FAL Kit

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

FAL Kit

Post by lailr » Mon May 04, 2020 2:35 pm

https://palmettostatearmory.com/israeli ... azine.html

Anyone have any experience? Really, really need talked out of this.

Seems like the coolest thing in the world

woodsghost

Re: FAL Kit

Post by woodsghost » Mon May 04, 2020 2:40 pm

For that price? You need it!

I will rarely shy away from spending someone else's money on guns. Particularly if they are good guns ;)
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon May 04, 2020 3:14 pm

hunghhhh, hemmmmmm,

well..., it's never going to be a 100% authentic Israeli FAL, is it?
So, used parts plus new aftermarket receiver, barrel and mags =~ the same price as a used FAL repro w/mags package. YMMV

Have you priced them? Also remember the barrel needs to be the Hebrew Light version. [i'm not kidding, read the fine print].

ETA PSA disclaimer : Parts must be inspected and tested by qualified and competent gunsmiths or armorers before use in a firearm.

Not all firearm parts are interchangeable; the use of surplus parts without the proper knowledge could cause a firearm to malfunction and cause property damage, injury or death.

[/talked out of it]
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Mon May 04, 2020 3:41 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:14 pm
hunghhhh, hemmmmmm,

well..., it's never going to be a 100% authentic Israeli FAL, is it?
So, used parts plus new aftermarket receiver, barrel and mags =~ the same price as a used FAL repro w/mags package. YMMV

Have you priced them? Also remember the barrel needs to be the Hebrew Light version. [i'm not kidding, read the fine print].

ETA PSA disclaimer : Parts must be inspected and tested by qualified and competent gunsmiths or armorers before use in a firearm.

Not all firearm parts are interchangeable; the use of surplus parts without the proper knowledge could cause a firearm to malfunction and cause property damage, injury or death.

[/talked out of it]
Guess I just need to find a barrel and receiver sale to make it worth it....... I see what you're saying

delarey

Post by delarey » Wed May 20, 2020 6:15 pm

Barrel is going to be the biggest challenge. I had a Rhodie FAL kit many moons ago. Ended up selling the rifle. The parts were used and abused, but you really need to beat of beat on a FAL to break it!

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sun May 24, 2020 4:51 pm

DSA makes an Israeli marked receiver (they put their own marking on the inside of the mag well) as well as Izzy type barrels. Last I checked, they had the receivers in stock, but not barrels.

(I bought one of the kits. Hoping they get both the needed pieces in stock at the same time.)

Might also need a mag catch screw. The screw on the chunk of receiver that was included with my kit is peened in place. Possibly othe fiddly bits that that screw holds in place. I need to take it to my local smith and see what parts he can extract in usable condition.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

lailr

Post by lailr » Wed May 27, 2020 8:40 am

Langenator wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:51 pm
DSA makes an Israeli marked receiver (they put their own marking on the inside of the mag well) as well as Izzy type barrels. Last I checked, they had the receivers in stock, but not barrels.

(I bought one of the kits. Hoping they get both the needed pieces in stock at the same time.)

Might also need a mag catch screw. The screw on the chunk of receiver that was included with my kit is peened in place. Possibly othe fiddly bits that that screw holds in place. I need to take it to my local smith and see what parts he can extract in usable condition.
Ehh, It looks like it'll end up too expensive for a curio piece

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Wed May 27, 2020 5:44 pm

Yeah, you can build a really nice AR for what the total cost of all the pieces is going to run.

OTOH, I already have an AR-10 and an M14 clone. An Izzy FAL will go nicely with my 7.62 Izzy Mauser.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”