Scout v. Hunting Rifle

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ratz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978/2004); Resident Evil; Zombi; Evil Dead

Scout v. Hunting Rifle

Post by ratz » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:41 am

Evening all... been a while since I've been on. Work has kept me from hanging out on the boards but I continue to notch out time to keep our preparedness updated and range time whenever I can.

Looking to fill out the last few pieces of our firearm component for our urban preparedness.

What We Have So Far

Marlin 795
Mossberg 590A1
Springfield XD 45 Tactical
S&W M&P 15 Sport

I am strongly looking into a Mossberg MVP Scout .308 as my long(er) range component. I'm considering the Mossberg option in particular because their MVP series all take standard AR magazines. Being in an urban environment, I'm not sure if I really have a need for 700+ yard solution. A scout rifle (from what I've read) is reliable out to 300 yards.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the Mossberg MVP Scout, scout v. hunting rifles or the need for a 700+ yard solution in an urban environment and a bug out location that can only be considered "somewhat rural".

TIA!

Stan

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Re: Scout v. Hunting Rifle

Post by buck85 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:19 am

2 thoughts;
1. I would rather have more rifle than needed and not need it,than need a long shot and not have the gun to take it.
2. but, a gun that you can not afford to shoot, a place to practice or to much gun for you to shoot will defeat the purpose of the gun
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

Plinkster

Post by Plinkster » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:17 pm

The .308 is a 700+ yard round. In an urban situation, I would consider .308 for more than just longer range. Penetration and impact energy would be something to think about.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:54 pm

Your AR is actually a pretty decent 2yards-300 yard (+) solution

I haven't heard anything bad about the mvp though if you are looking at a 308 for longer or more 'power'. I've looked pretty hard at them as a bolt gun option too. Pretty affordable and the AR type (ie Magpul and Lancer) option is a big selling point.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Spectrum
Favorite Zombie Movies: World War Z, 28 Days Later, and of course, Zombieland.

Post by Spectrum » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:58 pm

I'm a big fan of the 700 series from Remington. I had a .308 a year or so ago, but ended up selling it. I am definitely going to pick up another one, or a .300 WM. Great rifles.
Chive On

"If death causes you no pain when you're dead, it is foolish to allow the fear of it to cause you pain now"

- Epicurus

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:18 pm

TheLastOne wrote:Your AR is actually a pretty decent 2yards-300 yard (+) solution

I haven't heard anything bad about the mvp though if you are looking at a 308 for longer or more 'power'. I've looked pretty hard at them as a bolt gun option too. Pretty affordable and the AR type (ie Magpul and Lancer) option is a big selling point.

I have the .308 patrol, and it's the opposite of a Scout rifle. It's heavier, mainly the barrel is thick as hell, and instead of throwing the optic forward it stays over the action, but even very low scopes clear the barrel-mounted irons as long as the objective bell isn't massive. I used a QD one-piece k unt that increased weight over a set of rings, but I'm two levers from usable irons.

The stock is unimpressive, the factory rear sight is an adjustable notch, and there have been some concerns over the plastic mag well. There are aftermarket mag wells, mag releases, stocks, rails (including a long-ass stepped one if you decide you want to have the option for a Scout or standard scope) and the LSS chassis system. The trigger is close to a Savage Accutrigger, and maybe it's my uncultured fingers but right down to the lack of pressure on the safety blade. The sight base is for Williams sights, so a fiber optic ghost ring (WGRS 70919 I think) can be mounted. IMO the ghost ring makes a better point-blank sight should you want to use it as a brush gun. The action is a bit loose, so tighten and loctite everything, but even then there's still some bolt wobble when it's pulled back, akin to some of the older Mausers I've handled. The upside is that so far they've been tolerant of crap in the action or recoating the action/bolt. The downside is that the action requires a stiff hand; there is no easing the bolt open to single-feed like Tom Beringer.

Finally, this only goes for the patrol. Some shooters have had bad barrels, but Mossberg's so far been good about fixing them. The 5.56 version bolts were breaking, but that was predicted by many based on the design of the bolt. .308 bolts are different.

TL:DR for $500 (or a ragged-out AK) not a bad gun, much cheaper than a .308 AR, FAL, or PTR. The mags are a neat aside, mainly because DBM makes unloading quick and easy and safer than having to cycle them all out. In many ways I think they outclass the Remington 700, but fall short of Tikka, Savage, and other midrange bolt actions for purely accuracy.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:42 pm

^ welp now I've heard some bad stuff :mrgreen:

Bummer they are that rough; probably fits right into 'get what you pay for'.
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:27 pm

Could be. Mine's from an early run, so they may be getting better. I haven't been on the MVP forum in a minute. I might try to hit the range tomorrow if I can get time off the schedule, but the only cheap rifle range nearby is forty minutes away.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:23 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Could be. Mine's from an early run, so they may be getting better. I haven't been on the MVP forum in a minute. I might try to hit the range tomorrow if I can get time off the schedule, but the only cheap rifle range nearby is forty minutes away.
Same drive for me :/
Is not a motivator
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:57 pm

I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 10 camo version... love it. I have a lot of practice to get in with it, but if you already have the M&P 15, consider the M&P 10 as the .308 solution. Identical controls, accurate, light-weight. Just a thought.
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

ironhead7544
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Night of the Living Dead"

Post by ironhead7544 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:55 am

The true scout was designed as a light weight all purpose rifle for out to 300 meters. If you want a longer range rifle, I would go with a Remington 700 heavy barrel .308 with a good optic.

Dont know about the MVP. I like the detachable magazine options for it.

Dioxin

Post by Dioxin » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:29 am

If your expected engagement range were 300yards or less, you are probably better off with your AR.

If your AR isnt up to snuff with regards an accuracy requirement, then either a better AR or Bolt-Action are your best options.

Now regards power, if the 5.56 is up to the task but needed more accuracy, then a 5.56 bolt action may serve your purpose without adding another calibre.

If you need more power, but not more range, I'd suggest a 300BLK Upper for your AR.

If you need more power, range, and accuracy then sure a 308 Bolt-Action might work, but you might be better served with 6.5 Creedmoor or other dedicated long range calibre.

Regards

Dio

Frieslander

Post by Frieslander » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:46 pm

MVPs are just okay. Mossberg isn't a rifle company, and they are interested in selling to a price point instead of selling to a product quality level. Savages are generally better built/engineered and are better to work on, but they'll let doozies through sometimes. I have a friend that ordered a tactical-model .308 (for duty use, no less) that had crippling light strike issues
    right out of the box. There is pretty much only one way to not notice that in the QC process. But that's pretty rare and again, Savages can be built into excellent rifles.

Can you shoot to 700 yards? Do you have somewhere to shoot that far and learn if you can't?

There isn't anything wrong with wanting a bolt gun but if it isn't serving a specific purpose or desire I'd be looking for something different or investing the money elsewhere.

rjm

Post by rjm » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:56 pm

I'm going to show my stupidity here, but if you're in an urban environment, unless you're aiming down the freeway, how many 700yd engagements are you going to be in? I live in a very rural area, but because of the lay of the land and woods/obstacles, I can't look in any one direction and see an uninterrupted view for more than 300 at the max.
    "Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."

skruface
    Favorite Zombie Movies: Anything by Romero or Argento

Post by skruface » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:15 pm

I have quite a few friends who shoot the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in .308 for deer out here on the prairies of Canada. A couple used to shoot Steyr scout rifles but had trigger problems - the tirgger guard is notorious for breaking (it's plastic).

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteSc ... odels.html

Also, the Canadian Rangers (an all-volunteer QRF trained by the military but made up almost entirely of aboriginal people living in the furthest reaches in Northern Canada) recently replaced their 60 year old Lee Enfieldsin .303 with a version of the Sako/TIKKA T3 Compact Tactical Rifle in 7.62 (T3 CTR with 24"bbl - which is actually a collaboration between Sako and Colt Canada; Colt is making the barrels/mags/recievers under license, Sako/TIKKA is making everything else), which beat out the Steyr and a few others in a government contract competition. Considering specs dictated it need to have a removeable 10 round magazine, be capable of taking down a polar bear, and be able to operate flawlessly in -50C, I think it would make a decent all-around rifle. Apparently Sako is going to be releasing a version of these rifles to the civi market.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/news/canadia ... ka-t3-ctr/

Halfapint
    Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:20 pm

I just got a Savage 10 tactical. It's got the over sized bolt handle, accutrigger (VERY nice for stock), bill barrel, and a picatinny rail fit mounting. Took it to a 200ymd range and was putting freedom reloads easily within a post-it note.

I've got access to a 400yd range is really like to get out there and see if I can beat my uncles Rem 700 that's been pretty heavily modded.
    JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
    Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”