$500 Homebuilt AK Wins First Place At Red Oktober Rifle Match.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

$500 Homebuilt AK Wins First Place At Red Oktober Rifle Match.

Post by moab » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:02 pm

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... QX0BEt3aHg

He states in an email with the author that he had some of the stuff for the build just laying around. But that anyone could have built it for less than a grand. Still it's a cheaper holosun red dot and magpul furniture. A $400 kit and a $50 receiver. Which must mean Morrisey? Nothing fancy. Wish I could see the videos. My page isn't loading them. He pretty much slapped it together in one day. Welding the trunnions instead of riveting them. (Not sure what if any effect that had. He may have just done that for time sake. IDK.) He used aluminum foil to properly fit the hand guard. lol. "It's not the gun it's the shooter" certainly applies here.

IIRC he does not mention what barrel he was using.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: $500 Homebuilt AK Wins First Place At Red Oktober Rifle Match.

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:04 pm

That's a pretty damn good job for a last minute, tossed together from random parts from the leftovers drawer build.

Century should hire this guy and put him to work building the RAS47s. Maybe then they'd actually be worth a damn. :lol:

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:47 pm

I sold my -74. I got the chance to shoot it again. I need another -74. I sold it because I couldn't hunt deer legally here with it. I'm kinda questioning that and thinking I should have bought another rifle or a shotgun to get the deers with. I don't know. But the -74 is a really good gun.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:38 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:47 pm
I sold my -74. I got the chance to shoot it again. I need another -74. I sold it because I couldn't hunt deer legally here with it. I'm kinda questioning that and thinking I should have bought another rifle or a shotgun to get the deers with. I don't know. But the -74 is a really good gun.
It's definitely a win for the regular joe. And just goes to show you. All the money in the world can't make you a good shooter. And it doesn't take a fortune to protect yourself effectively. Of course a $500 rifle can't make you a good shooter either. This guy obviously trained his ass off. And it was in the class with metal plates they had to carry in their rigs. SO he was at a further disadvantage when compared to the overall highest scores. There were different classes. Then they lumped all the winners in each class together. And this guy came in first. In a class where you had to carry metal plates. Or so it read to me.

I'm sure there online. But not sure how similar the courses are. But I'd love to see the scores from AK meets compared with scores from AR meets? MAybe the courses are too different to compare. Or do they have classes for AR's as well as classes for AK's at normal meets?

I'd also love to see a list of which rifles were entered into Redoctober. And where they ranked at the end of it. Someone that does this a lot has some interesting insights I'm sure.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”