My Tavor review

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TheQuietSurvivalist

My Tavor review

Post by TheQuietSurvivalist » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:57 pm

My Tavor review is up, finally

I dont like doing reviews on anything without wringing it out and using it for awhile. Some dont agree but....anyway, here it is http://quietsurvivalist.com/

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Re: My Tavor review

Post by Beowolf » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:32 pm

Hey, man. I'm sure some would appreciate your post, but I wanted to direct your attention to one of our posting guidelines which you can find posted here. I've bolded the specific point.
On promoting your external blog and website
The internet is a crowded place and many members have their own website or blog. This has led to an increase in people posting a thread that simply links users to an external website.
ZS is not a content aggregation website. It is a discussion forum

No linking to external material on blogs/websites unless that material is actually in the forum post.
Users should not have to visit another website to engage in discussion.

Examples
Not allowed:
Quote:
Hey guys I reviewed this cool knife check it out http://www.knifereviews.com

Allowed:
Quote:
Hey guys I reviewed this knife and the full review is here in the original post.[Full review with pictures and vid etc] I originally posted this to my blog http://www.knifereviews.com

Thanks for your understanding.
Please post the text in a forum post so that others can read the information right here on ZS without having to hop to an external site. Thanks!
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

TheQuietSurvivalist

Post by TheQuietSurvivalist » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:48 pm

ok

The Tavor B16 made by IWI US and imported to their HQ in Harrisburg Pa. I know this because its stamped into the side of the stock at the back. I’m a trained observer. It is the semi auto version of the rifle issued to the IDF in Isreal.

I also bought a Mepro Tru dot because the rifle came in with coupon for 20% off for the purchase and I thought it was a good fit. More later on the sight.

On the front end is a Midwest Industries Extended Keymod Handguard with the flashlight mount inside. I bought this as the Tavor is my first bullpup platform and I wanted my hand as far away from the hot barrel as I could get it, and the flashlight mount just made sense for what I wanted this little rifle for. I mounted the pressure switch with wire ties because I normally wear light gloves and the wire tie let me feel the switch without looking for it. I like that a lot.IMG_0523

It also has the Gearhead works flex swivel Ejection port cover, which gives me another place for a center mounted sling swivel. I like this cover because it also stops the gas leaking from the receiver into my face. I never really had an issue there, but the gas did leak and the cover stops it.

I’ve been carrying the AR platform, and the FAL for around 30 years. I like them both, they are pretty intuitive, i.e. if you can run one you can run the other without much issue. Assembly is different but operation is close enough for using in the dark. So the Tavor is something new to me.

So my first impression out of the box? The pictures don’t do this little rifle justice. Its small. Like smaller than a 14in M4 with stock collapsed small. Its heavier, but not really so you notice when its slung, but all the weight is behind your dominant hand, above the magazine well. Different but not bad. It requires putting the butt to your shoulder then acquiring your target, as opposed to the AR being balanced differently.

You can see in the pictures it sits barely on the arms of an office chair, and how small it really is. The pictures of it being fired are of my daughter and her with an M4 and the Tavor, its obvious how much shorter the Tavor is. Both of these rifles have 16 inch barrels

The standard rails run along the top of the rifle and also a short section runs on the right side of the rifle in the right hand model. This is handy for mounting lights or lasers , but….this rifle is thicker than most with the charging handle mounted on the left and not folding. I like the light mounted inside the forward portion of the hand guard myself due to this one issue. It fits better in the case as well. I covered the side rail with a rubber rail covers I had left from a deployment.

Reliability and Accuracy- I shot this with a little bit of everything since Ive had it, from 55gr to 77gr and it likes the 77 a lot. The 55gr federal white box shot to POA but grouped a bit larger than I expected, but after settling on the 77gr OTM loaded by IWI for the Tavor it shot great and this I think is the 1 in 7 twist of the barrel and the longer bullets.

I achieved best accuracy waiting between rounds to let the barrel cool to avoid any issues heat might contribute. Can’t say heat made a difference, but it shoots a ragged 1/2 inch group at 75 yards when I use this technique and the 77gr OTM.

This rifle is not a target rifle, its not an AR especially the trigger. It is a very reliable rifle. Its close enough to call it a Glock equivalent. If it stops shooting its empty. Its just that easy. It has not once missed a beat. Ratty old steel case to brand new Israeli IWI 77gr OTM it shoots fine. Magazine changes and manual of arms are simple and with practice as easy as an AR platform rifle.

Unlike other popular bullpups, and some AR’s as well, this rifle has worked with every magazine I’ve shoved in it. Every magazine works. The FN2000 has issues with some types but the Tavor uses magazines you already own, a huge plus in my book. Since most people won’t be buying this as an only 1 rifle then magazines matter. I have some 20 rd AR magazine which are older than I am and they worked fine.

The trigger- yes the rumors are true, it has a brutal trigger if you are used to the AR. What do you want, its a conscripts rifle not a precision target rifle. I removed the extra trigger reset spring and put the cross pin back in, the trigger weight came down significantly and has smoothed out as time goes by with me using it.

Issues so far- Well there is really only 1. If you aren’t careful carrying this rifle for real, in harms way, the charging handle can get bumped pulling the bolt out of battery. This will cause a misfire. The hammer will fall, you get a click but no bang.
Tavor bolt- out of battery
Tavor bolt- out of battery
Tavor Bolt- in battery
Tavor Bolt- in battery

If you needed a bang that will be important.

Solution? Always check if the bolt is visible in the ejection port, if it is pull the charging handle back halfway and release it. Only the carrier, a square piece of metal holding the bolt should be visible. Do not ride it forward, it will just compound your problem.

If you carry it with a loaded magazine and chamber empty, no problem, just run the bolt back and release, it will be fine. Since this is how the rifle was designed to be carried it makes sense it has not been a problem as an issued weapon to troops.

Mepro Tru-Dot sight– This sight is a wide angle, zero magnification red dot sight. It shoots where I point and it holds zero well. It has 4 settings for brightness and the only down side is occasionally I will bump the switch and turn it off. It runs on a AA battery, a huge plus. Its a simple single red dot, I zeroed the Tavor at 75 yards because the line of bore is 4 inches below line of sight. It works well with this zero so far. The coyotes have not presented an argument against it anyway. I’ve left the sight turned on for 4 months and the battery so far has not needed replacement.IMG_0526

This is a decent little rifle. It rides in the truck with me, in a soft case when I leave the house. I like to have a rifle all the time, and the Tavor fits that bill very well.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:01 pm

The IWI Tavor is a sweet bullpup rifle no doubt. I have not shot one as of yet but have fondled one at my local Gun Store/Range.

650+ rounds (Various different brands, types, etc.) through my Steyr AUG A3 M1 and not one single malfunction of any kind. AUG's have been in service for almost 40 years and I predict they will continue to be for at least another 15-20 years.
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”