I shall call him...James. Jimmy?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

I shall call him...James. Jimmy?

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:34 pm

So I receved a somewhat unexpected gift for Christmas:

OK, so maybe it was an impulse buy that I gave to my wife to wrap up...Merry Christmas! :lol:

Seekins Precision lower #xx007... I shall call him James.

It'll be a light(ish) weight build with a sort of heavy, but strong as hell lower receiver. Have already started the build but just submitted the SBR paperwork yesterday (yes eFile is still down), so this one won't be complete for awhile.

Parts so far:

Seekins Precision SP223 Lower
Geissele SD-3G trigger
V7 Weapons Systems (V7WS) titanium take down pins
V7WS titanium mag release with diamond cut button to match the Seekins bolt catch(es)
V7WS titanium grip bolt

Need to grab a Seekins ambi selector switch as well.

Strongly leaning towards the BAD Saber tube/buffer/stock: https://www.rainierarms.com/battle-arms ... tock-combo

Upper will be a 2A Arms Balios lite upper receiver: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0914/1 ... 1436808804

...and Balios lite rail (leaning towards 12"): http://www.2a-arms.com/collections/rail ... 4753290883

Plus a V7WS charging handle: http://www.vertexops.com/V7_AR15_Chargi ... -chand.htm

(or maybe stick with my standard BCM/VLTOR Mod3)

Bobro Lowrider BUIS: https://www.rainierarms.com/bobro-lowrider-buis

Boomfab or maybe 2A titanium BCG:
http://www.vertexops.com/Boomfab_AR_Tit ... bf8100.htm

http://www.vertexops.com/2A_Regulated_B ... wbcg-a.htm

or:

About 90% sure this will be another 300BLK build but may make this the 450 BM build that I've been waivering on for a couple months now, so barrel/gas block and flash hider still TBD...

Have a few months to decide (and fund this :shock: $$ build!) while waiting for the tax stamp anyway.
Last edited by 91Eunozs on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: I shall call him...James.

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:25 am

Not much of an update but dropped the V7WS pivot and takedown pins in tonight, as well as their "black ion finish" mag latch with diamond cut button:

I think the diamond cut is a nice match for the Seekins ambi bolt catch/release cuts.

And I'm liking the dimpled end of the titanium pins too...thought they'd be tougher to work, but it feels smoother than most ARs I've taken apart:

Edit: Also love how the Seekins lower has a threaded hole for the bolt catch (like the Quentin Defense, and a few others) as well as the rear take down pin detent/spring. Had to cut ~1/3 of the detent spring off since the hole is much shorter (comes up from underneath vs. from behind the end plate held by the castle nut)... Lots of nice features on their products.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:49 pm

New paycheck...new parts:

Installed the trigger (used the 3 1/2# spring) and a black Seekins Precision ambi-safety, and went with an ergo lightweight swift grip (with titanium V7WS grip bolt). A lot more vertical than my typical go-to Magpul grip, but since this will be a lightweight SBR with a slightly shorter buttstock, that should prove beneficial.

Seriously considered getting a red safety for a bit of contrast, kind of like a red tie with a tux, but like this classic blacked out look a lot too.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:40 pm

Christmas in July!

The Balios Lite upper and 12" BL rail for this build came in today:

Griffin Industries light weight MLok QD mount:

Astute observors will note the receiver box is a bit too large for just an upper... Since I was getting the upper and rail, I dropped 2A Arms a request for a specific lower # and the planets just happened to be in alignment, so I bought another lower:

The receivers feel lighter than polymer lowers...crazy light!

Not sure when I'm gonna start that next project...and not in a hurry since I'm still waiting for the tax stamp for the 007 lower...and still have to build that second upper for Grau Speir. Debating whether to SBR the 2A Arms lower and make a truly ultralight build, or just get another upper/12" rail and go w/a Faxon lightweight 14.5" barrel w/pinned flash hider for a lightweight build.

Or hell, maybe save this whole set for that future build and go a different direction on this one. Maybe do a shorter 300BLK barrel under a 15.5" Odin Works O2 Lite rail with the AAC can partially recessed... We tested my actual can under one today and it fits, though I'd likely have to remove the rail every time I wanted to swap the can to another rifle since the locking tab for the 51T mount would be difficult to depress w/the rail on.

It really did feel like Christmas, because not only did the Balios Lite receiver set come in, the two cans I bought from Silencer Shop up in Austin a couple months ago arrived at my LGS today too...the place is literally around the corner from work, so I didn't even have to go far. Still waiting for the Form 4/stamp on both of course but nice to see the Form 3 transfer to my LGS is complete.

Still waiting on the tax stamps for the cans, but at least got to handle them today.

Until next time...

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Got all excited when I saw the envelope w/the BATFE address.

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:27 am

...alas, forgot Seekins doesn't call their lowers an "AR15"... It's an SP223.

Guess I get to go back to the end of the line. Nobody to blame but me though. :vmad:

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:43 pm

Well, that was quick! 9" Odin Works O2 lite rail is already here! Mocked up here on my extra upper receiver for Grau Spéir...yes, I need to finish that second upper and get the foam cut for that set's case too.

Barrel is still enroute...can't believe someone actually beat BCM's shipping! About 99% sure the upper receiver will now be a Battle Arms Development lightweight upper since I'm saving that Balios Lite set for another future lightweight build...gotta finish up all these mostly completed builds and get them into the hands of close friends and family before starting yet another project. Still torn over whether or not I want to SBR that one too.

Regardless, I think the BAD upper will look good with the O2 rail... Anyone else have a better choice in mind to match?

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Re: Got all excited when I saw the envelope w/the BATFE addr

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:37 pm

91Eunozs wrote:...alas, forgot Seekins doesn't call their lowers an "AR15"... It's an SP223.

Guess I get to go back to the end of the line. Nobody to blame but me though. :vmad:

:gonk: You may not be at the end of the line.

When did you submit the form and when did you get the notice? Just trying to get some idea, I sent in 2 forms in Feb and another at end of June of this year [old rules]. I don't expect the June one until next June but I was thinking I could get my other 2 stamps anytime now. :? The one I did before these was 4 months.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

ImageImageImage

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:42 pm

Submitted mid-January... Check cleared in Feb.

My first three took over a year...back during the craziness. Last couple of cans took almost exactly 5 months as did the first couple of SBR Form 1s. Third one took a bit more than that...

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:17 am

Ok, so looks like I'm a month behind you and if you just got that notification, then I have a month to go.
Subb'd in Feb, CC charged right after they got the form. Thanks.
Lifetime gamer watch at:

ImageImageImage

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:29 am

Getting closer.

9" BCM 300BLK barrel and Arisaka finger stop (thanks for the idea Hatchtrikk!) actually came in earlier this week, but I've been too busy at work (and too tired after returning home) to even open the box until this morning.

Mocked up here with the 2A Balios Lite upper for a quick test fit:

Barrel ends just short of the hand guard, and will extend just past the end with an AAC 51T flash hider. Either my current SDN-6 or the longer SD can currently in BATFE purgatoty awaiting its stamp will spin on with .1" to spare all the way around under the hand guard.

Unfortunately, that's as close to the lower receiver any upper with a barrel <16" is gonna get for now...still waiting for this lower's Form 1 tax stamp to clear, and I enjoy my military retiree check-of-the-month club membership far too much to throw it away!

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:52 pm

Guess I didn't go back to the end of the line afterall! :awesome:

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:22 pm

What I didn't point out in last night's post after an 18-hour day at work (lucky to get that one pic up before I passed out), is the bag of V7 goodies covering the opsec related bits of James' tax stamp...

Some bits for that 2A Arms lower (lightweight take down pins, lightweight bolt catch), titanium port door and lightweight straight rod for Grau Spéir's second upper, as well as an inconel gas tube and titanium firing pin for this build.

Took the black JP stainless steel LMOS bolt carrier with a BCM bolt from my daughter's rifle for this build until I can save up for a black Boomfab titanium bolt carrier. Replacing hers with the same BCG, but in polished stainless to match the new barrel, etc. instead of black.

New upper and black V7 titanium gas block on next paycheck and then this build will be nearly complete.

Still waiting to see if that Falkor Optimus collapsible PDW buttstock will ever go into production. Now that the tax stamp has cleared I'm eager to complete this build and if it's still not available after I assemble the upper in a couple weeks, plus another two weeks after that to buy the Bobro BUIS, then I'm leaning towards just pulling the trigger and buying the Maxim PDW stock.

If Falkor responded to even one of my several calls/emails over the past couple of months inquiring about availability, or maybe even if they simply posted up an estimated date for availability on their website I might be tempted to wait...but not gonna go any further out of my way to give my business to an organization that seems to be going out of its way to not communicate to prospective customers.

Just my $.02...

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:51 am

91Eunozs wrote:Guess I didn't go back to the end of the line afterall! :awesome:

:clap: awesome stuff.

Looks like the approval stamp occurred B4 you posted the issue on ZS.
Post 8/18
Approval 8/16

Was that resolved via mail/email/what?
Lifetime gamer watch at:

ImageImageImage

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:58 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
91Eunozs wrote:Guess I didn't go back to the end of the line afterall! :awesome:

:clap: awesome stuff.

Looks like the approval stamp occurred B4 you posted the issue on ZS.
Post 8/18
Approval 8/16

Was that resolved via mail/email/what?
As far as I can tell, my form was already approved when they sent me the correction request... Once I gave them the proper nomenclature for that lower they just stamped it and mailed it back to me w/the stamp.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Almost there!

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:58 pm

...getting very close now.

Got the email notification letting me know the Battle Arms lightweight upper receiver was back in stock (only one!) so I jumped on it even though funds timing isn't the best.

Battle Arms Development lightweight upper receiver (new 6.2 oz version)
V7 lightweight port door and rod (swapped in a black tension spring though)
BCM 9" fluted 300BLK barrel, 1 in 8" twist, pistol-length gas
Next Intent titanium adjustable gas block
V7 inconel gas tube
AAC 51T flash hider (to mount either of my AAC SDN cans...fits under the hand guard...barely!)
Odin Works 9.5" O2 Lite keymod hand guard
Arisaka finger stop
Bobro Low Rider BUIS (saving up for an Aimpoint Micro)
JP stainless steel LMOS bolt carrier with BCM bolt and V7 titanium firing pin
BCM/Vltor large (mod 3) charging handle

Still no word from Falkor on the Optimus PDW butt stock after several emails, so I'm ordering a Battle Arms Development Sabertube fixed stock mañana...will run that until next Spring when I'll use it on a lightweight build and if the Falkor is still vaporware, will get a Maxim defense CQB stock.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Phase one complete!

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:29 pm

So, Ranier Arms came through before I head back to work on Sunday, and an optimistic WTB post over on M4carbine.net yielded a score on a gently used Boomfab titanium bolt carrier with Rubber City Armory adjustable gas block already installed!

Frohe Weihnachten indeed!

Installed the V7 buffer retainer and the Battle Arms Development Sabertube:

Used copious amounts of blue Locktite on the buffer tube threads since there's no provision for staking the non-existent castle nut, but like Rick Shaw mentioned in his thread on a lightweight build using this same setup, time will tell if it's solid enough to use for the long run. This stock setup's going on the next build some time next Spring anyway...as will the Boomfab bolt carrier. "James" already has an adjustable gas block, so no need for the adjustable gas key on the carrier too...and though it's certainly light (see below!), that's not the primary intent of this build.

Swapped the BCM bolt and titanium firing pin over from the JP LMOS stainless steel carrier for now, though I'll eventually put that one back in ... about 2 ounces heavier.

Turned out a bit lighter than I anticipated...though again, that was not the primary goal for this build:

Very happy with how this one turned out...even in its interim non-PDW form.

100% chance of rain tomorrow...in fact, as you can see from the water drops on the close ups, I got these photos in between rain showers...and back to work on Sunday so not likely I'll get it sighted in out at the ranch this weekend, so until then...

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: I shall call him...James. (4 Jan '16 update)

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:54 pm

Version 1.5

So, guess what's no longer vaporware!

Awaiting word on a .mil discount for the butt stock, but decided to make the (now) yet-to-be built 300BLK primary upper with a Bootleg Inc. receiver and a 9" Seekins MCSR V2 hand guard so the chevron design carries through the length of the rifle, albeit reversed from the buttstock to the upper:

Edit: Just saw Bootleg's handguard uses BCM KMR mounting hardware...which would allow the use of V7 titanium KMR hardware for a bit more weight loss up front to offset what I expect to be a heavier buttstock. Hmmm...

...and rebarreled the current upper/handguard with the 10.3" Daniel Defense 5.56mm barrel originally in my daughter's rifle

Gained 5.4 ounces with the 1.3" longer non-fluted barrel, steel gas block and slightly longer (carbine vs. pistol-length) gas tube:

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics...just finished and it's dark outside; will get better pics tomorrow.

Edit Dos: waited too long and missed the golden hour for taking pics with an iPad...funky lighting...

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: I shall call him...James. (Jimmy?)

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:00 pm

A couple of updates...

First of all, the upper and handguard finally showed up!

Dog's go nuts just as we're sitting down for dinner...what's this big box?

Woot!

Awfully big box for a 9" rail...especially when put into an even bigger box surrounded by bubble wrap. Clearly use the same box for all lengths of their handguards with, or without the mounting hardware included (optional). At least their stuff shows up in good condition!

Almost everything for the new version of the primary (300BLK) upper for this build. Dogs are convinced it's another dog food delivery (bi-monthly delivery from Amazon showed up just prior to this).

Bootleg lightweight upper and 9.4" Picmod (keymod built into picatinney rails)
V7 lightweight port door and door rod (I'll swap in a black spring from my spares)
BCM 9" fluted 300BLK barrel from the previous iteration of this build
V7 titanium KMR barrel nut and titanium shims (with new BCM cross bolts)
AAC 51T flash hider...had to use a couple shims to time it properly.
Next Intent adjustable titanium gas block
V7 inconel pistol-length gas tube
Arisaka key mod finger stop
Arisaka key mod 45 degree Surefire scout light mount
V7 charging handle

Keen observors will note the new (to me) Boomfab titanium stripped bolt carrier. Was finally able to source a black one for this build... Gas key still hasn't arrived (missing from a shipment from Fail Zero with parts from another build), so I'll get the weights with the same gold-colored (TiN) one waiting to go into the 2A Arms lightweight build still in progress. Both have BCM bolts and V7 titanium firing pins.
Last edited by 91Eunozs on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: I shall call him...James. (4 Jan '16 update)

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:14 pm

A couple more pics before turning in for the night. Unfortunately, the Falkor Optimus butt stock isn't here yet...delayed enroute due to bad weather and not expected until Monday after I'm back to work.

Put the old ACOG mount on to keep the rails aligned while tightening the KMR blocks. This hand guard was bit of a pain to install until I realized the inconel gas tube was just thick(er) enough to slightly interfere with the wedge block cross bolts. Gently clearanced the gas tube and tapped the bolts in to finally got 'er done.

Butt stock should be an easy install though so pics when it gets here. Still waiting for the Arisaka Scout light flashlight body to get back in stock to finish out this build.

Well, until the Thunderbeast Ultra 5C suppressor is available again...though that will be a long wait for the tax stamp anyway; we're still waiting for the 3 cans purchased back in June just before the rules changed for trusts. Just have a thread protector on for now but will put the 51T mount back on and run one of my AAC cans until the I get the Thunderbeast.

Edit: it's clear I'll need to chop this handguard down an inch or so to clear the suppressor. Unlike the Odinworks handguard, this one won't clear the can under the handguard so I'll need to cut off a bit to make room.

Less weight!

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:16 pm

Almost complete...

With less than an hour before I need to get ready for work tonight, dogs go nuts again. Oh yeah! UPS delivers on Federal holidays!

As expected, this setup weighs a bit more than the BAD Sabertube, carbine spring and buffer:

Clever design... wedge block(s) hold the QD attachment/guide into the lower, so no need for locktite:

...but I used a thin film of blue locktite anyway. Snug fit for the buffer tube, thankfully they include a provision for a 1/4" hex key in the back to tighten the buffer tube on:

I like to use an old pair of hemostats from work to hold the buffer retainer in case it goes flying...harder to pop out, but easier to find if it does!

Stock looks good and this iteration only gained 3.7 ounces over the original build...albeit without BUIS, but with the Arisaka Scout light mount missing from the previous iteration. Extra weight is behind the center of gravity though, so the rifle feels more nimble despite the added weight.

Happy with the overall look and gained just over an inch of LOP too:

This upper will get Leitner-Wise esights instead of the Bobro adjustable sights on the 5.56mm upper.

One will get a Trijicon MRO, the other an Aimpoint T2...haven't decided which upper will get what optic yet though. And still need to get this handguard in to my buddy's machine shop to take an inch or so off the front to clear the can...will drop an ounce or so off the front when that's complete.

Also, 10 internet points to anyone who can identify why I've taken to calling this build "Jimmy" instead of "James"...

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:07 am

Jimmy gets his new (to me) Boomfab bolt carrier and accoutrements. yeah, yeah...finally off work for a couple days and promise I'll get around to cleaning my work bench!

Boomfab bolt carrier
Bravo Company bolt (not shown in pic above)
V7 improved cam pin
V7 titanium firing pin
Fail Zero NiB gas key

Lucy's impressed...

...or maybe just thinks it's a milk bone!

...giving me the disappointed look.

Black carrier definitely looks better on this build...the original "gold" (TiN) carrier will go into the next lightweight build in progress where the color will better match the Cerakote finish on that one.

MacWa77ace

Re: I shall call him...James. (Martin Loofa King day update

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:41 am

uh, uh, oh, uh ....

K- k- 'Cause its smaller than this?

Lifetime gamer watch at:

ImageImageImage

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: I shall call him...James. Jimmy?

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:07 pm

So, I took a huge leap of faith...and Jimmy's back down to 4# 9.6 oz. with the finger stop and light mount but without sights, mag, etc.

Turned out a lot better than I expected and pics when I get it back from having it Cerakoted. Added bonus: All logos, etc. will be gone and this rifle will be all matte black!

In the meantime, here's a teaser:

Who knew Bootleg made a 7" rail?

Oh yeah, they don't!

:shock:

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: I shall call him...James. (Martin Loofa King day update

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:28 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:uh, uh, oh, uh ....

K- k- 'Cause its smaller than this?

:lol:

22" completely collapsed...

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”