Remington 700... is it a good buy in 2017??

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Remington 700... is it a good buy in 2017??

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:46 pm

Note: I posted this on other forums, but I wanted to see what ZS thinks...

I'm considering getting a new "beater" hunting rifle in .30-06 to thrash around in the woods and not worry about scratching on the hunt or at the range.

I currently use a pretty Remington 700 (ADL I think) with the fancy walnut stock and blued steel. It is a great shooter and gets less than 1 MOA with 150 grain ammo. It's been faithful to me and was given to me by my grandfather. The action is like butter. Anyways, I recently gave it a few scratches that I was not happy about. With it being pretty sentimental, I'm looking to replace it with a cheap bargain gun and put it in the safe for special occasions.

So my question is: in 2017, with the Freedom Group ruining Marlin and so many other brands, the safety/trigger recalls and lawsuits of the 700, the garbage 783 and 770 series, and the whole R51 and RP9 debacle... is the Remington 700 still a good buy??

I'm comparing a $400-500 Remington 700 to a $300 Ruger American, Savage Axis II, and the Mossberg Patriot. I swore I wouldn't buy a Remington after all their recent issues, but the 700 is almost bargain priced online and I have the option of modifying it in the future with a huge aftermarket. But then again, those new plastic rifles shoot great and there's plenty of money left over for ammo.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Re: Remington 700... is it a good buy in 2017??

Post by The Twizzler » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:43 pm

I would say no for 2 reasons.
1. The competition has caught up with Savage Axis trigger, the Tikka's, TC, Ruger Hawkye
2. This is a company that as far as gun manufacturing goes is on a downward spiral.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:05 pm

The Twizzler wrote:I would say no for 2 reasons.
1. The competition has caught up with Savage Axis trigger, the Tikka's, TC, Ruger Hawkye
2. This is a company that as far as gun manufacturing goes is on a downward spiral.
Savage?
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

minengr

Post by minengr » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:48 am

If you can still find thing the stainless ADL's that were sold at Dick's Sporting Goods were a great buy IMO. I swapped out the factory stock with a used "Ti take-off" (a B&C you can still get from Stocky's stocks). Topped it with a used 6x Lupy and have a nice rig. Those ADL"s were running around $450 when I got mine.

I've also heard good things about the Ruger Americans. I think they take a bit of tweaking but a decent gun for the money.

I understand not wanting to ding up your grandfathers rifle, but you might want to consider just buying a different stock. My father only had one center fire rifle. After I refinished the factory walnut stock I hated the idea of messing it up. I purchased a used synthetic I don't mind beating up. Sadly the throat is toasted so it won't shoot quite as well as I'd like. I've been debating for years about rebarreling or having the original barrel set back and rechambering. I hate to mess with it's "originality" but I hate having it collect dust too.

If you've got a good shooter putting it in a Mcmillan (what a new rifle would cost) would be an option I'd consider. Bed the action, maybe do a trigger job, and the final result would be better than anything you could purchase new IMO.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:19 am

A good friend recently bought the bargain Rem 700 model in 270. He had a hell of a time getting it to shoot. He was making 2-2.5 inch groups at 100 yds. He had a good scope, quality mounts, used a variety of factory ammo and still couldn't make it shoot well. He swapped the stock for a Boyd's and instantly began shooting under 2". We took the rifle apart, cleaned and lube everything, replace the trigger with a Timney, applied purple Loc-tite and torqued everything down by the book and still couldn't break 1.5" with shelf ammo. handloads weren't much better. He decided to stick it out and have the local Smith set the barrel back and rechamber and recrown the rifle. Federal 130's now shoot .5" in that rifle. This is just my recent experience. That Rem might have been a lemon. I know that every rifle is different. But it's hard to not blame Remington. I've seen old M700s shoot with gnat's ass accuracy. I've seen many new Savages (Axis and Reg. Savage), Ruger American, and other budget barrel nut types shoot moa right out of the box. My old Savage (recently posted about) shot better than his rifle and half the investment. Even after I swapped stock and everything. I have a few of those Budget Marlin bolt action rifles from a few years ago. They shoot very, very well. Both 308s and both shoot rem 150 gr Corelokts in an inch. They shoot any 150 gr bullet fairly well. Just my most recent experience and meager opinion.

Currently, my budget love is the Savage Axis. I've got no issues with the Ruger Americans, either. If I had a smidge extra on the cash I might get a Savage Hog Hunter in 308 and go all Tacti-Tard Hunter style on it. If I were looking for a an heirloom, legacy type rifle, then I'd go balls out on a Winchester or full custom. OH! I haven't seen any of the Winchester XPRs, but I've heard good things about them.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:45 pm

It should have read
The competition has caught up, with rifles like Savage(with thier Axis Trigger ), Tikka's, ........

flybynight wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:I would say no for 2 reasons.
Savage?
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

minengr

Post by minengr » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:38 am

brothaman wrote: If I were looking for a an heirloom, legacy type rifle, then I'd go balls out on a Winchester or full custom. OH! I haven't seen any of the Winchester XPRs, but I've heard good things about them.
I love Winchester Mod 70's. I own several from nearly untouched to full custom. However I hate the MOA triggers on the new ones. I had one in 243 and it never felt right. Probably because I was so used to the old trigger. Why they decided to change that remains a mystery. The action was butter smooth, but I never got a feel for the trigger. I believe Timeny makes a replacement now, and that would be the route I take if I purchase another. The newest ones are now made in Portugal, I believe. Haven't kept up with things, not sure why they moved out of South Carolina.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:36 pm

Just an FYI in case someone else comes across this with a similar question... It seems the general consensus all across my other forums is:

-Remington's current quality is not like it used to be, but it isn't as bad as it was a few years ago.
-Don't give money to Remington because it's run by an investment firm.
-You may get a good Rem 700, but you can also end up with a bad one too.
-For the money there are better options so don't be nostalgic.

It seems that everyone is loving the Savage, Ruger, Mossberg, and Winchester budget lines. I also have been reading about the "cheap" tube receivers and barrel nuts and it seems that those features make the guns inexpensive but also super accurate.

The search continues...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:32 pm

minengr wrote:
brothaman wrote: If I were looking for a an heirloom, legacy type rifle, then I'd go balls out on a Winchester or full custom. OH! I haven't seen any of the Winchester XPRs, but I've heard good things about them.
I love Winchester Mod 70's. I own several from nearly untouched to full custom. However I hate the MOA triggers on the new ones. I had one in 243 and it never felt right. Probably because I was so used to the old trigger. Why they decided to change that remains a mystery. The action was butter smooth, but I never got a feel for the trigger. I believe Timeny makes a replacement now, and that would be the route I take if I purchase another. The newest ones are now made in Portugal, I believe. Haven't kept up with things, not sure why they moved out of South Carolina.
The lack of the Dingle Dingle is what peaks my interest in the XPR. It took me awhile to learn to like the Accutrigger types, there's no doubt I shoot them well, but, for my "Last Hunting rifle" project I opted for something more familiar. I get your feels on the trigger thing.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 15, 2017 9:46 am

Try this: Check with all your LGS's and see if you can find a R700 in .308 used on the shelf. I am curious to see what you come up with. If you get the same results I did it might tell you something.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Prepper245

Post by Prepper245 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:10 pm

I am using a .308 version and it's one of my favs. Replacing the stock trigger makes it a really solid rifle.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”