New Ruger Mini in .300blk

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mikeyboy

New Ruger Mini in .300blk

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:11 pm

I got to admit it Ruger has made some significant moves recently and after they released the American ranch bolt gun in .300blk , I thought it would be a matter of time before they introduce other rifles in .300blk. However this one is just wacked...a Mini-300blk.

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14Tac ... odels.html

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: New Ruger Mini in .300blk

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:33 pm

If you want it, get it before it gets discontinued like the 6.8 Mini.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:09 pm

Like the idea, but over 1K-really?

If it was $500-$600.
WWSD?

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:18 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:If you want it, get it before it gets discontinued like the 6.8 Mini.
I wondered what happened to that. This is why I stick to really, really major calibers, and I try to stick to pretty common platforms. I'll always be able to buy a spare 5.56mm AR bolt or a new 12-gauge Remington 870 barrel.
Paladin1 wrote:Like the idea, but over 1K-really?

If it was $500-$600.
Even then...the Mini-14 used to be a $300-400 gun, back when AR-15s were $800-1200 guns.

Now you can build a good AR for around $600 or even less. GWACS has Cav-15 lowers for $74, blemished, so you can get the whole bottom half put together for under $200, and BCM will sell you a complete upper for around $400. Time it right and that'll include a BCG (they go on sale sometimes and throw the BCG and charging handle in for free). You can do it cheaper if you're willing to piece it together from individual cheap (but decent) parts. You really can build one for under $600, pretty easy, if you shop around.

Whereas on Gunbroker, new Mini-14s start at 600 and up, used around $500+. The money just doesn't make sense anymore.

Maybe in California though.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:31 pm

Jeriah wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:If you want it, get it before it gets discontinued like the 6.8 Mini.
I wondered what happened to that. This is why I stick to really, really major calibers, and I try to stick to pretty common platforms. I'll always be able to buy a spare 5.56mm AR bolt or a new 12-gauge Remington 870 barrel.

If it was $500-$600.
Even then...the Mini-14 used to be a $300-400 gun, back when AR-15s were $800-1200 guns.

Now you can build a good AR for around $600 or even less. GWACS has Cav-15 lowers for $74, blemished, so you can get the whole bottom half put together for under $200, and BCM will sell you a complete upper for around $400. Time it right and that'll include a BCG (they go on sale sometimes and throw the BCG and charging handle in for free). You can do it cheaper if you're willing to piece it together from individual cheap (but decent) parts. You really can build one for under $600, pretty easy, if you shop around.

Whereas on Gunbroker, new Mini-14s start at 600 and up, used around $500+. The money just doesn't make sense anymore.

Well, I've never been accused of making any sense when it comes to custom guns:
I have more than a few $$ wrapped up in my 300BO.
WWSD?

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:47 pm

Jeriah wrote:

If it was $500-$600.

Nope. Not this model of the Mini. Flash suppressor makes it an illegal "assault weapon" in commiefornia.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:33 am

gunsandrockets wrote:
Jeriah wrote:

If it was $500-$600.

Nope. Not this model of the Mini. Flash suppressor makes it an illegal "assault weapon" in commiefornia.
Oh, right. The normal ones make some sense.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:29 am

If it was $500-$600.
Well that's MSRP. Rarely do I ever see anybody pay that unless something is crazy In Demand. But Mini 30 Tacticals are around $700-800. I bet the .300BLK will be around there as well.

Still, it isn't $500-600
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:44 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:

If it was $500-$600.
Well that's MSRP. Rarely do I ever see anybody pay that unless something is crazy In Demand. But Mini 30 Tacticals are around $700-800. I bet the .300BLK will be around there as well.

Still, it isn't $500-600
Exactly. So now we're back to what Jeriah said, in the age of cheap AR's, and a easy barrel swap, it doesn't make sense money wise.
WWSD?

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:52 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:

If it was $500-$600.

Still, it isn't $500-600
Ditto. I think we had a thread about the Mini-14 a while ago and price was my big beef. The mini-14 & Mini-30 sold for a reasonable price pre-gun & ammo panics. On average back in the day you could pick up a Mini for $450 to $550 or the price of a decent AK-47, and at the time cheaper than any AR. These days they sell for about $750 (well below that +$1K MSRP). It seems the prices for Minis shot up because of the panic but only came down a tiny bit, while AR and AK prices shot up and dropped back down to reality. You can get most decent AR in 5.56 or even .300BLK for $750 and but you can get an S&W M&P Sport or a Ruger AR for $600, so why bother with a Mini. I think someone mentioned that since the Ruger Mini is more legal to own and friendly in states with heavy gun laws, this is throwing off the price.

However I wonder if Ruger is taking a note from Glock playbook with the Glock 42 .380 being released well before the G43 9mm.

Release the Ruger Mini-.300blk for $750 , and probably their SR piston AR in .300blk for $1,000 (econo line) to $1500 (Standard) ...then a year later release a Ruger DI AR in .300BLK and sell it for $650. At first I found it funny that they did not release the SR in .300blk first. A piston AR with an adjustable gas regulator seems to be perfect for .300 blackout bouncing from supersonic to subsonic and suppressed and un-suppressed. Its almost like they released the Mini-.300 first to throw off the scent of a possible cheap DI AR in .300BLK in the near future.

That said I'm not real interested in a Mini-300blk, however this news makes me think a Gunsite Scout, a SR and AR in .300BLK is in the future. I might consider a Gunsite Scout if Mossberg still doesn't get off their ass to make that MVP Patrol in .300BLK they have been promising for 3 years. If I get that I might as well get a budget companion DI AR in .300blk or at least an upper for my existing AR.

eeb

Post by eeb » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:48 pm

Almost like a sign...

I just bought a box of 300 Blackout, mostly as a collector item from a small ammunition company that I like. But if Ruger could get their pricing structure in line, I might have to snag a Mini and order more ammo. Yeah, the chances of that are pretty much nil. Guess I'll keep waiting on that cheap AR barrel.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:04 pm

Wait, I forget. Could I just pop a .300 upper on an existing lower and I'm good? Same mags and everything? Or no?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:16 pm

Jeriah wrote:Wait, I forget. Could I just pop a .300 upper on an existing lower and I'm good? Same mags and everything? Or no?
Yes. Worst case scenario, you might need to change buffers, but that's not been my experience. Mags are the same, although if you load to Whisper OAL you'll have problems with certain magazines and loads getting in more than ten rounds.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:45 pm

Jeriah wrote:Wait, I forget. Could I just pop a .300 upper on an existing lower and I'm good? Same mags and everything? Or no?
The bolt is the same too. So you will always be able to find a spare bolt for the 300BO if you can always find a spare bolt for your 5.56. Good luck making a simple barrel swap with a mini... :lol:
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:16 pm

Stercutus wrote:
The bolt is the same too. So you will always be able to find a spare bolt for the 300BO if you can always find a spare bolt for your 5.56. Good luck making a simple barrel swap with a mini... :lol:
Huh. Fascinating. So if I SBR one of my ARs, listing .300BO on the form as well as 5.56mm, and a multi-caliber rated suppressor...

Yeah, I don't see this Mini going anywhere. I mean, other than "away."

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:28 pm

Jeriah wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
Huh. Fascinating. So if I SBR one of my ARs, listing .300BO on the form as well as 5.56mm, and a multi-caliber rated suppressor...
I didn't list multiple calibers on mine, and haven't heard a good reason to do so.

Suppressors are easy, and I think you already have a gun with the AAC ratchet mount, so a SDN6 or whatever it's replaced with would be the way to go for that.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:54 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Jeriah wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
I didn't list multiple calibers on mine, and haven't heard a good reason to do so.

Suppressors are easy, and I think you already have a gun with the AAC ratchet mount, so a SDN6 or whatever it's replaced with would be the way to go for that.
Re: SBR forms, what about barrel length? Any issue if you have, say, multiple uppers with different (short) barrel lengths, and swap em out on a single (registered SBR) lower?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:57 pm

Jeriah wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I didn't list multiple calibers on mine, and haven't heard a good reason to do so.

Re: SBR forms, what about barrel length? Any issue if you have, say, multiple uppers with different (short) barrel lengths, and swap em out on a single (registered SBR) lower?
Nope. I have one upper that's married to the gun, and it's the barrel length that's on the form. 7.5" 5.56, only really gets shot with the rimfire kit in it. Ten inch barrel if I'm feeling squirrelly like that, and I'll likely build another Blackout with a nine-ish inch barrel whenever I get to a state where I can suppress again. .458 SOCOM upper if I ever get a big-bore can to go with it...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:57 pm

Jeriah wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
Uh-oh.... and that's how it starts....
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

eeb

Post by eeb » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:16 am

Well, it starts with thinking about getting a Mini14 in 300BLK, and that lasts until you realize how much more versatile an AR is.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:33 am

eeb wrote:Well, it starts with thinking about getting a Mini14 in 300BLK, and that lasts until you realize how much more versatile an AR is.
That's what I say. If it isn't an AR15 or a Glock, then I don't need it. I'm part of the Neighborhood Tactical Response Force (we meet at the local fire hall for training every 3rd Wednesday of the month after BINGO) and we had a young peasant try to join our ranks and he had an AK and we told him to "get lost" because we don't need that lack of modularity amongst our squad. If it isn't modular, then I don't want it.

I had a German Luger WW2 bring-back, traded it on a used SIG 320. Guess what, you can't swap calibers on a Luger. I added money to the deal, because of tactical modularity, bro. I made out on the deal.

I traded my Merkel Safari for a Bushmaster Carbon 15 straight up, because I can't pop the upper off the Merkel and make it shoot .300BLK and 6.8, the finest boolets ever made. Dude I traded it to was a sucker, have fun doing drills with a classic rifle, bro.

I told my girlfriend I didn't like her upper, and she needs to swap to a bigger size. She said humans can't do that, so I dumped her. I need a modular girlfriend. That's why I've managed to stay single for so long.

Seriously though, I want one, but I can't see myself getting one over an AR, as much as it pains me to say it.

eeb

Post by eeb » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:02 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
eeb wrote:Well, it starts with thinking about getting a Mini14 in 300BLK, and that lasts until you realize how much more versatile an AR is.
That's what I say. If it isn't an AR15 or a Glock, then I don't need it. I'm part of the Neighborhood Tactical Response Force (we meet at the local fire hall for training every 3rd Wednesday of the month after BINGO) and we had a young peasant try to join our ranks and he had an AK and we told him to "get lost" because we don't need that lack of modularity amongst our squad. If it isn't modular, then I don't want it.

I had a German Luger WW2 bring-back, traded it on a used SIG 320. Guess what, you can't swap calibers on a Luger. I added money to the deal, because of tactical modularity, bro. I made out on the deal.

I traded my Merkel Safari for a Bushmaster Carbon 15 straight up, because I can't pop the upper off the Merkel and make it shoot .300BLK and 6.8, the finest boolets ever made. Dude I traded it to was a sucker, have fun doing drills with a classic rifle, bro.

I told my girlfriend I didn't like her upper, and she needs to swap to a bigger size. She said humans can't do that, so I dumped her. I need a modular girlfriend. That's why I've managed to stay single for so long.

Seriously though, I want one, but I can't see myself getting one over an AR, as much as it pains me to say it.
Well, I said I was thinking about one. And if they were priced reasonably, with consideration to their inferior versatility, I might actually buy one. But I just can't bring myself to pay so much more for so much less.

As for swapping uppers on your girlfriend, that's a pretty good analogy to swapping barrels on a Mini14. It can be done, but it requires specialized skills and tools. Maybe not swapping your GF's upper, but "enhancing".

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:32 am

eeb wrote: Well, I said I was thinking about one. And if they were priced reasonably, with consideration to their inferior versatility, I might actually buy one. But I just can't bring myself to pay so much more for so much less.

As for swapping uppers on your girlfriend, that's a pretty good analogy to swapping barrels on a Mini14. It can be done, but it requires specialized skills and tools. Maybe not swapping your GF's upper, but "enhancing".
I agree, I love Minis, but not for the price, as was mentioned above. Like Paladin said, for $500 or less, I may be game.

P.S., no one tell my GF I said that. She'd kill me.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:14 pm

Meh...

I think most of y'all know what a huge 300BLK fan boy I've become over the last couple of years...especially once my suppressor tax stamps came in. I'm also a fan of Ruger products, have three 10/22s, 2 SR-22s, and a GSR in .308, but gotta say, I'm not really seeing the niche for this rifle.

If I was to have a second 300BLK platform in my inventory it'd probably be one of these:
http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-s ... /05/71.jpg

^pic too big to link...anyone know how to re-size?

More here: http://www.advanced-armament.com/300-AA ... p_630.html

And here: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/0 ... e-300-blk/

Probably fit some wood furniture to it and have a nice ranch gun. Usually only have time to get one shot off anyway before the coyotes/feral pigs/feral dogs, etc. scatter...
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”