WK-180C (Canadian AR-180B redo)

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mugwug
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

WK-180C (Canadian AR-180B redo)

Post by Mugwug » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:56 am

Haven't been on here for ages, but wanted to share some info about the newest rifle in my little collection, the WK-180C semi-auto rifle.

As has been mentioned to death before, up here in Canada the AR15 platform is "restricted" (can only be fired at a government approved range) which is fine for target/competition use, but although I rarely have the opportunity to drag a rifle into the bush I would prefer to have the option if/when needed. There are unrestricted .223/5.56 options here (the Tavor, Norinco T97, VZ58 etc) and unrestricted PCC options, but nothing with the same ergonomics as the AR (and in the end I found my T97 to be a disappointment overall).

The WK-180C, recently manufactured by Kodiak Defence for Wolverine Supplies, is based on the AR180B with some specific differences (milled upper, reciprocating ambi charging handle, fixed sights replaced by a full length rail and AR butt stock). It comes with an 18" barrel, 1:8 twist and chambered in .223 wylde to accommodate both .223 and 5.56mm.

https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/Produ ... ortValue=0

Wolverine accepted pre-orders for this rifle in February of this year, and delivery just began (I received mine this week and was one of the first few hundred shipped out of 3,000 some odd ordered). At a price point of $1,000 CDN its not a cheap rifle (The S&W M&P15 can be had for about $650 up here right now) but that's the Canadian market for you (I paid about the same for both my T97 and my JRC 9mmP).

Receiving the rifle I was impressed with its feel and weight (about 7.5lbs out of the box), and breaking it down for routine cleaning was as simple as it gets. Still, I was a bit apprehensive about how it would perform on the range, and after bore sighting the generic scope I threw on it I anxiously awaited the chance to put it through some paces on the range.

Nothing fancy done to the rifle, just threw on a cheap 3-9x scope and BUIS.

I had limited time at the range, and so only put about 50 rounds downrange getting the scope settled at 50 yards.

I like the fact that this feels like an AR to me (with the exception of the absent bolt release), balanced well and comfortable to shoulder. A cautionary note here that most of my range trips recently have been more "therapeutic" than "practical", and have largely been with my pistols so I was once again quickly reminded that marksmanship is a perishable skill.

At a mere 50 yards, with generic surplus ammo the rifle grouped well (the flyer being my fault), and I left pleased that I had not bought a lemon.

I'll be out again today to do a bit more shooting with her, but can say I am pleased with this rifle so far. I am a bit smitten.
Semper ubi sub ubi

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Re: WK-180C (Canadian AR-180B redo)

Post by FlashDaddy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:58 am

Good info on an interesting rifle and the Canadian rules for fun.

And welcome back!
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Re: WK-180C (Canadian AR-180B redo)

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:54 am

Thank you! The AR-180 has always been a favorite of mine. I missed out on the first iteration of the 180B, hope I can swing a second bite at the apple.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”