22LR in a rifle, ok for defense?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: 22LR in a rifle, ok for defense?

Post by RickOShea » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:56 am

moab wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:34 am
Mechphisto wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:15 pm
Also, I've never owned an AR before, so I'm not very knowledgeable... Am I correct is understanding all I'd need would be that $130 lower you linked, this $340 22LR upper I'm linking, and aside from magazines, that's a complete and functioning gun?
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16- ... 46934.html
You asked for advice. And got excellent advice. And then thoroughly ignored it. lmao. Dude. A .22lr for self defense is terrible at best. You can get a VERY GOOD AR in 5.56 for $350-$400. And I mean VERY GOOD. Again, in 5.56. Which IS AN EXCELLENT DEFENSIVE ROUND. UNLIKE THE .22LR!

Palmetto State Armory makes VERY GOOD AR's. So does S&W (Smith & Wesson). And no they are not "really poor quality". I think at least 4 or 5 people have told you that in this thread.... :words:
First things first, calm down and take a breath.

Second, PSA has different grades of AR uppers....usually they are broken down into their "Freedom", "Classic", and "Premium" lines. Their VERY GOOD AR would be the Premium line which typically come with HPT and MPI chrome lined CHF barrels made by FN, along with other mil-spec parts. Those $350 ones are more of a hobby-grade rifle. They are DECENT ENOUGH for most folks, who typically only shoot a couple hundred rounds a year through them, and never run them hard.
Last edited by RickOShea on Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:04 am

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:56 am
moab wrote:
Mechphisto wrote:
Also, I've never owned an AR before, so I'm not very knowledgeable... Am I correct is understanding all I'd need would be that $130 lower you linked, this $340 22LR upper I'm linking, and aside from magazines, that's a complete and functioning gun?
You asked for advice. And got excellent advice. And then thoroughly ignored it. lmao. Dude. A .22lr for self defense is terrible at best. You can get a VERY GOOD AR in 5.56 for $350-$400. And I mean VERY GOOD. Again, in 5.56. Which IS AN EXCELLENT DEFENSIVE ROUND. UNLIKE THE .22LR!

Palmetto State Armory makes VERY GOOD AR's. So does S&W (Smith & Wesson). And no they are not "really poor quality". I think at least 4 or 5 people have told you that in this thread.... :words:

Second, PSA has different grades of AR uppers....usually they are broken down into their "Freedom", "Classic", and "Premium" lines. Their VERY GOOD AR would be the Premium line which typically come with HPT and MPI chrome lined CHF barrels made by FN, like this one. Those $350 ones are more of a hobby-grade rifle. They are DECENT ENOUGH for most folks, who typically only shoot a couple hundred rounds a year through them, and never run them hard.

I don't know man, I've seen the Freedom line hold up to a Patrol Rifle class, with more rounds through than I can remember.... 1,000+

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:07 am

lailr wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:04 am
I don't know man, I've seen the Freedom line hold up to a Patrol Rifle class, with more rounds through than I can remember.... 1,000+
I would really, really like to have seen that.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Mechphisto
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Zombieland," "28 Days Later," original "Night of the Living Dead"

Post by Mechphisto » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:14 am

moab wrote:
Mechphisto wrote:
[...]But what slays me is you've been told the above like three or four times now. And you continue to come back to "does anyone know if this .22 caliber AR will work?".

What EVERYONE has told you is an AR in .22lr sucks. And it's real simple. For about $350 you can buy an AR that can be both a 5.56 and a .22lr. Or you can spend $350 on a .22lr AR that CAN NOT BE CONVERTED TO 5.56. Which sucks.
And what you've kind of ignored is my primary stated goal: to shoot it a LOT. With defense as a MAYBE secondary purpose. You are presuming my goals are the other way 'round. Which is why you're frustrated that I keep coming back to asking about .22LR.
I already have a 9mm Glock 43X that is my primary defense weapon. I practice with it every other week, I keep 124gr JHP in it, I have my concealed carry license, it's by my bedside with a lanyard connected trigger guard on it, THAT is what I have primarily for defense.

Again, my original stated primary intent for my carbine is to enjoy shooting it a lot. I'm a very poor person. I can pretty easily afford .22LR, I CANNOT easily afford 5.56NATO. So if I had a carbine that only shot that, it'd just be sitting around doing nothing, because I'd have a box of 20 rounds that I would treat like gold.

Also, I have a friend who is a 5-year Marine veteran, who used to build and sell ARs, who is also giving me advice. While his advice is just as subjective as everyone else's, his previous advice to me about what handgun to get has been solid, so I trust it. His advice to shy away from what was suggested above as well. So if I'm "ignoring" it, it's for a very decent reason -- not my just being stubborn.

And not everyone has said an AR converted for .22LR sucks, some people have even provided suggestions on getting a .22LR upper for an AR lower. So some people understand what my original stated goal was.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback
Last edited by Mechphisto on Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mechphisto
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Zombieland," "28 Days Later," original "Night of the Living Dead"

Post by Mechphisto » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:20 am

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:56 am
moab wrote:
Mechphisto wrote:

Second, PSA has different grades of AR uppers....usually they are broken down into their "Freedom", "Classic", and "Premium" lines. Their VERY GOOD AR would be the Premium line which typically come with HPT and MPI chrome lined CHF barrels made by FN, along with other mil-spec parts. Those $350 ones are more of a hobby-grade rifle. They are DECENT ENOUGH for most folks, who typically only shoot a couple hundred rounds a year through them, and never run them hard.
Thanks for the support! :mrgreen:

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:37 am

No offense, it kinda seems like you have Cavier tastes, and a Spam budget

I'm in the same boat, but figured out a long time ago, that a budget AR, is better than no AR. Look at those Somali pirates, AK'S with rusted out dust covers beat no AK all the time. Not to mention the fact that AR's have to go up again at some point.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-r ... 5-carbine/

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/palmetto ... 15-review/

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?t ... ty.796095/

https://mdcreekmore.com/the-palmetto-st ... ory-ar-15/

I'm a LEO. I have a Delton and a PSA. My dept hasn't issued me a rifle, as I'm in the DV Unit. I qualify, carry, and ran through two different patrol rifle classes with my PSA.

They are better quality, I think, than what I had in the USAF. Reckon into your judgment too, that some folks are just AR snobs. (Nobody here, of course)
Last edited by lailr on Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mechphisto

Post by Mechphisto » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:43 am

lailr wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:37 am
No offense, it kinda seems like you have Cavier tastes, and a Spam budget
[...]
No offense taken. Because I'm poor, I'm used to having to buy cheap things, and cheap things break, wear out, need service more, than things that aren't cheap (usually. Exceptions exist. Like the Hi-Point for example :) From what I can tell, dirt cheap and almost impossible to get to stop working.)

I'll spend $15 for shoes at Walmart because that's all I can afford and accept that I'll have to replace them in 6 to 12 months. I would far rather wait YEARS if I have to to buy something of quality (like my Glock 43x) that I know I can trust (especially if my life may depend on it!!) than to buy spam.

lailr

Post by lailr » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:59 am

BTW, you know an AR-15 that chambers in 5.55 NATO can run .223 right? Much cheaper to practice with especially if you deal hunt.

AR's are so modular, start with a complete one, replace as you go with what you want, and by the time you're done, you're almost to another gun, which you can complete and retain, or sell to recoup cost

Mechphisto

Post by Mechphisto » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:08 pm

lailr wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:59 am
BTW, you know an AR-15 that chambers in 5.55 NATO can run .223 right? Much cheaper to practice with especially if you deal hunt.

AR's are so modular, start with a complete one, replace as you go with what you want, and by the time you're done, you're almost to another gun, which you can complete and retain, or sell to recoup cost
Best prices I can find at Sportsman's Warehouse: 5.56 costs around .35/round, .223 costs around .30/round, and .22LR costs around .04/round.
When you consider I want to go through probably at least a couple hundred round per visit to the range, and go to the range as close to weekly as possible, that difference adds up. Fast

lailr

Post by lailr » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:18 pm

Mechphisto

Post by Mechphisto » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:23 pm

lailr wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:18 pm
https://palmettostatearmory.com/case-of ... bf150.html

26 CENTS per round.
That's a (presumably limited time only) "Black Friday" sale. .22LR are .04 CENTS per rounds all year long.

lailr

Post by lailr » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:27 pm

And to try to explain why some folks are becoming frustrated...... I have several hi points. They're suitable for a boat gun, or something that you're not to concerned with. And while they're not the absolute garbage some folks say, neither are they good.

But at the same time, you're equating that as quality, and besmirching a brand that is seeing service as duty weapon. NO ONE is using a hi point ANYWHERE as a duty weapon. You are of course, entitled to your own opinion, but I think, you are also getting fed bad advice from an AR snob.

At the end of the day, it has no bearing on the happiness, safety, and security of me and mine. For your sake, I hope you don't need something like an AR, and you're trying to fill that role with a Hi point carbine. Both beat a pointy stick. But one is much better than the other. Good luck

moab

Post by moab » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:46 pm

PSA upper and lower for $349.98. They sell them separately to avoid rifle tax:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16- ... ampaign=cl
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar1 ... ampaign=cl

Here's a $289 upper kit w/furniture and bcg. All you need is a $40 receiver. For a total of $329. And a few simple tools. And you can assemble yourself. Which is so easy you should learn how to do it anyway.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16- ... e-kit.html

These $289 kits come in a variety of styles and colors to choose from. Just make sure it includes the bcg:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15/r ... rder=price

Hope this helps.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

lailr

Post by lailr » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:02 pm

moab wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:46 pm
PSA upper and lower for $349.98. They sell them separately to avoid rifle tax:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16- ... ampaign=cl
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar1 ... ampaign=cl

Here's a $289 upper kit w/furniture and bcg. All you need is a $40 receiver. For a total of $329. And a few simple tools. And you can assemble yourself. Which is so easy you should learn how to do it anyway.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16- ... e-kit.html

These $289 kits come in a variety of styles and colors to choose from. Just make sure it includes the bcg:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15/r ... rder=price

Hope this helps.
And it looks much more daunting than it is......it's really fairly simple

Mechphisto

Post by Mechphisto » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:14 pm

lailr wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:27 pm
And to try to explain why some folks are becoming frustrated...... I have several hi points. They're suitable for a boat gun, or something that you're not to concerned with. And while they're not the absolute garbage some folks say, neither are they good.
[...]
I didn't say they were "good" either, I just used HiPoint as an example of an exception where cheap doesn't ALWAYS mean immediately falls apart and doesn't work. And I didn't say I was getting a HiPoint. Again, note, I have a Glock 43x as my personal defense gun. And I bought that based on as much information I could find based on my goals: slim, easily concealed, fits my hand, at least 10 rounds, high quality.

I'm doing the same thing here. I stated my goal: a carbine I plan on shooting a lot! Needs to use cheap ammo. Defense is a secondary concern.
My "ignoring advice" is based on my maintaining my stated goals and intentions and finding the best advice within that parameter, and you're frustrated that I'm not changing my parameters to fit your advice.

Again, not being snarky, I do appreciate the advice and feedback and believe it or not, I do take it into consideration. Note within this thread I asked question based on new possibilities I hadn't considered before, such as different caliber uppers for an AR lower.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:14 pm

What I'm hearing is "I need a .22 to be my weekend bullet hose." For that purpose, I would consider a 10/22 or some other dedicated .22 AR style rifle. The reason being you really want something you can shoot a lot, shoot fast, and won't quit on you in the middle of a mag.

The Ruger 10/22 has a good reputation and should be closer to $200. Mags will be cheaper too. But all .22s are prone to ammo pickyness, and any .22 you get may or may not run well on the cheap stuff. Just be aware you may need to try different brands. And just because the 10/22 has a good reputation, doesn't mean all are good. A friend has had a terrible time with his 10/22 jamming.

If you need a stock to hang tactical doodads off of, those can be bought for the 10/22, and the total price will be closer to what a dedicated AR style .22 would cost.

For "bullet hose duty" I would look at a 10/22.

When considering what a "poor" Prepper looks like, I worked a gig with a guy and his girlfriend who made a combined income less than $15k a year. He had a single shot shotgun and bought a box or two of shells a year. I think the gun cost less than $100. He was trying hard to make things work and get some ground under his feet. Just a point of reference...

...and some other thoughts to stir the pot.....
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Mechphisto

Post by Mechphisto » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:28 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:14 pm
What I'm hearing is "I need a .22 to be my weekend bullet hose." For that purpose, I would consider a 10/22 or some other dedicated .22 AR style rifle. The reason being you really want something you can shoot a lot, shoot fast, and won't quit on you in the middle of a mag.

The Ruger 10/22 has a good reputation and should be closer to $200. Mags will be cheaper too. But all .22s are prone to ammo pickyness, and any .22 you get may or may not run well on the cheap stuff. [...]
Cool, thanks for the advice!
Oooh, I see:
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore ... /ID/107577
I'll start looking at reviews and videos about this... in fact, I think my Marine friend had recommended the Ruger 10/22 originally, but I only found "standard" rifle versions at that time and I'm wanting a "tactical" carbine to play with accessories :)

moab

Post by moab » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:46 pm

How about an SKS for $229? They make tactical stocks for them that are cheap.

https://gun.deals/product/canada-chines ... tock-22999
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:15 pm

Just one example of a stock you can hang cool stuff off of.

https://dpharms.com/mobile/product_info ... elled=true

I would look for rifles with stocks by Tapco or Choate already installed. That will save a little money. I was googling "10/22 with Tapco stock" and other similar terms.

It looks like the Tapcos have more options for rails. I like the look of the Choate better. But I'm not the one buying.

Just some thoughts.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:33 pm

moab wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:46 pm

When I clicked on the "Buy" button, it took me to a Canadian Cabelas site....and on the Cabelas site there was a notice that read, "Export-Restricted – Cannot ship outside of Canada." :ooh:

moab

Post by moab » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:38 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:33 pm
moab wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:46 pm

When I clicked on the "Buy" button, it took me to a Canadian Cabelas site....and on the Cabelas site there was a notice that read, "Export-Restricted – Cannot ship outside of Canada." :ooh:
Well there $299 at Classic Firearms.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:22 pm

Mechphisto wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:28 pm
woodsghost wrote:

The Ruger 10/22 has a good reputation and should be closer to $200. Mags will be cheaper too. But all .22s are prone to ammo pickyness, and any .22 you get may or may not run well on the cheap stuff. [...]
Oooh, I see:
I'll start looking at reviews and videos about this... in fact, I think my Marine friend had recommended the Ruger 10/22 originally, but I only found "standard" rifle versions at that time and I'm wanting a "tactical" carbine to play with accessories :)
All you have to do is Google the number of mods available for it and you'll believe its the most popular 22 out there even if s not the least expensive.

BTW you either buy a standard version or a take down version 10/22 and then mod it to your hearts content, or as budget allows. [You can even do an XM8 mod. ]

And lastly, for a budget minded person, you seem to be fixed on one of the most expensive semi auto22 platforms there is when your looking at a dedicated AR22.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:05 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:22 pm
Mechphisto wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:28 pm
woodsghost wrote:

Oooh, I see:
All you have to do is Google the number of mods available for it and you'll believe its the most popular 22 out there even if s not the least expensive.

BTW you either buy a standard version or a take down version 10/22 and then mod it to your hearts content, or as budget allows. [You can even do an XM8 mod. ]

And lastly, for a budget minded person, you seem to be fixed on one of the most expensive semi auto22 platforms there is when your looking at a dedicated AR22.
It sounds like there was a real lack of knowledge of current market options. Under those circumstances, all sorts of things seem rational.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:36 am

Holy shit! This whole fucking thread makes my eye twitch.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”