Practical Lightweight AR Build

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Re: Practical Lightweight AR Build

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:12 pm

I guess you could always throw some foam padding on the sabretube... Wouldn't add much weight.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:36 pm

91Eunozs wrote:I guess you could always throw some foam padding on the sabretube... Wouldn't add much weight.
No.....you wouldn't be able to use the charging handle

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:53 pm

Great thread, as usual. I always enjoy reading your stuff, thorough research and always interesting!

The vast majority of all my AR's have always been lightweights, going back to the first SP1 and then SP1 carbine I bought in the 70's. The lightweight factor was the whole purpose for the 5.56 cartridge in my thinking. I continued that trend with guns that I built for myself and family. I watched the heavy barrel quad rail fad with amusement, while being told that my lighter guns weren't as "accurate" or wouldn't hold up to hard use. I just smiled knowing how much more ammo I could carry with the 2-3 lb weight savings over the guns I saw friends building.

It's good to see common sense return to the AR world with so many lightweight gun and parts choices being offered today. My next project is going to be a lighter weight .308 I think, either a new build, or trimming down one of the ones I own.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:05 am

400 Grains wrote:Great thread, as usual. I always enjoy reading your stuff, thorough research and always interesting!

The vast majority of all my AR's have always been lightweights, going back to the first SP1 and then SP1 carbine I bought in the 70's. The lightweight factor was the whole purpose for the 5.56 cartridge in my thinking. I continued that trend with guns that I built for myself and family. I watched the heavy barrel quad rail fad with amusement, while being told that my lighter guns weren't as "accurate" or wouldn't hold up to hard use. I just smiled knowing how much more ammo I could carry with the 2-3 lb weight savings over the guns I saw friends building.

It's good to see common sense return to the AR world with so many lightweight gun and parts choices being offered today. My next project is going to be a lighter weight .308 I think, either a new build, or trimming down one of the ones I own.
For me the only 308 Battle rifle I would consider owning again is the Springfield soccom16. I have owned ar, g3 clones, fal clones and even a salga chambered in 308....the soccom16 topped them all in terms of weight, handling and recoil.

That's just my personal preference...every man has to find there weapon of choice.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:00 am

Rick Shaw wrote:
For me the only 308 Battle rifle I would consider owning again is the Springfield soccom16. I have owned ar, g3 clones, fal clones and even a salga chambered in 308....the soccom16 topped them all in terms of weight, handling and recoil.

That's just my personal preference...every man has to find there weapon of choice.
I have a Socom, but my S&W MP10 weighs less with it's 18" barrel than the Socom does with a 16" When I'm done with it, it will be even lighter. The S&W is more accurate with it's 5R barrel, and the ergo's are better for me.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”