I shall call him...James. Jimmy?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Re: I shall call him...James. Jimmy?

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Much cleaner cuts on the other side...who knew that an end mill can cut a straighter line than a dremel in one hand, and whatever you're cutting in the other?! :crazy:

Took another leap of faith and disassembled the Falkor butt stock folding mechanisms to take it in to get Cerakoted along with the handguard and lower. Will do the upper as well to ensure it all matches, even though I'm not really trying to lose any logos on that piece...just want it all to be a uniform, clean matte black.

Wish I'd taken pictures while disassembling the Falkor butt stock...very impressed with the engineering that went into it. It takes a lot of work to make something as simple as possible. Very straightforward and clever mechanism design. The locking tabs on the sides are pretty small, so clearly I'm not gonna be bashing in any zombie craniums with the stock fully extended, but that's not really the purpose of a PDW stock now is it?

More to follow in a week or so when everything's painted...looking forward to finishing this one up and actually shooting it instead of constant assembling and disassembling!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Got a message from the Cerakoters as I drove into work last night before my "weekend"... Perfect timing!

Nice thin coat of Armorer's black, done with as little hardener as they were comforable with and still be tough enough to take some hits to get the matte finish as non-shiney as possible. Nice work by Custom Cerakote in Converse, TX if you're in the San Antonio area.

Nice coverage on the bare metal where I machined an inch and 1/2 off the Bootleg hand guard.

More pics tonight if I finish re-assembly before the sun goes down. Gonna take my time and try to avoid the Locktite Red debacle from the Grau Speir build since it's my first day back from work and trying to switch back over to a day walker schedule for the weekend!
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:58 pm

Took me until just before the sun was going down, but have it pretty much back together:

And why I had to bubba-fy the lower receiver:

Can't tell in this pic, but there is a very slight difference in color between the Armorblack Cerakote and type-II black anodizing on the BAD 5.56 upper receiver, but you wouldn't notice it if you weren't looking for it...more importantly, no bright white logos anywhere!

5#, 4.5 oz. with the 5.56 upper...with Bobro BUIS, Arisaka finger stop and Arisaka Scout light mount, but no optic, nor light for this weight:

The 5.56 upper will eventually get this barrel when the group buy gets enough orders. I don't normally hang out over there, but joined ARF.com solely to get in on this group buy...anyone looking for a barrel for an ultra lightweight build (pistol or SBR of course) should get in on this. Ulterior motive is to get my damn barrel faster of course so step to it y'all! :lol:

Primary configuration with the 300BLK upper is 4#, 8.6 oz...Arisaka finger stop included at this weight but the V7 Scout light mount isn't mounted here and I'm still waiting for the Leitner-Wise eSights to be available again.

Both uppers still need red dots, but I need to save my pennies for a couple months before making those purchases...one will get an Aimpoint T2 and Fortis F1 mount (likely the 300BLK upper), and the other will get a Trijicon MRO with a BAD mount.

Will post new pics as soon as I get it out to the ranch for some ops tests and as parts come in...still waiting for the Arisaka M300 Scout light bodies to get back in stock and of course still waiting for the Thunderbeast Ultra 5CB can to become available again too.

Already shopping for the pelican case for this one...need something compact, but thick enough to house the second upper, cleaning kit and a second drum mag under the top layer that will have the primary configuration only. Maybe... Will post pics when I decide and get the foam cut...again, that will be after I have the optics and can so it'll be a while.

In the meantime, I'm pretty stoked to run this one through some drills...the light weight and compact configuration really makes it a joy to handle.

Until next time...

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:09 pm

So, as a result of the trials and tribulations custom dyeing mags for my latest build, I wound up with an off-color grip...which fortuitously for me is an original K2 grip!

After turning the original Foliage Green grip OD with the wrong dye mix earlier this week, today I dyed it black to swap out with the grip on this build:

So, I now have a grip for the forthcoming Aereus Rex .308 build, and wound up knocking 1/2 ounce off this PDW build! :awesome:

Still saving up for red dots on both uppers on this build...will update when they're sourced.

Until then:

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:51 pm

I got a package in the mail from Silencershop the other day...it was the muzzle brake and case for the can I bought for this PDW! I presumed that meant they finally did the form 3 transfer to my LGS, and since I had time over lunch today to visit...

Yep!

And the wait continues for the tax stamp to clear...

It’s dark (working a split shift this week), and it’s snowing (!) here in South Central TX right now, so a couple of indoor pics of this rifle’s current configuration:

Haven’t sighted it in w/the MRO yet...

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:00 pm

Hooray! Almost a year later the tax stamp cleared!

And attached:

Will try to get to the range mañana...

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:07 pm

Only one failure to feed in the middle of a 30-rd mag dump out of 150+ rounds; hot loaded super through the suppressor and it may have been that the round wasn’t seated in the mag properly. Other than that, muy bueno... I’ll dial back the gas a bit next time and actually zero the scope.

Even did one mag dump with the rounds mixed up in the mag...subs, supers of different weight/velocity...all good.

And a couple pics in better light...

Pretty happy with this build, despite that “stock” beating the crap out of my shoulder! :ooh: Nice compact package, but don’t think I’d want to do any sustained fire courses or any full auto fire with this one!

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:30 pm

may last suppressor was 13 months.

the completed PDW looks incredible.

Is that lower a SBR or a pistol? That stock does look painful, is that considered a brace or a stock?

the fine print on that stock states " works best with motocross pads", I think you should wear this getup while using Jimmy.

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

ImageImageImage

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:14 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:30 pm
my last suppressor was 13 months.

the completed PDW looks incredible.

Is that lower a SBR or a pistol? That stock does look painful, is that considered a brace or a stock?

the fine print on that stock states " works best with motocross pads", I think you should wear this getup while using Jimmy.

SBR’d lower... and :lol: on the armor. I actually considered getting out an old shooting jacket, and now that you mention it do still have all my old motocross gear up in the attic!

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:34 pm

Minor update, finally got around to putting a red dot on the second upper; this one chambered in 5.56mm.

Since this upper is basically just a backup and almost never used/fired I didn’t go all out on the build; steel gas block, Magpul MBUS instead of Bobro, and I just grabbed another Primary Arms advanced microdot on their most recent sale:

Also, since the Thunderbeast 5C can will be shared between these uppers, I grabbed another TB brake/adapter once they finally got back in stock last week, this one threaded in 1/2”-28 of course:

...ready to be sighted in mañana (after I put in a BCG and charging handle of course!):

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”