Help me find an AR barrel please

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

bigred362
Favorite Zombie Movies: World War Z

Help me find an AR barrel please

Post by bigred362 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:22 am

I have been looking for a specific barrel for a project gun and I'm not having any luck so I'm reaching out for suggestions or maybe even a link to a vendor that has this barrel.

1. 16-18" length
2. .223/5.56 chamber
3. Medium contour
4. NO 203 cut
Here is the tough one, non-negotiable
5. 1/9 twist

I am actually shocked I haven't been able to find one easily, any help is appreciated.
"A smart ass is always better than a dumb ass"

"Nobody is totally useless you can always be a good bad example"

brothaman

Re: Help me find an AR barrel please

Post by brothaman » Mon May 23, 2016 9:29 am

I'm not sure was a medium contour is on an AR barrel.

Look at midway. I saw several different contours on 1/9 twist 16" barrels.
If none of those blow yer skirt up, then try Black Hole Weaponry. They'll make whatever you want for a little less that $300 unless you want crazy customer stuff.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

bigred362

Post by bigred362 » Mon May 23, 2016 1:42 pm

That's the hook up I was looking for thanks so much I'm gonna get on the phone with them before the end of the day.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Mon May 23, 2016 9:29 pm

I'll second the recommendation for Black Hole Weaponry. I had an 18" rifle length gas barrel from them on an SPR build. It was the most accurate AR I've ever shot. Sub-MOA at 100 yards using ZQ-1 bulk ammo.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue May 24, 2016 8:36 am

I'll third for BHW... I have one of their 16" 300BLK barrels in my green pig gun. The most accurate AR in my collection by far...on par with my .308 bolt guns, frankly better than them inside of a couple hundred yards, but that could just be my comfort w/the AR platform.

I did have an issue with the gas port not drilled all the way through at the full diameter. Can't recall off the top of my head what the original diameter was (.090" maybe?), but the next size smaller pin gauge would drop all the way through. Still shot exceptionally well, but wouldn't cycle subs reliably until I had it drilled out to .125".

Now I need an adjustable gas block when shooting suppressed! :lol:

Part of the issue too was that they used a carbine length gas system on 16" 300BLK barrels...need to see if they finally switched to pistol gas.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

bigred362

Post by bigred362 » Tue May 24, 2016 8:51 am

91Eunozs wrote:I'll third for BHW... I have one of their 16" 300BLK barrels in my green pig gun. The most accurate AR in my collection by far...on par with my .308 bolt guns, frankly better than them inside of a couple hundred yards, but that could just be my comfort w/the AR platform.

I did have an issue with the gas port not drilled all the way through at the full diameter. Can't recall off the top of my head what the original diameter was (.090" maybe?), but the next size smaller pin gauge would drop all the way through. Still shot exceptionally well, but wouldn't cycle subs reliably until I had it drilled out to .125".

Now I need an adjustable gas block when shooting suppressed! :lol:

Part of the issue too was that they used a carbine length gas system on 16" 300BLK barrels...need to see if they finally switched to pistol gas.
I used a MAS defense on my blk out. Pistol gas and a plain old block. Functions perfectly from day one it's a 1.25 gun with supers, haven't tried subs yet but I love the gun.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue May 24, 2016 1:02 pm

BHW - Wow just found the barrel I've been looking for:

R15 5.56 (.223 Wylde) caliber barrel 10.5 1/7 with M4 extension 416R stainless steel Caudle 3 land polygonal rifling Titanium Cerakote.
$310

Do you know if their bores are chromed or treated in any way? Couldn't find that on the website.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

bigred362

Post by bigred362 » Tue May 24, 2016 2:15 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:BHW - Wow just found the barrel I've been looking for:

R15 5.56 (.223 Wylde) caliber barrel 10.5 1/7 with M4 extension 416R stainless steel Caudle 3 land polygonal rifling Titanium Cerakote.
$310

Do you know if their bores are chromed or treated in any way? Couldn't find that on the website.
I think most if not all of their barrels are stainless so no need to line the bore. If your building an SBR you should seriously look at a Blackout. The caliber delivers far better performance than a 223 from a short barrel. It helps if you reload cost wise anyway. My Blackout is a 16" gun and with 150gr loads delivers similar performance to a 30-30 win.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed May 25, 2016 12:27 pm

I built a 6.5 G on a BHW 16" BHW barrel. Stupid accurate with Hornady shelf ammo. I'm going to part out one of my ARs to fund a 6.5 G SPR build so I can give my daughter the light weight rifle. I might get stupid and build a 24" 6.5 G rig. I won't gush to much about my BHW build,.. but its the shit. My friends are really sick of hearing about it.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:BHW - Wow just found the barrel I've been looking for:

$310

That stainless probably won't be, most aren't.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:47 pm

BHW website [Columbia River Arms] you basically pick out every detail including ribbing or hexagonal cuts, and cerekoting. Very cool.

Anyhow:
~$280 delivered.

Black Hole Weaponry 10.5 1:7 SS CP Caudle Polygonal

barrel extension and barrel are etched with the specs. Said 8-10 weeks, got it in 6. Haven't checked the headspace or installed yet, but its very nice looking. My first Caudle Polygonal.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”