H & R 12 gauge Shot gun, any assisories can add to one?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

reddoginga

H & R 12 gauge Shot gun, any assisories can add to one?

Post by reddoginga » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:48 pm

So I have had a H & R 12 gauge shot gun now for couple months, I not really done anything to it but shot it some maybe around 50 rounds, I did buy a sling for it cause at my dads its a pretty good walk from the house down to the the shooting spot.
This shot gun does have a Tactical Stock on it, and holds 5 shells on the side. I like to get another rail to hold 5 on the other side but not put any money into it, Its a black shot gun but i would like to add some color. We shot it other day and let my female friend shot it, she said needed a scope, can you even add a scope to this gun it has no rail? could One be added?

Thanks any tips or anything on this..

Mikeyboy

Re: H & R 12 gauge Shot gun, any assisories can add to one?

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri May 01, 2015 8:34 am

Is it the H&R Pardner Protector or Tactical that looks something like this?

Its a copy of the Remington 870, so some of the accessories that fit on the 870 may fit on the that H&R pump shotgun.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Fri May 01, 2015 8:45 am

Just MHO, but ghost rings and/or high-vis front sight are probably better than a scope if you really want something better than a bead... Unless you are target shooting out to a distance.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

reddoginga

Post by reddoginga » Fri May 01, 2015 9:11 am

[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/01 ... 945c5e.jpg[/img]] looks just like that one.
It only has the lil thing on front for a sight

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri May 01, 2015 10:44 am

Is the top of the receiver on that shotgun already drilled and tapped. If so just attach a rail.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri May 01, 2015 11:54 am

reddoginga wrote:So I have had a H & R 12 gauge shot gun now for couple months, I not really done anything to it but shot it some maybe around 50 rounds, I did buy a sling for it cause at my dads its a pretty good walk from the house down to the the shooting spot.
If you want to make this into a serious fighting gun, one of the best investments you can make is a modern two-point tactical sling. The best one right now is the Ares Armor Husky Amentum Mk. II, but the slightly older VTAC and VCAS designs are fine too. Don't be lured in by the Ares "shotgun sling" which holds ammo on the sling like a bandoleer. It's a bad place for ammo and impairs the use of the sling.

http://aresarmor.com/store/index.php?ap ... yl2ka620qh
This shot gun does have a Tactical Stock on it, and holds 5 shells on the side. I like to get another rail to hold 5 on the other side but not put any money into it.
Have you seen the ESSTAC Shotgun Cards? They're a set of elastic loops for shells, with Velcro on the back. You buy a bunch of cards (they're pretty cheap, like AR mags; maybe $10-15 each), and get some adhesive-backed Velcro at Home Depot. The Velcro comes in a roll, you cut the length you need, and then separate the male from the female sides. The cards have male (stiff hook) Velcro on the, so put the female (soft and fuzzy) Velcro on the weapon. Cut as big a piece as possible to fit the area you're putting it. I like to put one piece on the left side of the receiver (can't put it on the right because of the ejection port), and another piece on the right side of the buttstock (the side that's normally not up against my face). If a left-handed shooter wants to use the weapon, just remove the card; the soft side of the Velcro is plenty comfortable against the face.

http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-Shotgun-Card-p/ess.106.htm

Pro tip, don't get the MultiCam ones. (Most of my gear is MultiCam.) I read a review and basically they use crappy elastic on those. Get one of the solid colors.
Its a black shot gun but i would like to add some color.
Go to Home Depot. You're there for Velcro anyway, right? Get some camouflage spray paint. Krylon and Rustoleum both make it. Get whatever colors are appropriate to your area. Mask off anything you don't want paint on: the bore, the bolt, the feed ramp, etc. Degrease all surfaces to be painted with a solvent like mineral spirits, turpentine, paint thinner, even rubbing alcohol might work okay. You just don't want any oil or lubricant on those areas, and you want them clean. Spray the whole gun a base coat of a color that makes the most sense in your area. In most places I'd say this should be tan, but if you're in Hawaii or something it might be green. Let this dry thoroughly. Get a pair of fishnet tights and slip the gun inside one leg. Or use another kind of stencil. Now spray blotches or slashes of your other colors over this. Let it dry. Remove the stencil material. A quickie job will look like this:

That's my buddy Rob shooting. I have since added more colors, and used a different stencil (Halloween rubber spiderweb placemat from Ross) for some very limited amounts of black. Laundry bags, doilies, lace curtains, etc. could all work. Or leaves etc.
We shot it other day and let my female friend shot it, she said needed a scope, can you even add a scope to this gun it has no rail? could One be added?
Is your friend an experienced shooter? If so, ask her why she says so, and what kind of scope she recommends.

Are you trying to bang your friend? If so, Install a rail if the receiver is drilled and tapped, throw a cheap scope on there to make her happy, and then get a piece. Then take the scope off and throw it in a drawer. You don't need a scope on your shotgun.

In general, shotguns are fine with a brass bead or other simple fixed sight. Get a good cheek weld, close your left eye, line your right eye up with the bead, focus on it, and place it where you want the slug, or center of your shot pattern, to go. If you plan to shoot slugs much past 50 yards, there are some benefits to either rifle sights or a magnified optic. The magnified optic ("scope") will slow you down, though, so I'd only put one on a dedicated slug hunting gun. (For hunting slugs. Just kidding. For hunting WITH slugs.) This would probably have a rifled barrel and use sabot slugs anyway, so we're talking about a whole new gun.

For a defensive shotgun, use your bead, until or unless you want to invest in a quality red dot sight, probably an Aimpoint T1 or H1 Micro. If it's not a serious fighting gun, you can probably get away with a cheap red dot, at least to see if you like having one on there before you drop the $400 or so on an Aimpoint. I have a cheap Simmons (I think?) red dot on my VEPR; sooner or later I'll replace it with an H1.

Read this for more info on all of the above: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=335121

procyon

Post by procyon » Fri May 01, 2015 8:27 pm

Jeriah wrote:You don't need a scope on your shotgun.
This.
Unless you really need a slug gun for hunting, just don't. A red dot would be ok, but otherwise - don't.
Jeriah wrote:Are you trying to bang your friend? If so, Install a rail if the receiver is drilled and tapped, throw a cheap scope on there to make her happy, and then get a piece. Then take the scope off and throw it in a drawer.
Ok, I suppose there is one situation where you might put a scope on a shotgun. But when she cuts her face on the rim of the scope when it recoils back into her - you still are going to be spending your time alone...

Get a sling. Get a light if you think you might have to shoot it after dark (holding a flashlight and firing a shotgun at the same time is not a good plan).
Get those cards - if only for the reason that it makes keeping your shells separated easier. If you have a pocket full of birdshot for rabbits, but need buckshot for a coyote that showed up - having the buckshot in a card in your pocket is a lot handier than most other options.

The only problem I have with the cards is for hunting in nasty brush. Multiflora rose and raspberry canes have a nasty habit of peeling them off of your gun. Which means they are now lying at the bottom of a pile of thorns. So when hunting in heavy cover, keep the cards in your pockets.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sat May 02, 2015 12:36 am

procyon wrote:
Jeriah wrote:You don't need a scope on your shotgun.
This.
Unless you really need a slug gun for hunting, just don't. A red dot would be ok, but otherwise - don't.
Jeriah wrote:Are you trying to bang your friend? If so, Install a rail if the receiver is drilled and tapped, throw a cheap scope on there to make her happy, and then get a piece. Then take the scope off and throw it in a drawer.
Ok, I suppose there is one situation where you might put a scope on a shotgun. But when she cuts her face on the rim of the scope when it recoils back into her - you still are going to be spending your time alone...

Get a sling. Get a light if you think you might have to shoot it after dark (holding a flashlight and firing a shotgun at the same time is not a good plan).
Get those cards - if only for the reason that it makes keeping your shells separated easier. If you have a pocket full of birdshot for rabbits, but need buckshot for a coyote that showed up - having the buckshot in a card in your pocket is a lot handier than most other options.

The only problem I have with the cards is for hunting in nasty brush. Multiflora rose and raspberry canes have a nasty habit of peeling them off of your gun. Which means they are now lying at the bottom of a pile of thorns. So when hunting in heavy cover, keep the cards in your pockets.
http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accesso ... -MODC.html

I put these on both my Remington and Mossberg shotguns. I decided somewhat arbitrarily that I wanted a direct interface as opposed to a rail. These work great.

procyon

Post by procyon » Sat May 02, 2015 1:21 am

Jeriah wrote:I put these on both my Remington and Mossberg shotguns. I decided somewhat arbitrarily that I wanted a direct interface as opposed to a rail. These work great.
Can't see the link. Just a red 'X' in a little box.
The hospital's web filter is not very helpful in a lot of things...
Assuming it is a WML/mounts of some sort, since you mention rail.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Sat May 02, 2015 10:04 am

procyon wrote:
Jeriah wrote:I put these on both my Remington and Mossberg shotguns. I decided somewhat arbitrarily that I wanted a direct interface as opposed to a rail. These work great.
Can't see the link. Just a red 'X' in a little box.
The hospital's web filter is not very helpful in a lot of things...
Assuming it is a WML/mounts of some sort, since you mention rail.
Can you see this?

It's a two-piece aluminum flashlight mount, basically the equivalent of those old, sheetmetal Tac-Star mounts that put a Mini-Maglite on the barrel of your weapon, but updated. It's a really nice piece of milled aluminum, two pieces actually. It cradles both your barrel and magazine tube, as well as a 1" flashlight (there's an adapter allowing some variation). The combo comes with a Surefire G2X flashlight which fits perfectly. It holds the flashlight at either 3:00 or 9:00, and you can easily hit the tailcap switch with your thumb, if your hand is on the fore-end and the slide is forward.

I like it because a) it's reasonably inexpensive, b) it doesn't add a rail mount requiring an additional piece to mount the flashlight to the rail (this is a weird personal kick I was on about not wanting to add rails to a gun unless I had to), and c) it seems to hold up quite well.

The dedicated SureFire fore-ends are excellent (by all accounts) but these little mounts do the same job for about 15% of the cost.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat May 02, 2015 11:29 am

Jeriah wrote:Get a pair of fishnet tights

PFFT if he doesn't already have 2 pairs in his bob then there is no helping him.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Sat May 02, 2015 1:04 pm

TheLastOne wrote:

PFFT if he doesn't already have 2 pairs in his bob then there is no helping him.
High-quality fishnet tights that fit over my massive, manly, tree-trunk thighs are an expensive speciality item. Use dollar store fishnets for stencil material.

reddoginga

Post by reddoginga » Sat May 02, 2015 1:20 pm

Its got a couple screws in the top but not sure if just hold the gun together or what i will try to get a picture soon

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Sat May 02, 2015 1:24 pm

reddoginga wrote:Its got a couple screws in the top but not sure if just hold the gun together or what i will try to get a picture soon
If they are pretty tiny screws mounted along 12:00 on the receiver, those are almost certainly to fill the drilled-and-tapped holes in the receiver. You buy the correct rail, which should come with longer screws, and you're good to go.

But again, you don't need a scope on a shotgun. You could try a cheap red dot, though, just to see if you like 'em. Or buy a really cheap scope if you're just trying to make a girl happy.

reddoginga

Post by reddoginga » Sat May 02, 2015 3:42 pm

Just trying to do something to the gun. Love to get a red dot not lazer but red dot my dads got one on his Ar-14 its awesome

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Sat May 02, 2015 5:04 pm

reddoginga wrote:Just trying to do something to the gun. Love to get a red dot not lazer but red dot my dads got one on his Ar-14 its awesome
Mini-14? M1A? This?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/5594 ... tml&page=1

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Sat May 02, 2015 6:34 pm

TheLastOne wrote:

Make sure they are mil spec and not some cheapos. Trust me, they are worth the extra $
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

procyon

Post by procyon » Sat May 02, 2015 7:49 pm

Jeriah wrote:Can you see this?
Nope.
Once in awhile a photobucket pic will get through, but that is about it.

But your description is good. Sounds a lot like what we have on the 870 kept by my wife's side of the bed.
At 9 o'clock - it is easy to turn on the light when you need it (for us).
Jeriah wrote:
TheLastOne wrote:

High-quality fishnet tights that fit over my massive, manly, tree-trunk thighs are an expensive speciality item. Use dollar store fishnets for stencil material.
I may need to check my bag...not sure I remembered having those on my packing list...

eeb

Post by eeb » Sun May 03, 2015 10:07 am

Jeriah wrote:
reddoginga wrote:Just trying to do something to the gun. Love to get a red dot not lazer but red dot my dads got one on his Ar-14 its awesome
Mini-14? M1A? This?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/5594 ... tml&page=1
Fat fingers/typo? Papa Bear syndrome? Lack of coffee? If it's the John Thomas build, I'm gonna be jelly. Not sure how you'd mount a Red Dot Sight on there and keep it retro, but if there's a way, JT will find it.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

reddoginga

Post by reddoginga » Tue May 05, 2015 10:23 am

Image ok so. There three tiny screws on top. I do not plan to shot at night unless a intruder guess i could blind him then shot him lol again just a friend no not trying get in her pants no shes new to guns just i myself like to do something to it thanks for all the ideas

111t

Post by 111t » Tue May 05, 2015 9:09 pm

I put an elzetta Zsm mount on mine with a surefire 6px. It's a pretty descent cheaper light option. I also put I hi-viz fiber optic clip on bead. It's pretty bright even in low light. Doesn't do much in no light... But that's what the surefire is for. I also added a Velcro shotgun card side saddle.

Any coyotes that bother me at camp are fucking dead.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”