How can you buy milsurp in today's market?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: How can you buy milsurp in today's market?

Post by RickOShea » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:29 pm

Langenator wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:29 pm
I bought (another) can of RoK surplus .30 carbine instead. Those actually haven't gone up in price too much. I bought a can for I think $380 or $385 back in March, right after the Wuhan flu lockdowns started. This last one was $395 from the same vendor (SGAmmo).
I need to stock-up on some .30 carbine ammo. I have an old Inland M1A1 I inherited from my paternal Grandfather, that I plan on giving to my Nephew one day...

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:09 am

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:29 pm
Langenator wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:29 pm
I bought (another) can of RoK surplus .30 carbine instead. Those actually haven't gone up in price too much. I bought a can for I think $380 or $385 back in March, right after the Wuhan flu lockdowns started. This last one was $395 from the same vendor (SGAmmo).
I need to stock-up on some .30 carbine ammo. I have an old Inland M1A1 I inherited from my paternal Grandfather, that I plan on giving to my Nephew one day...

If that's an original para stock, that's worth some $$$.

I have two, both Inlands bought from CMP when they got that bunch back from Italy, so the have the FAT stamp on the stocks. And I bought an Italian bayonet to got with.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:46 pm

Langenator wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:09 am
RickOShea wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:29 pm
If that's an original para stock, that's worth some $$$.

I have two, both Inlands bought from CMP when they got that bunch back from Italy, so the have the FAT stamp on the stocks. And I bought an Italian bayonet to got with.
I asked the guys over at the old M1CarbineForum about it years ago, and they concluded that the markings and cartouches indicated that it was a 2nd production run M1A1 that had been refurbed at the Augusta Arsenal post WWII.

My Grandfather bought it back in 1970 to use as a ranch rifle dairy farm rifle, after running into some yahoos trying to steal a couple of his prize bulls.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:38 pm

How comfortable or uncomfortable is the wire stock when shooting that M1, Rick ?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:01 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:38 pm
How comfortable or uncomfortable is the wire stock when shooting that M1, Rick ?
It's fairly decent for a wire stock. I do have a slight issue is with the pistol grip, which could stand to be about a half inch longer. As is, the pinky finger on my large-ish hand ends up fighting with the sling swivel a bit.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:11 am

RickOShea wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:01 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
It's fairly decent for a wire stock. I do have a slight issue is with the pistol grip, which could stand to be about a half inch longer. As is, the pinky finger on my large-ish hand ends up fighting with the sling swivel a bit.
That was going to be my next question. The pistol grip on that M1 carbine does look a bit short.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:13 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:11 am
RickOShea wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
That was going to be my next question. The pistol grip on that M1 carbine does look a bit short.
I wonder if the dimensions might be determined by the need to fit it into some form of packing/rigging for parachute jumps. Kind of like the Army retains the 20 round M16/M4 mag in inventory because a rifle with a 20 rounder will fit in the M1950 parachutist weapon case, but won't with a 30 rounder.

Unfortunately, I don't know near enough about WWII jump rigging to answer the question.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:32 am

I just figured that, on average, people born 100 years ago weren't as big/tall as they are now.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:45 pm

Langenator wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:13 am
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:11 am
RickOShea wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I wonder if the dimensions might be determined by the need to fit it into some form of packing/rigging for parachute jumps. Kind of like the Army retains the 20 round M16/M4 mag in inventory because a rifle with a 20 rounder will fit in the M1950 parachutist weapon case, but won't with a 30 rounder.

Unfortunately, I don't know near enough about WWII jump rigging to answer the question.
Yes, there was a jump scabbard for them that actually attached to your web belt.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”