Bootleg Adjustable bolt carrier review

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Bender711

Bootleg Adjustable bolt carrier review

Post by Bender711 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:16 pm

Just got my first rifle suppressor for my AR! only about 7months of waiting for the tax stamp. After firing the first round in my backyard I very quickly noticed a lot of gas shooting right up under my glasses into my eye. I had a feeling that this would be a problem since everyone says its a problem.

Ran down to the store I got my Omega from and they suggested one of the Bootleg adjustable bolt carriers they just so happened to have.

$185 later and im heading to the range.

The night before my range trip I sealed up the charging handle with some red (very high speed) RTV and tossed in the heaviest buffer and stiffest spring I had in my box of parts. Buffer Is either an H1 or H2 I didn't bother weighing it more precisely than noting that it was heavier than the one that came in the gun.

Quick run down of the set up.
Silencer Co Omega 300 suppressor, Anchor brake and ASR flashhider.
Rifle is a dissipator upper with mid length gas. Made by sabre
Cav arms one piece polymer lower.
Tubbs flatwire spring
heavyish buffer
Adjustable BCG

I brought two types of ammo with me for testing.
Perfecta 223 55Gr
75gr hand loads with 26.2gr of 2000MR (hot 223 mild 556 pressure levels)

The BCG has 4 settings on it Ive defined them as 1=unsuppressed 4=suppressed with 2 in between settings

Pefecta
Unsuppressed
Setting 1 Locks back
Settings 2-4 Does not cycle
Suppressed:
locked back on setting 4

75gr Reloads

Unsuppressed:
Setting 1 locks back
Setting 2 barely cycles
Settings 3-4 does not cycle

Suppressed:
Locks back on setting 4

I noticed that ejection with the 75gr rounds suppressed was 2:30 - 3:00 suppressed and unsuppressed on the appropriate setting.
55gr loads were at 3:30-4 o clock suppressed and unsuppressed on the appropriate setting.

Gas to the face was eliminated and the settings behaved as expected. Cleaned the gun after maybe 100 rounds, didn't seem to be that much dirtier than normal.

Seems like a good way to go if you don't want to go to the trouble of installing an adjustable gas block, or want to swap between rifles.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Re: Bootleg Adjustable bolt carrier review

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:59 pm

Thanks... I typically use an adjustable gas block, but really appreciate this write up. Always good to have and consider options.

I do have an adjustable gas key on one bolt carrier...it’s just a set screw with no fixed settings though. Will look into this one as an option.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”