AR15 for Home defense

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RonnyRonin

Re: AR15 for Home defense

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:43 pm

another great AR/glock compromise is getting an endo adaptor for your glock; it maintains the light weight and one-handability of your glock with a third point of contact and a shorter OAL than a 9mm will the magwell in front of the grip
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:40 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:26 am
I recently put my AR9 out next the bed. Kinda-sorta a comprimise between the 5.56 & my Glock. :|
PCC's make great home defense weapons- get plenty of power with less noise and flash than a handgun or a AR-15.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:32 am

PistolPete wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:40 am
MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:26 am
I recently put my AR9 out next the bed. Kinda-sorta a comprimise between the 5.56 & my Glock. :|
PCC's make great home defense weapons- get plenty of power with less noise and flash than a handgun or a AR-15.
why would a PCC of the same caliber have less noise and flash?
(unless you are running too sort of a barrel for the powder to burn in with your handgun)

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:59 am

emclean wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:32 am
why would a PCC of the same caliber have less noise and flash?
(unless you are running too sort of a barrel for the powder to burn in with your handgun)
Because nobody runs a long enough barrel in their handgun to burn all the powder, since from most common handgun cartridges that's between 12 and 18 inches. When you have unburned powder as the bullet leaves the muzzle it ignites in atmosphere and creates a flash and extra noise. By using a gun with a longer barrel you're doing two things- you're burning all the powder inside the barrel and you're pushing the source of the flash and the bang further from your face. Since sound pressure drops off according to the square of distance, even pushing it out a short length can have an effect on sound pressure at the shooters face.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Laager

Post by Laager » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:32 pm

All I can say about any rifle, shotgun or pistol for home defense is they are loud and heck (you will end up dead for a bit) and the muzzle flame will ruin your night vision.

Ear Pro is your friend for sure, what we used to do was keep one eye closed when using our M-16s at night.

Especially when indoors. Even the Grease gun I often carried was not user friendly without ear pro and one eye closed. The shotgun was the worse of the three.
Last edited by Laager on Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:52 pm

Laager wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:32 pm
Even the Grease fun I often carried was not user friendly without ear pro and one eye closed.
Hey, what happens on bivouac, stays on bivouac. :oh:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Laager

Post by Laager » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:03 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:52 pm
Laager wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:32 pm
Even the Grease fun I often carried was not user friendly without ear pro and one eye closed.
Hey, what happens on bivouac, stays on bivouac. :oh:
LOL.....I loved the heck out of that gun, well after about 45 or so days spent at the range, until I could call the number of shots that I wanted to come out of the barrel. Our Master Sergeant was a hard task master. He really, really disliked spray and prays.

All kinds of weird things happen in the shower tent or hootch.

I entered the shower tent and there was Pvt Spencer trying to do the helicopter, while talking smack about what he had planned for our upcoming R&R.

Spindler: Hey Corporal I won the helicopter challenge. If you would have been here a few minutes ago, you could have watched me win.

Me: Hmmmm, I've seen it before (at Border Star) It's not a thrill, since I've seen it before. You might want to lay off those Filipino steroids you've been taking. From what I hear size does matter and you were short changed at birth.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”