nobody needs a shotgun.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

woodsghost

Re: nobody needs a shotgun.

Post by woodsghost » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Thanks flyby :lol:

I just see the rifle being the answer for almost everyone and everything. I see see the shotgun being for lower budgets and legally restricted areas. I want to understand what else it does and what else mentioned t offers.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

2now

Post by 2now » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:02 pm

The big values of the shotgun are price and versatility.
Several times I have helped a friend who recently moved to the country get their first and only gun. They saw they had a need for a gun, but only wanted 1 in the house. That gun was a tool that needed to be able to handle whatever thing came up. Imagine the problems you could have needing a gun and having to deal with multiple outbuildings, livestock, and vehicles.

Things like:

A weasel in the hen house;
Skunk in the trash;
Any kind of diseased mammal that might show up around the house;
Feral dogs;
Garden destroying animals;
Something in the barn that needed to be checked out, maybe a stray cat, a tweaker looking for something to pawn, or maybe a hungry bear depending on where you were living;
Criminal actions, at least until help could get there, both inside and outside of the house;
A raccoon in a tree over the chicken coop. If you are going to shoot an AR at a 45 degree angle you need to really be living out in the boonies.

The answer we came up with together was always a pump shotgun.
From slugs and buckshot all the way down to birdshot, you could pick a load that would give you an easier time dealing with any problem.

For example, I once had a skunk hiding under my large propane tank. I took a shotgun with #6 shot to go wait for him. I did not want a rifle being shot anywhere near that tank.
I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer.

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:52 pm

If I could only have 1 gun, itd be a shotgun. Jack of all trades (serbu for CCW/open carry). I got more than I need, but thats why I have 2 AOWs on order.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:51 pm

The shotgun does seem to excel at headshots on a moving target.

I've read too many horror stories of self-defense shootings where the threat, even though fatally wounded, is still up and attacking for too long.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

delarey

Post by delarey » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:36 am

I've taken a tactical shotgun class or two.
A few things if note...
As mentioned, it is a very versatile firearm. You can take small game up to large game and I have heard of one asshole poacher taking eland with a 12ga slug.
With flitecontrol buckshot, you have buckshot that's effective out to 50 or more yards.
With a proper slug, or sabot round, you can hit out to 150 yards. We did.
All shotguns are snow flakes. As in, each one is unique. Take your shotgun out and pattern it at all ranges you anticipate you'll need it at...With the ammo you plan to stock for it! My Mossberg had a 2' pattern at 15 yards with the green mil spec buckshot.i loaded a few rounds of federal flitecontrol​ 8 pellet and the pattern shrunk to fist size! I have a red Dot on my Mossberg with the option of a magnifier. I feel comfortable stepping out to 150 yards with Hornady saboted slugs.
From personal experience, a wood stocked, non pistol gripped shotgun will be one of the very last firearms to be hit with a ban. 12ga ammo is everywhere and pump shotguns are easy to work on. My g19 and my Mossberg are the two firearms that will stay with me to the grave.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:02 am

See who the OP was that opined such a close minded view of the utility of a shotgun.

'Nuff Said.

For other such memorable posts and threads from this user, please see the Thread Graveyard. They are comedic in a bone chilling sort of way.

Edited for grammar/spelling.
Last edited by Hiroshima_Morphine on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

delarey

Post by delarey » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:06 am

Wuahahahhaa say no more! Zantra was fun.

Drop Dead Zed

Post by Drop Dead Zed » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:06 pm

Several people have mentioned that the right load in a shotgun has low penetration, the converse is also true. A 1 oz. lead slug are way more barrier blind than 55 or 62 grain .223. Additionally there are definitely some animals in NA that I would rather face with a shotgun with slugs than an AR. Add in the ability to quickly switch ammo types and the shotgun has capability that rifles and pistols do not.

Shotguns have a place in my gun cabinet.
There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the Moon Landing and those that don't.

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:56 pm

I understand why the guy that started this thread was banned.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:49 am

According to Nassau County PD and the troopers, the above is legal as a full length 590 shotgun. It mostly cannot be modded, so I will wait till this is available in a MarineCoat version.

Good thing I trained with the Highway Patrol version of this (ours uses pistol sights and plastic stocks).

This is probably the only reason to buy Aguila minishells.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

delarey

Post by delarey » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:49 pm

I'm really thinking about getting one soon. Looks like a load of fun!

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”