor for almost 20 years now and my advice for new shooters is almost always- put 2,000 rounds through a 22, then you'll know enough about yourself to choose a more effective firearm for your purpose. So buying a first gun? Almost always a 22, imo. I think all these first time gun buyers with shiny new Glocks that load them and put them in a drawer are not only going to be ineffective at home defense but are an accident waiting to happen.

All that said, the closest thing you can get to a 22 recoil wise is a light load in a manually operated rifle, like a bolt action or lever gun. A 38 special in a 357 lever gun is pretty light recoiling- the only barrier is learning to properly operate the lever to not short stroke. And when skills start to build, you can move up to heavier loads.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:23 am

PistolPete wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:17 am
All that said, the closest thing you can get to a 22 recoil wise is a light load in a manually operated rifle, like a bolt action or lever gun. A 38 special in a 357 lever gun is pretty light recoiling- the only barrier is learning to properly operate the lever to not short stroke. And when skills start to build, you can move up to heavier loads.
I bought mom a .38spl 5-round "pocket revolver" years ago, after a near-break in, because her hands are too small to even grab most full-sized pistols. Dad's then-favorite pistol (A Ruger Redhawk in .44mag) was basically a non-starter. (Good pistol, but it's definitely a large-frame gun for large-frame people.)

I think it's maybe a S&W Airweight? It's been 20 or so years, I can't remember now.

After she got used to it, it's mostly been loaded with .38spl +P which makes up some of the gap between .38spl and .357mag. I wish, though, I'd gotten her the .357 version just so the option was available.

(These days she carries an LCPII, but I think that little .38 is still her bedside gun.)

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”