A present for my wife ...

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

A present for my wife ...

Post by BullOnParade » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:56 pm

So, my wife's pregnant, and has been blatantly suggesting a "push present" is in order ... She has strongly indicated an interest in her own lever action (after I bought and customized my Mares Leg).

We own a small piece of hunting property in northern Ontario.

My wife has an over under 12 guage. I have (the above mentioned) mares leg, a couple of 870s, a sporterized Enfield and a few good-enough .22 bolts and semis. Most of my rifles were handed down from my dad. I also have a Stag 10 which I bought to hunt with, so now I only have the Enfield as a hunting rifle.

Her interest in a lever action, and me not having a good .22 makes me wonder what's out there for lever action .22s. Anything with a loading gate, or are they all tube loaded?
A 10-22 would be budget friendly, and could be improved as money allows.
A full size .357 lever action might be more what she's picturing, probably pushing the limits of my budget.
Or something in a deer capable caliber ... I have a few hundred rounds in .308 with nothing to legally fire them. My next purchase for myself is likely to be a BLR.

Make some suggestions? Money's pretty tight, but obviously not so tight I can't look around for a deal. Let's set a budget of $750 ... but remember there's a kid on the way and cheaper is better.
BullOnParade
It has to start somewhere. It has to start sometime. What better place than here? What better time than now?

Bug Out Bag for:
Baby
Dog

Stercutus

Re: A present for my wife ...

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:30 pm

All things considered I get her a 10/22 with a suppressor. Can't speak for North of the border prices but that would come in under $500 down here.

Some safety advice on shooting while knocked up.

https://www.juliegolob.com/wp-content/u ... _Golob.pdf
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

EdRider

Post by EdRider » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:25 pm

I can suggest a couple of Henry options:

First, the Long Ranger in .308 (may be more of a present for you and close to budget)

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/henry- ... tion-rifle

Or their .22 lever rifle

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/henry- ... tid=324714

( I don't work for Henry or Academy, but my buddy got the brass framed .357 and we can shoot crows in a field with it)

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:45 am

I second the recommendation of a Henry .22 leaver gun. I believe that the .22s are all loaded through the end of the tube.
other calibers have side loading gates, but you cant go wrong with Henry. [also don't work for Henry, but they come with the smoothest leaver actions of my 4 manufactures go leaver guns.]

HarlequinHal

Post by HarlequinHal » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:52 am

Don't be afraid of a Rossi R92. They come in models ranging from 16 to 24 inches, round or octagon barrels, and you can sometimes find them with the big loop. Calibers from .357 to .454 Casull, and they just released a .22 called the Rio Bravo that is near identical to the Henry H001. I have a 20" .357 and it shoots great. Only complaint I had was the finish on the stock was a bit bland, but for the price you can't expect the gloss of a Miroku Winchester.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:18 am

If looking at a .357, a quick look at Ballistics by the Inch will show the optimal barrel length is 16 inches or 406mm. The website will show optimal lengths for other calibers too.

I like my Henry .357, and I paid about $675USD for it. I really prefer the round barrels on guns because they are lighter and I expect to carry in the field more than shoot/plink with it. But a heavy barrel is nice for shooting hot loads or long strings of plinking.

I love how light and handy the Rossi 16 inch M92 is. There can be issues, but a machinist like yourself can iron those out if you have any issues. Also, there are online videos.

I went with the Henry over the Rossi because of the nicer wood, the heavier stock (stocks can get broken with carelessness), the better optics mounting options, the larger loop (for gloved use), the rubber butt pad, the sights (which can be changed on either model), and the sling swivels being built in. The Henry is also supposed to have a better/smoother action (needs 500 or so cycles to really break in, but it is nice!), but I imagine a Rossi could be slicked up to match.

Given that a number of internet writers experienced issues with the Rossi, and I could find a Henry for a close enough price, I opted for the Henry. But I still adore the Rossi, and the Rossi has a true 16 inch barrel while the Henry "16.5 inch barrel" is actually 17.5 inches, so I'm figuring out if that matters in the real world to my .357 Mag ballistics or not. I'm also irritated that the Henry seems to have injection molded metal parts, and the Rossis I have looked at didn't appear to have any evidence of injection molding. Also, the Rossi has side gate loading while the Henry has tube loading. Both have their advantages.

I've now owned both the brass/octogonal/20 inch barreled (true 20 inches) Henry and the steel/round/"16.5 inch" barreled Henry. Both are beautiful guns. The brass one was just more weight and length than I wanted in a field carry gun. Actually, truth be known, the Rossi is more what I was looking for in a field gun, and I may pick one up in 5 years.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:33 am

BullOnParade wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:56 pm
Make some suggestions? Money's pretty tight, but obviously not so tight I can't look around for a deal. Let's set a budget of $750 .
Is that budget in Canadian or U.S. dollars?
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:07 am

RickOShea wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:33 am
BullOnParade wrote:
Make some suggestions? Money's pretty tight, but obviously not so tight I can't look around for a deal. Let's set a budget of $750 .
Is that budget in Canadian or U.S. dollars?
I'll say american, just to give you an answer.
Canadian gun prices are the most fluid among any commodity I've ever witnessed.
Mostly just looking to weed out the $2k+ combo guns guns out there.
BullOnParade
It has to start somewhere. It has to start sometime. What better place than here? What better time than now?

Bug Out Bag for:
Baby
Dog

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:07 am

Marlin makes a fine lever gun as well.

However, if price is a factor, the 30/30 is probably the cheapest, most well rounded lever gun caliber out there. Well made by many companies.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gea ... e/p/p30459

This is new, but I'd submit that you'd find plenty of used ones in racks at Pawn shops and guns stores, they are about the most prolific rifle out there

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:12 am

lailr wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:07 am

However, if price is a factor, the 30/30 is probably the cheapest, most well rounded lever gun caliber out there. Well made by many companies.
I just found this morning that marlin made an 1895 in .410 this year. I'm not burdened with an abundance of knowledge around the .410 loadings, been reading a bit about their capabilities, looks a little on the weak side for deer?
BullOnParade

Bug Out Bag for:
Baby
Dog

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:19 am

BullOnParade wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:12 am
lailr wrote:

I just found this morning that marlin made an 1895 in .410 this year. I'm not burdened with an abundance of knowledge around the .410 loadings, been reading a bit about their capabilities, looks a little on the weak side for deer?
Very weak. Most are about like a .380 ACP if you look at grains/velocity. But Brenneke makes one which is about like a .40S&W, and that is probably the best choice. On the other hand, plenty of people take deer with the .410, but it seems they are choosy with their shots and get close. Technically, a deer can be killed with a .22LR.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:28 am

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:19 am
BullOnParade wrote:
lailr wrote:

Very weak. Most are about like a .380 ACP if you look at grains/velocity. But Brenneke makes one which is about like a .40S&W, and that is probably the best choice. On the other hand, plenty of people take deer with the .410, but it seems they are choosy with their shots and get close. Technically, a deer can be killed with a .22LR.
Our land is dense coniferous forest, I doubt you have a line of sight much over 70 yards in the whole lot.
I'll have to check the local regulations. So far, that's a (slightly over budget) contender.
BullOnParade

Bug Out Bag for:
Baby
Dog

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:30 am

lailr wrote:
Man, I have to disagree there. Marlin used to make a fine lever gun, but their current offerings are sub-par. And the models they made in the years after they moved the factory are downright junk. The finishing on newly manufactured Marlins falls behind Rossi and falls way behind Henry. The gun forums are full of unhappy customers and I picked up on that was made a couple years ago and the action sucks, the forend doesn't fit right and it's already got rust spots on it. I'm very disappointed in their fit and finish and after some research I'm not alone.

A 10/22 is always a great choice, and a Henry 22 is a really slick and lightweight package. Both will easily add an optic if vision is a concern. If it's not, a 16" Rossi 92 in 357 is a wonderful gun. 38 specials offer very low recoil and full power 357 loads are suitable for light skinned medium game. The only downside is they can't take traditional optics, you can use a mount in place of the rear sight for a red dot or scout scope, but that limits options.

The Henry Big Boy rifles are nice, although the side gate models are new and harder to find. I've got one in 327 Federal Magnum and it's a sweet shooter. But take an hour to smooth out a Rossi and they are just as smooth as the Henry's, although the Henry centerfire guns typically have much nicer looking wood.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:24 am

PistolPete wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:30 am
lailr wrote:
Man, I have to disagree there. Marlin used to make a fine lever gun, but their current offerings are sub-par. And the models they made in the years after they moved the factory are downright junk.
I bought my last one around 2003, so I won't nay-say you... I'll just add that I hate to hear that, if it's the case. Every one I've had my hands on has shot well....... But, I will admit that I haven't had my hands on a newer one

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:28 am

BullOnParade wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:28 am
woodsghost wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:19 am
BullOnParade wrote:
lailr wrote:

Our land is dense coniferous forest, I doubt you have a line of sight much over 70 yards in the whole lot.
I'll have to check the local regulations. So far, that's a (slightly over budget) contender.
Henry makes one too. I would make sure any .410 has 3 inch/76.2mm chambers. That is where you get your powerful loads. The Henry, last I checked, only had 2.5 inch chambers. I'm willing to shoot a deer with a lot of stuff, but a 2.5 inch .410 slug is not on the list.

Just me though.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:38 am

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:28 am
Henry makes one too. I would make sure any .410 has 3 inch/76.2mm chambers. That is where you get your powerful loads. The Henry, last I checked, only had 2.5 inch chambers. I'm willing to shoot a deer with a lot of stuff, but a 2.5 inch .410 slug is not on the list.

Just me though.
Yeah. That's what I've concluded from my reading this morning. The 1895 in .410 is also 2.5", seems they've been made popular by 45lc/.410 handgun loadings.

The hunt continues!
BullOnParade

Bug Out Bag for:
Baby
Dog

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:25 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:38 am
woodsghost wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:28 am

Just me though.
Yeah. That's what I've concluded from my reading this morning. The 1895 in .410 is also 2.5", seems they've been made popular by 45lc/.410 handgun loadings.

The hunt continues!
If it runs .45 LC, that would be a good deer round, but in that case, I'd rather just have a .45 LC rifle. If I could chamber a .45LC and use a rifled choke, I think that .410 would start looking pretty good. But I have not looked into them that close.

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:29 pm

lailr wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:24 am
I bought my last one around 2003, so I won't nay-say you... I'll just add that I hate to hear that, if it's the case. Every one I've had my hands on has shot well....... But, I will admit that I haven't had my hands on a newer one
Mine is a 44 magnum. I haven't found a load that it likes yet, but I haven't given up. I have yet to find a load it shoots as precisely as my Rossi in 44 mag, but to rule out it being my old-ass eyes not liking the irons, I just threw a low power scope on it and next time at the range I'll try again with that.

I was really disappointed, I should have looked it over more closely in the rack when I bought it, but I'd always wanted a Marlin 94 and it was the right price and looked good at first glance. I've got loads ranging from 180 to 300 grains ready for my next range trip, hopefully I'll find the bullet weight it likes. If not, I may have to slug the barrel, maybe it's a bit on the fat side.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:59 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
So, my wife's pregnant, and has been blatantly suggesting a "push present" is in order ... She has strongly indicated an interest in her own lever action (after I bought and customized my Mares Leg).

My wife has an over under 12 guage. I have (the above mentioned) mares leg, a couple of 870s, a sporterized Enfield and a few good-enough .22 bolts and semis. Most of my rifles were handed down from my dad. I also have a Stag 10 which I bought to hunt with, so now I only have the Enfield as a hunting rifle.

Her interest in a lever action, and me not having a good .22 makes me wonder what's out there for lever action .22s. Anything with a loading gate, or are they all tube loaded?
A full size .357 lever action might be more what she's picturing, probably pushing the limits of my budget.
Or something in a deer capable caliber ... I have a few hundred rounds in .308 with nothing to legally fire them. My next purchase for myself is likely to be a BLR.

Make some suggestions? Money's pretty tight, but obviously not so tight I can't look around for a deal. Let's set a budget of $750 ... but remember there's a kid on the way and cheaper is better.
I have a Henry Golden Boy in .22LR, which I absolutely adore. Beautiful gun (brass, hickory, and blued steel with an octagonal barrel? Oh, yea.). Just put a Skinner peep sight on it, rather than the semi-buckhorn thing it comes with. It's tube-loading. $575 or something USD.

If I hadn't wanted the Golden Boy mostly because I think it's a gorgeous goddamned gun , I'd've probably gotten a Frontier Threaded; same action and magazine, steel frame, 24" barrel with threaded muzzle. $525-ish USD. Maybe the .22WMR for like $650.

There's an un-threaded Frontier with a longer mag, but if you had it threaded and a suppressor on it would intefer with the tube.

Regarding deer-capable, dad's got a .44 Mag Henry single-shot, and took a deer at 120yd last year. They're not long-range guns, but they're perfectly capable of the job, and it makes a dandy little brush gun.

Henry also has spectacular customer support, from my own very limited experience and everything I've heard first-hand.

So, if I had to summarize:
  • If you want an heirloom-quality gun (and stick within your suggested budget), get a Henry:
    • Get a Frontier Threaded if you want to run suppressed
    • Get any of the .22s if you want a fun plinker
    • Get a single-shot in .44 mag (maybe .357, but can't personally attest) if you want a multipurpose gun (the .44 mag can shoot .44spl, the .357 can shoot .38spl)
    • In any case, get some Skinner peep sights for it
  • Get the 10/22 if you want something with an galaxy of options (I'd suggest Tech Sights peep sights)
Which isn't to say the Rossi and whatnot options aren't good, these are just the ones with which I have personal experience.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:09 am

boskone wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:59 pm
BullOnParade wrote:

My wife has an over under 12 gauge. I have (the above mentioned) mares leg, a couple of 870s, a sporterized Enfield and a few good-enough .22 bolts and semis. Most of my rifles were handed down from my dad. I also have a Stag 10 which I bought to hunt with, so now I only have the Enfield as a hunting rifle.

I have a Henry Golden Boy in .22LR, which I absolutely adore. Beautiful gun (brass, hickory, and blued steel with an octagonal barrel? Oh, yea.). Just put a Skinner peep sight on it, rather than the semi-buckhorn thing it comes with. It's tube-loading. $575 or something USD.

If I hadn't wanted the Golden Boy mostly because I think it's a gorgeous goddamned gun , I'd've probably gotten a Frontier Threaded; same action and magazine, steel frame, 24" barrel with threaded muzzle. $525-ish USD. Maybe the .22WMR for like $650.

There's an un-threaded Frontier with a longer mag, but if you had it threaded and a suppressor on it would interfere with the tube.

Regarding deer-capable, dad's got a .44 Mag Henry single-shot, and took a deer at 120yd last year. They're not long-range guns, but they're perfectly capable of the job, and it makes a dandy little brush gun.

Henry also has spectacular customer support, from my own very limited experience and everything I've heard first-hand.

• If you want an heirloom-quality gun (and stick within your suggested budget), get a Henry:
    • Get a single-shot in .44 mag (maybe .357, but can't personally attest) if you want a multipurpose gun (the .44 mag can shoot .44spl, the .357 can shoot .38spl)
  • Get the 10/22 if you want something with an galaxy of options (I'd suggest Tech Sights peep sights)
Which isn't to say the Rossi and whatnot options aren't good, these are just the ones with which I have personal experience.
That's it then. A single-shot .357. That's my next gun. Something I might actually need. H&R Handi, single-shot. Unless that's not frugal-budget friendly.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:36 am

Lara recognized the value of a detachable mag semi-auto rifle the moment she saw rooftop Koreans in 1992. She's been recently updated to a 580 blued Mini-14.
Since the ANTIFA/BLM protests out here, the call for more mags has been sounded. Also because of those same protests, you may have a hard time just finding anything gunwise anywhere.

You really want a Henry and a .308? If you can find one...

My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:14 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:09 am
boskone wrote:
BullOnParade wrote:

My wife has an over under 12 gauge. I have (the above mentioned) mares leg, a couple of 870s, a sporterized Enfield and a few good-enough .22 bolts and semis. Most of my rifles were handed down from my dad. I also have a Stag 10 which I bought to hunt with, so now I only have the Enfield as a hunting rifle.

There's an un-threaded Frontier with a longer mag, but if you had it threaded and a suppressor on it would interfere with the tube.

That's it then. A single-shot .357. That's my next gun. Something I might actually need. H&R Handi, single-shot. Unless that's not frugal-budget friendly.
I really wanted an H&R for a really small budget and could not find it for the price I wanted. The price difference between a Henry single shot and a Rossi in .357 Mag is too small for me to go for the Henry, and the weight of a Rossi is fantastic. I think the Henry's are $350, and a Rossi can be had for $450-$550.

If you can find a H&R for the right price, I'd jump on that. Otherwise, I'd give some consideration to a Rossi lever gun.

For $1000, there is a .357 pump action in my area, but that is way out of my budget.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:27 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:14 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:09 am
boskone wrote:
BullOnParade wrote:

I really wanted an H&R for a really small budget and could not find it for the price I wanted. The price difference between a Henry single shot and a Rossi in .357 Mag is too small for me to go for the Henry, and the weight of a Rossi is fantastic. I think the Henry's are $350, and a Rossi can be had for $450-$550.

If you can find a H&R for the right price, I'd jump on that. Otherwise, I'd give some consideration to a Rossi lever gun.

For $1000, there is a .357 pump action in my area, but that is way out of my budget.
There wasn't one on Armslist in .357. At least not from a private person. .44's were around $450 & up.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:02 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:14 pm

A buddy of mine has a pump .357, I thought he said Remington Timber Wolf, but Google doesn't give me any hits for that name. I think it's a cool concept. I'm particularly fond of loading my 870 from the bottom. I was able to open that port a lot on the milling machine and made loading the tube much easier.
BullOnParade

Bug Out Bag for:
Baby
Dog

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”