The best minimalist PAW rifle?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

The best minimalist PAW rifle?

Post by moab » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:50 pm

It shoots like 8 different calibers. Is not very accurate. But it shoots like 8 different calibers. (But it is over $500.) But still. If this isn't the best survival rifle for a long term paw then what is? I mean I'd rather have a battle rifle or carbine for bad humans. But let's just say they aren't as bad in this equation. Like humans are rarely bad or you rarely see them. But getting game and just having a firearm that shoots any ammo is the only thing to have? I mean wouldn't biggest factor in the long haul be - do you have a gun that will shoot whatever measly ammo is left around? This one would do it. It would go bang. At least out to 25 yards. But I'd be really interested if anyone ever nailed this category. And how expensive is it?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/0 ... x-caliber/

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Stercutus

Re: The best minimalist PAW rifle?

Post by Stercutus » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:37 pm

Whelp a 25 yard single shot rifle is probably not the ideal choice. This is just another redux of shotgun barrel adapters. Since the accuracy runs out at 25 yards you may as well get a Thompson Center. Costs more, but worlds away a better system in every regard.

However IMO an AR pistol with .22/5.56/.30BO/6.8G uppers is the way to go. Cheaper than the contender and plenty versatile. 10X the range of the Chiappa, better ergos, 30X capacity, etc, etc ,etc
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:44 pm

That hole on the underside of the front sight/barrel band is so you can tie a length of string to it....so you can retrieve said front sight after it desides to go AWOL. :rofl:

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:03 pm

Just buy the adaptors for$210.00 +- and a Stevens single shot break open 12 12ga for $175.00+-.

3cyl

Post by 3cyl » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:23 pm

RickOShea wrote:That hole on the underside of the front sight/barrel band is so you can tie a length of string to it....so you can retrieve said front sight after it desides to go AWOL. :rofl:

At the 10 minute mark the site is on and just fine.

The next shot the site has been moved moved till it is barely on, I'm surprised it didn't fly off when he fired the .22.

Then again maybe it did, and it took more than one take

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:59 pm

I have a personal issue with anything deemed "best," but great idea though. They probably sold quite a few to unknowing people looking to have it all but then we all know people that buy firearms and never fire them. This reminded me of a few articles I remember reading and I was able to find one of them. "Only get to pick one" is a favorite debate everywhere.

Can One Gun Do It All?
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

moab

Post by moab » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:08 pm

I guess I'll just stick to burying 5 rifles instead of one. ;)

Seriously tho. I was mainly just wondering if something like this exists that isn't a POS. In the interim I wish they would come out with more of those .22 conversion kits for AK's. I like the ones for AR's. But an AK one would be the cat's meow. But I guess for the time being a .22 conversion for an AR and a few uppers would be the best deal.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

VTPATRIOT

Post by VTPATRIOT » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:40 pm

if the SHTF and teaweki was happening, and somehow I lost my gear
I'd make something from a cold water pipe
having the knowledge to improvise is what its all about, not sure most here could do that
“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”
― Edward Abbey

moab

Post by moab » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:28 pm

VTPATRIOT wrote:not sure most here could do that
That's kind of a jerky comment. IMHO.

I build AK's for a living. I can build a pipe gun.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:54 pm

I already have the "Ultimate" pipe gun. Image

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:58 pm

moab wrote:
VTPATRIOT wrote:not sure most here could do that
That's kind of a jerky comment. IMHO.

I build AK's for a living. I can build a pipe gun.
Why make a pipe gun, as long as I've got gas and a genny, I'm using my metal lathe and rifle buttons to make real barrels.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:46 pm

VTPATRIOT wrote:if the SHTF and teaweki was happening, and somehow I lost my gear
having the knowledge to improvise is what its all about, not sure most here could do that
YAWN... tell us more, So you're a Plumber ?
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:33 pm

For me a single-shot break action in .223 would be pretty effective here in North America. Easy to stack ammo deep and someone, somewhere will figure out how to make it if necessary.

Longer term though I’d think ammo would be the LIMFAC more than any weapon regardless of caliber...something that could be adapted to black powder and some sort of rudimentary primer would be easiest to feed. Shotgun or even a black powder rifle perhaps.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:49 pm

91Eunozs wrote:Longer term though I’d think ammo would be the LIMFAC more than any weapon regardless of caliber...something that could be adapted to black powder and some sort of rudimentary primer would be easiest to feed. Shotgun or even a black powder rifle perhaps.
Like a Mossberg 500 with the .50 cal muzzleloader barrel? :awesome:

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:14 pm

VTPATRIOT wrote:if the SHTF and teaweki was happening, and somehow I lost my gear
I'm ready. I have watched the appropriate training videos.

I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:53 pm

Nobody ever even mentions water pipes where I work.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:02 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:Nobody ever even mentions water pipes where I work.
It's probably a need to know basis

John Titor was right

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:08 pm

Dabster wrote:

I think that is only effective for Gorn at Vasquez Rocks. For other uses you might have to changes things up with a HOT water pipe

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:36 pm

flybynight wrote:
Dabster wrote:

I think that is only effective for Gorn at Vasquez Rocks. For other uses you might have to changes things up with a HOT water pipe
Hopefully more than Gorn. Given the huge numbers of cowboy outlaws, monsters, aliens and evil mercenaries that congregate there a weapon only useful against Gorn would be of little use.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

minengr

Post by minengr » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:13 pm

If 25 yards is max for accuracy, I'll stick with one of my compound bows.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:27 pm

Stercutus wrote:
flybynight wrote:
Dabster wrote:

Hopefully more than Gorn. Given the huge numbers of cowboy outlaws, monsters, aliens and evil mercenaries that congregate there a weapon only useful against Gorn would be of little use.
No that might be where the improvisation comes in. It's a cold water pipe. Cold showers for everyone ( else ) They will be clean and cool. :clap: Remember , the (cold water ) pipe is mightier than the Gorn

John Titor was right

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:25 pm

Dabster wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I almost posted that myself but was too lazy to search last night! Well played...
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:07 pm

A rifle that's only accurate to 25 yards? Why?

Is the issue a lack of resources such that I can only afford $200 and lost everything else? Even in NYC its certainly possible to "find" substantial amounts of guns and ammo. Probably not legally, however.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc ... -1.3936819

If he could do it, ...
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:23 pm

I think the multi caliber thing is a red haring, if there is more 5.56 and 9mm then all the other calibers combined, why am I going to lug around a bunch of adaptors that are individually going to be useless 90% of the time and of poor utility the other 10%?

How much does the gun and adaptors weigh together? A 5lb turnkey AR doesn't require custom parts or a big budget anymore, my Glock PDW is 3lbs and novice shooters can ring steel at 50 yards on their first try.

Even in a PAW/Post-industrial society I have a hard time believing a quality AR and a modest stash of spare parts wouldn't be putting food on the table for your grandchildren, and everything that makes it a winner against two-legs is holds just as true with four.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”