The Pirate: Ar chambered in 5.45x39

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mortblanc
Favorite Zombie Movies: All 3 of the Omega Man
Book of Eli
does Quest for Fire count?

Re: The Pirate: Ar chambered in 5.45x39

Post by mortblanc » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:21 am

WHY ???

Personally, all I would do is replace the red dot with a modest scope, a good sling and spend the money on stacking ammo high and deep.

It is way too easy to over do a simple and functional AR build like this.

'Course that is just one opinion, and its your rifle.
The nice thing about being over the hill is you get to coast the rest of the way.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:35 am

mortblanc wrote:WHY ???

Personally, all I would do is replace the red dot with a modest scope, a good sling and spend the money on stacking ammo high and deep.

It is way too easy to over do a simple and functional AR build like this.

'Course that is just one opinion, and its your rifle.
WHY YOU ASK???
Because Pirates do not roll with Stock Weapons :twisted:
Just ask Black Beard

ironhead7544
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Night of the Living Dead"

Post by ironhead7544 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:32 am

Great job. The 5.45x39 is a great round.

Be careful that you dont chamber a 5.45x39 in your 5.56x45. That is no fun.

If you shoot corrosive, use a black powder cleaner first, then clean normally.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:02 pm

I put about a hundred bucks into the Pirate and here is what we Have
I went with
Mission First Minimalist stock
B5 Grip
B5 Keymod Handguard
BCM Keymod Flashlight mount with my Surefire G2
Yankee hill Phantom 2 Flash hider (in case a pirate needs to use it as an impact weapon)
Mission First Mag coupler

The B5 handguard goes well with the retro handguard cap.
I found some rubber keymod grip panels for 7 dollars made by Ergo grip.
The B5 is very skinny and the rubber helps with keeping a solid positive grip on the rifle.

My only complaint about the B5 Handguard; no mounting directly under the handguard for a foregrip. I bought a BCM angled grip at the same time that I bought the handguard thinking I would be able to add a grip. Waste of money since there is a lack of mounting at the 6 o’clock position.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:03 pm

Forgot to mention....I was thinking about a bayonet....I haven't decided

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:57 pm

9/10 recent ancestors recommend a bayonet.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:15 am

KGBrick wrote:9/10 recent ancestors recommend a bayonet.
I made a rifle built around a pirate theme...no part of this is meant to be practical

aikorob

Post by aikorob » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:09 am

speaking as one of those who put pointy ends on their rifle,
you need to adapt one of these:
http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/88CS/1917_CUTLASS.aspx
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:20 pm

Rick Shaw wrote:
I made a rifle built around a pirate theme...no part of this is meant to be practical
I'm not sure what went wrong but I get the feeling that there has been a miscommunication in one or both directions here. Do you mean that a bayonet too practical for a pirate-themed rifle? I was most seriously recommending a bayonet, preferably either a sword-bayonet or one that can easily be held between the teeth.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:05 pm

KGBrick wrote:
Rick Shaw wrote:
I'm not sure what went wrong but I get the feeling that there has been a miscommunication in one or both directions here. Do you mean that a bayonet too practical for a pirate-themed rifle? I was most seriously recommending a bayonet, preferably either a sword-bayonet or one that can easily be held between the teeth.
Agreed...a bayonet for a pirate gun needs to be over the top and cool

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:55 am

I found the pirate a mate:

A M&P full size chamber in .357 Sig (Another nasty neck down round)

I set up a war belt for them too:

An Eagle Industries belt with (Moving left to right)
-Older style Blackhawk pistol belt pouch
-ESS tactical (Only available at SKDtac) 7.62 triple shigle with 5.56 kydex incerts
-Milspec Money Velcro panel with zipper pouch
-Greyjoy Velcro patch (We do not Sow)
-ESS Tactical belt mounted rolling dump pouch
-Eagle Industries leg drop with G-Code RTI mount
-G-Code Kydex RTI holster for M&P
-Blue force gear double pistol pouch

This set up should work well for raiding merchant vessels in the Bahamas

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:55 pm

How ya like that MFT Stock?
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:45 pm

brothaman wrote:How ya like that MFT Stock?
I love it....I like the looks and it locks up pretty solid with the tube. Highly recommend it.

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:16 pm

I have two AR rifles in 5.45. One is a Huldra piston gun and the other is an upper from Alpha Sports. Both have rail height gas blocks for mounting sights.

I like the caliber and enjoyed the spam can fun but when the price went up it lost some of it's luster. Surprisingly it was very accurate.

Keeping it in reliable magazines has been a challenge. I have already discarded two barely used C Mags and one ASC (I think was the brand?) when they continually fumbled.

I tried to run the Huldra at a class and when it went down due to the magazines I just went back to a 5.56 gun, I have't really had time to source additional 5.45 mags yet. It does feel like a slap in the face to buy steel gi style mags for $15 for a "cheap" gun. Any recommendations on mags?
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:49 am

OP: Mad props on the Greyjoy sigil. Keeping it pirate all the way.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:37 am

Rick Shaw wrote:
brothaman wrote:How ya like that MFT Stock?
I love it....I like the looks and it locks up pretty solid with the tube. Highly recommend it.
MFT is located in my hometown of Bensalem PA... small world.
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:35 pm

Well, just call it inspired in 7.62x39....

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:26 pm

Rick Shaw wrote:
KGBrick wrote:
Rick Shaw wrote:
Agreed...a bayonet for a pirate gun needs to be over the top and cool
Might I also recommend that, if possible, you find someone to screen print a jolly roger on a nomex banner that may then be affixed to the barrel?

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:56 pm

ashwednesday wrote:I have two AR rifles in 5.45. One is a Huldra piston gun and the other is an upper from Alpha Sports. Both have rail height gas blocks for mounting sights.

I like the caliber and enjoyed the spam can fun but when the price went up it lost some of it's luster. Surprisingly it was very accurate.

Keeping it in reliable magazines has been a challenge. I have already discarded two barely used C Mags and one ASC (I think was the brand?) when they continually fumbled.

I tried to run the Huldra at a class and when it went down due to the magazines I just went back to a 5.56 gun, I have't really had time to source additional 5.45 mags yet. It does feel like a slap in the face to buy steel gi style mags for $15 for a "cheap" gun. Any recommendations on mags?
No high quality 545x39 mags are out there as far as I can find.

There are three brands that are readily available
C-products
Asc
Ar stoner (midwayusa house brand)

I have all three and they are about the same as far as quality

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:14 am

Over labor day I was shooting with my brother-in-law (Huge AK74 shooter who doesn’t own a single rifle chambered in 5.56 or .223).

He loved the 5.45x39 AR and made me an offer on the upper I couldn’t turn down.

So I used the money made from the budget upper to build a serious and practical upper to go with the pirate lower. The pirate is now a more solid war fighting weapon instead of a tacti-cool novelty.

Target shot at 25 yards in the standing using two strings of rapid fire with a mag change between strings

Most of the parts used were bought over the last few months when they are on sale or clearance. I pick up parts all the time to have fodder for future builds.

I used another Yankee Hill stripped upper because it matched the spike’s lower and I ordered another 5.45x39 dust cover from Tactical Galaxy. I found a tear drop forward assist made by bushmaster from an on-line parts liquidator. I always go for tear drop over round when I can.

The sights are polymer Diamond Head Tactical I got from Primary Arms some 4 months ago when they were on clearance for 70 bucks.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Diamondhead ... p/1499.htm

The flash hider, gas block, gas tube, bolt cam, and bolt carrier are all VooDoo Innovations with life coat I got from Fourguysguns on half off sale two months. Voodoo life coated parts are pricey but the half off sale let me pick up most of the parts I needed without breaking the bank.

http://store.fourguysguns.com/brands/Ad ... t=featured

The only VooDoo part I had to pay full price for was the bolt at $100 direct from there website.

The Barrel is Ballistic Advantage 14.5 inch government low profile barrel chamber in 5.45x39. At 25 oz it is just 4 oz heavier than their low profile pencil model but it has a .750 gas block (Instead of .625) which meant I could use the Voodoo life coated gas block I already owned. The sale price for the barrel is currently $166 but I bought it over Labor Day weekend which knocked the price down to $142 with free shipping.

http://ballisticadvantage.com/14-5-inch ... arrel.html

Another plus to the Gov barrel (With .750 gas block) over the pencil (With .625 gas block) is that I get the full benefit of the VooDoo manimal flash hider that is design to allow a .750 gas block to fit over it when pinned to a barrel…such as I had to do to make the 14.5inch barrel legal on a rifle.

http://store.fourguysguns.com/vdi-manim ... ash-hider/

I wanted to go grey with the new build. I love the grey movement in gear and I own a some gear in grey I can adapt for this rifle. I don’t care about practical purposes of using Grey as a camo pattern…its just my favorite color.

I bought an ALG Defense 12 inch gray EMR rail with M-Lok system a few months ago for Dissipator upper build. The 12 inch rail was too short for the rifle gas system so I didn’t use it for the Dissipator. I held on to the ALG rail in case I needed it for another project.

http://algdefense.com/rails/emr-v1-m-lok.html

I finished the build with Mission First minimalist stock and grip in grey. The grey Mission First uses is very light and will not match Wolf Gray or Stealh grey. It is passable with the grey that ALG uses…but just barely.

Using grey, I decided to get some color on the mags to break up the black. I made a 5.45 stencil and got a Skull and bone vinyl airbrush stencil from Micheal’s hobby store. I used Kyrlon gray primer with Enamel clear coat. I’m not entirely happy with the paint job, but what can you do once the paint sets in.

The optic is a brand called Holosun. It’s a Chinese Aimpoint knock off that promotes 50,000 hours of run time on a single battery. That’s the base model. The more expensive models are dual powered with solor being the secondary power source. I went for the base model with an AR riser which goes for $160 with free shipping on Amazon (Using my saved points I only paid 60 bucks).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KOO ... R6PNBACFXR

Its compact and light. The battery sits between the mount and the optic which cuts down the power knob. The dot is clear and crisp. My only complaint is the dot started out to the far left. I had to adjust almost 30 clicks right to zero in. When I get time, I’m going to remount and see if that helps the situation.

There is the new Pirate gun. It’s a little more serious and practical now. No more talk of war banners hanging from the barrel or two foot long bayonets. Its still affordable with clearance and sales I scouted out over the last few months.

The weight with the optic and empty mag sits at 6 pounds and 9 oz.

I plan on matching the rifle up with some of the grey gear I have acquired over the last four years. I’ll post when I good rig fit for a pirate. Till next time.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:17 am

crypto wrote:OP: Mad props on the Greyjoy sigil. Keeping it pirate all the way.
Thanks.
I paid the gold price for it...not the Iron price

Below is the link
Good quality PVC patches

http://store.fourguysguns.com/products/ ... s-patches/

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:24 am

brothaman wrote:Well, just call it inspired in 7.62x39....
The Picture didn't show up..I'm interested to see the build if you want to fix it.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:32 am

I always have problems linking photos from google.... Trying again.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:59 am

I like Ye Ole Pirate better in black. Nothing wrong it the update. I just really dug the B5 hand guard and the LBD like blackness of it. Also, I really hate the Magpul hand guard I chose for mine. It just isn't working well my squirrel paw hands. I might get a mid-length B5 hand guard or another Troy. The folding sight is a YHM bolt on, the rifle has carbine length gas on a cut down a2 sight post. So, I got options.

Oh, and you were right about the MFT stock. It fits perfect and it tough. I like it.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”