Lower parts kit question

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dutch253
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend (does this count?), The Walking Dead(?)

Lower parts kit question

Post by Dutch253 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:34 pm

I've started my first AR build and went with the Aero Precision ambi stripped lower. I got a little confused when I started picking parts for the lower though. When I did the math, the parts cost around $300..for a lower that cost half that! I didn't select anything over the top or exotic. This is my first build so the question is, is this normal?
"But Lord, during the hardest trials of my life, why was there only one set of footprints?"
"Because," said the Lord, "Sandpeople always ride single-file, to hide their numbers."

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Re: Lower parts kit question

Post by Beowolf » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:48 pm

LPK (lower parts kit) should be in the $30-50 range most places. Unless you're getting the extra special smoothed, shaved, titanium, unicorn blood trigger stuff. Match level trigger assemblies can go for the $300 you're mentioning, so perhaps that's what you're looking at?

But the standard LPK I got from PSA was right around $30 and worked like a charm.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:49 pm

Dutch253 wrote:I've started my first AR build and went with the Aero Precision ambi stripped lower. I got a little confused when I started picking parts for the lower though. When I did the math, the parts cost around $300..for a lower that cost half that! I didn't select anything over the top or exotic. This is my first build so the question is, is this normal?
Hey Dutch, I would check out PSA. A parts kit itself should only cost 20-40$ for a very basic kit. you can of course get much more expensive sets that have a lighter trigger pull weight. I would link you some however I'm at work and don't like to search gun parts at work.

But PSA has some, Midway USA has some, I believe you can even get some off Amazon. The only kits that should cost that much are VERY high end light trigger pull kits.

Good Luck!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Dutch253
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend (does this count?), The Walking Dead(?)

Post by Dutch253 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:52 pm

So the kits I was looking at included more than just the springs and pins. They had the grip, trigger, take down pins, ambi safety selector and the trigger guard.
"But Lord, during the hardest trials of my life, why was there only one set of footprints?"
"Because," said the Lord, "Sandpeople always ride single-file, to hide their numbers."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:53 pm

Just LPK or buffer, tube, stock and the other parts required to finish a stripped lower? Most people just all the trigger and springs the LPK.

Edit: I figured as much.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

ssdtopgun

Post by ssdtopgun » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:10 pm

Some if the parts you will choose depend on what type of complete AR you are looking to complete. Do you want a carbine length rifle? Or will you want a longer barrel to complete a full rifle length AR?

Below are the basic parts to complete your lower for a carbine. Brownells is having a sale this weekend and has DPMS complete lower parts kits for $39.95 and a complete carbine stock kit for $49.95. Basically for $90 you would have a complete lower half. If you use coupon code M6S you would also get free shipping.

Complete lower parts kit
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/re ... 24955.aspx

Complete Carbine Stock Kit
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/st ... 44659.aspx

If you want a complete upper for your AR, you would also receive a free $25 gift card with the purchase of this upper.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/re ... 86806.aspx

The final part you would need is either an optic or basic "iron" sights. I would suggest these sight if you just want something quick, easy and inexpensive.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/si ... 44044.aspx

Enjoy!

ssdtopgun

Post by ssdtopgun » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:17 pm

One other thought. Keep in mind you will need a small hammer and a punch set to complete the lower. If you don't have one or don't know anyone that you can borrow them from you can use the ones in the following links:

8 oz. Ball Pein Hammer
https://www.harborfreight.com/8-oz-stub ... 95930.html

Punch Set
https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-l ... 93111.html

Are these the best tools money can buy, no. But to get the job done for one lower receiver they are perfectly fine. However, I would suggest investing in the following tool for placing the bolt catch release pin. It will help you keep from marring the side of your receiver while pushing in the bolt release pin. If you don’t use this tool you can cover the receiver with vinyl electrical tape to protect the finish. Don’t be shy with the tape!

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 26484.aspx
Last edited by ssdtopgun on Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssdtopgun

Post by ssdtopgun » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:23 pm

Sorry, thought keep rolling in.

If you haven’t actually already purchased your AR lower here is a link to a complete kit with every part you need to build a complete AR15 all in one box.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/re ... 88054.aspx

Personally I’d use an 80% lower receiver but that requires additional tools that you might not have access to or be willing to purchase.

Enjoy.

Dutch253

Post by Dutch253 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:28 pm

ssdtopgun wrote:One other thought. Keep in mind you will need a small hammer and a punch set to complete the lower. If you don't have one or don't know anyone that you can borrow them from you can use the ones in the following links:

8 oz. Ball Pein Hammer
https://www.harborfreight.com/8-oz-stub ... 95930.html

Punch Set
https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-l ... 93111.html

Are these the best tools money can buy, no. But to get the job done for one lower receiver they are perfectly fine. However, I would suggest investing in the following tool for placing the bolt catch release pin. It will help you keep from marring the side of your receiver while pushing in the bolt release pin. If you don’t use this tool you can cover the receiver with vinyl electrical tape to protect the finish. Don’t be shy with the tape!

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 26484.aspx
I'll take all that into consideration, thanks.

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:59 pm

I pretty much stick to SOLGW LPKs with thier "fighting trigger" wich is basically thier version of an ALG ACT trigger. Thier parts are none mim and on par with BCM and DD, the lpk+trigger are around $80. Sionics Weapons systems also sells complete blemished lowers for $200-250 with a NPQ or Nickle boron coated trigger,QD end plate,magpul grip,good buffer springs. Both Sionics and SOLGW are "combat grade" hard use type stuff and not lifestyle brand crap. I'm a noob here so feel free to ignore me or interrogate me as needed.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:01 pm

JF89 wrote:I pretty much stick to SOLGW LPKs with thier "fighting trigger" wich is basically thier version of an ALG ACT trigger. Thier parts are none mim and on par with BCM and DD, the lpk+trigger are around $80. Sionics Weapons systems also sells complete blemished lowers for $200-250 with a NPQ or Nickle boron coated trigger,QD end plate,magpul grip,good buffer springs. Both Sionics and SOLGW are "combat grade" hard use type stuff and not lifestyle brand crap. I'm a noob here so feel free to ignore me or interrogate me as needed.

If you head over to our introduction section we can start with that interrogation you mentioned. We try to make it fun, but waterboarding can only be so exciting.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

JF89

Post by JF89 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:13 pm

woodsghost wrote:
JF89 wrote:I pretty much stick to SOLGW LPKs with thier "fighting trigger" wich is basically thier version of an ALG ACT trigger. Thier parts are none mim and on par with BCM and DD, the lpk+trigger are around $80. Sionics Weapons systems also sells complete blemished lowers for $200-250 with a NPQ or Nickle boron coated trigger,QD end plate,magpul grip,good buffer springs. Both Sionics and SOLGW are "combat grade" hard use type stuff and not lifestyle brand crap. I'm a noob here so feel free to ignore me or interrogate me as needed.

If you head over to our introduction section we can start with that interrogation you mentioned. We try to make it fun, but waterboarding can only be so exciting.
sounds good i'm drunk so I this should be fun. I didnt see anythingin the rules about language, is this a PG or Rated R type of forum?

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:57 pm

JF89 wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

sounds good i'm drunk so I this should be fun. I didnt see anythingin the rules about language, is this a PG or Rated R type of forum?

I like this guy already!! Drunk posting... classic....

Any news on Dutch and what he ended up buying for his build??
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:00 pm

JF89 wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

I'd say it's more of a PG-13 type that leans towards R rated on occasion.

You can curse, but keep in mind that folks often browse ZS at work or around their kids.

Welcome to ZS, by the way. :)

JF89

Post by JF89 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:29 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
JF89 wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

I'd say it's more of a PG-13 type that leans towards R rated on occasion.

You can curse, but keep in mind that folks often browse ZS at work or around their kids.

Welcome to ZS, by the way. :)
Thanks man, hopefully theres less zombies here then the last couple forums ive signed up at.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:11 pm

We don't get many zombies here, but we do get the occasional troll who comes in, makes a few idiotic posts and then gets banned by whatever moderator on duty that day.

If you want to laugh or feel your IQ drop, I suggest looking up posts by 'Zantra', 'Longy' and 'Hokicake'.

We're all still unsure if those were three different people or just one really determined person with multiple accounts. :lol:

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:15 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:We don't get many zombies here, but we do get the occasional troll who comes in, makes a few idiotic posts and then gets banned by whatever moderator on duty that day.

If you want to laugh or feel your IQ drop, I suggest looking up posts by 'Zantra', 'Longy' and 'Hokicake'.

We're all still unsure if those were three different people or just one really determined person with multiple accounts. :lol:
And a turtle.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:59 pm

woodsghost wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:We don't get many zombies here, but we do get the occasional troll who comes in, makes a few idiotic posts and then gets banned by whatever moderator on duty that day.

And a turtle.
I knew I forgot something. Thanks, Woodsghost.

Back on topic, I've been seeing the DPMS and XTS branded lower parts kits the local Academy store and I'm considering picking one up for my eventual AR build.

I know DPMS' quality is decent enough for a plinker, but I've never heard of XTS. Anyone use the XTS lower parts kits ? If so, what's the quality like ?

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:46 pm

Well, first you’re gonna need a Ciener .22 conversion...

:lol:

I’d just grab a PSA lower parts kit with some flavor of the ALG trigger when they go on sale. Many versions... You can get just the LPK and piecemeal the rest when they’re on sale too. Sign up for the deal blast email...can get annoying with multiple emails every day, but lots of good deals pop up.

Currently out of stock, but here it is with a Magpul MOE stock and grip: http://palmettostatearmory.com/palmetto ... igger.html

I’d get the 7075 series aluminum mil-spec buffer tube vs. the 6061 “mil-spec size” tube for a few bucks more, though either will do just fine. I have builds with both and no issues.

Have you built the upper yet?

PSA also has the magpul MBUS set on sale for under $100.

Re: parts, I spend money where it matters: bolt/bolt carrier, trigger and barrel. Unless it’s a specialty build with lightweight parts I almost always use Bravo Company/BCM or Daniel Defense (DD).

Almost every rifle I’ve built has a BCM bolt (most with a BCM carrier too) regardless of cost...simply the best in my experience.

Every one of my personal rifles has a Geissele trigger, again the best trigger for my needs...ALG gets you 90% (or more) of that trigger for 1/4 the price. Built on the same EDM wire cutting machines as the Geissele triggers, just not guaranteed to be match grade. I have ALG triggers in most of the builds I’ve done for friends and family.

Barrels are a preference thing...a lot depends on what you need it for. Hard to go wrong with any flavor of BCM or DD barrel.
Last edited by 91Eunozs on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

JF89

Post by JF89 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:04 am

Heres a complete buffer kit from Aero Precision: https://www.wingtactical.com/firearm-pa ... -tube-kit/ its 7075 and mil spec for $38

delarey

Post by delarey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:34 pm

Can't go wrong with aero stuff. Their lpk has just abo7 t everything in it except the buffer tube, s rping and stock.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:46 pm

Just realized we’ve all been responding to an 8 month old thread! :lol:
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

JF89

Post by JF89 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:59 pm

91Eunozs wrote:Just realized we’ve all been responding to an 8 month old thread! :lol:
I love necro posting...I have some dirty disgusting inappropriae jokes that go with that but I will watch my mouth.

delarey

Post by delarey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Hahaha you ain't right for that! I accidentally necro a lot of threads

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”