AK rail

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Re: AK rail

Post by ineffableone » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:46 am

KGBrick wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like they noticed a weak point and then deliberately stressed said weak point to failure. I think testing in which they dropped the rifle, fully assembled, onto the optic (maybe at a 45 degree angle or so) would have been much more informative. Lots of equipment is vulnerable to failure when it is half disassembled.
I would have to agree, dropping it with it open like that was not really a fair test. I could imagine maybe saving dropping with it open till the end, but as the 2nd test, nope that is just trying to break it early.

That said, I still don't like dust cover rails. The MI mini dot mount I got for my RMR works great and isn't attached to my dust cover. If I hadn't found that, I would likely have just stuck with iron sights.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:22 pm

Dave_M wrote:
We'reWolf wrote:
Dave_M wrote:I've never seen a proper repeatability test with a TWS. After all of these years, there's probably a reason. If you want something closer to the eye than the Ultimak can provide, I suggest an optic-specific RS Regulate mount (assuming you have a side rail that's installed properly).
well i can tell you i have shot 300+ rounds and still hold a zero on a ak74
What I'm talking about is a zero tracking test. What was originally done with LaRue mounts was:
Zero rifle
At 100m, take a single shot
Remove optic
Stand up
Sit back down
Attach optic
Take a single shot
Track deviation
Repeat cycle [a lot]
Calculate zero shift both overall and average shot-to-shot

With an AK, it's a tad harder, as it's not going to be done on a subMOA rifle with subMOA ammo. Probably be best to do the same with 5 or 10 shot groups at a closer range and track group centers instead of individual shots (and of course, flip the cover open and closed instead of optic removal between cycles).
i havent done that but i have cleaned it ever time after shooting and it has still kept a zero but do you lol
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:34 am

KGBrick wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like they noticed a weak point and then deliberately stressed said weak point to failure. I think testing in which they dropped the rifle, fully assembled, onto the optic (maybe at a 45 degree angle or so) would have been much more informative. Lots of equipment is vulnerable to failure when it is half disassembled.
I say you're pretty wrong. Drop testing into dirt is barely a drop test at all. I'd expect the TWS to react the same if knocked off the kitchen table while cleaning.

A VFG, who cares If that bites the dust (and I'd want it to give long before a barrel or fore-end) AK dust cover? Especially one that requires the original rear sight to be removed for installation, I'd want that to be as bomb proof as possible.

Dirt is pretty easy to take care of. Unfucking bent metal, no rear sight and a thoroughly knocked out of zero optic is slightly more difficult.

Range gun? Whatever. Something you might want to do serious work with? Pass.
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:50 am

Unorthodox wrote:
I say you're pretty wrong. Drop testing into dirt is barely a drop test at all. I'd expect the TWS to react the same if knocked off the kitchen table while cleaning.

A VFG, who cares If that bites the dust (and I'd want it to give long before a barrel or fore-end) AK dust cover? Especially one that requires the original rear sight to be removed for installation, I'd want that to be as bomb proof as possible.

Dirt is pretty easy to take care of. Unfucking bent metal, no rear sight and a thoroughly knocked out of zero optic is slightly more difficult.

Range gun? Whatever. Something you might want to do serious work with? Pass.
The problem is that they didn't do any other drop testing before opening the cover up and breaking shit. Not that I saw.

If they'd saved the open-cover drop test for last that would be one thing but they didn't; they seem to have just wanted to break it and show their disdain for the product. They didn't make an effort to see what happened in far more likely situations first. Viewers didn't learn anything novel about the product.

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:45 pm

well after seeing what the russian fsb use.. im okay with the dust cover...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxhTNZ1wAsc
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”