Shotgun barrels, mag capacity, and the Maverick 88.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mikeyboy

Shotgun barrels, mag capacity, and the Maverick 88.

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:20 pm

Just some words of advice for those shopping around for a shotgun. Don't get wrapped up in the " I shouldn't buy an 8 or 9 shot tactical shotgun. I need to buy this type of shotgun (6 shot total capacity/5+1) , if you ever want to convert it to a hunting shotgun". I already have a Remington 870 wingmaster for hunting so for me this was not an issue when shopping for a HD shotgun...but if you ever buy a Home Defense shotgun and worry about converting it to hunting shotgun down the line, here are some things to think about.

A Mossberg 28" Vented Barrel for hunting will run you about $180 to $200. BTW same is usually true with a Remington 870 barrel. Hunting shotgun barrels usually will not fit high capacity shotguns like a 8 shot Mossberg or the newer Remington 870 Tactical with the factory 7 shot tube.

You can get a Mossberg 6 shot mag tube (Brownells) and spring for about $40 if you want to swap out the 8 shot and bring it down to a 6 shot .

Meanwhile you can get a Maverick 88 (budget Mossberg) "All Purpose" or "Field" shotgun with a 28" vented barrel is $220. So for $20 than the price of the barrel you can simply just get another shotgun.

So in the end, tell the gun clerk to pound sand, get what you want for a Home Defense/Tactical shotgun and if you decide you need a hunting shotgun, just covert what you have or buy a cheapo Maverick.

On a side note, if you want a 6 shot home defense shotgun and a hunting shotgun on the cheap this is the way to go. Get the Maverick 88 hunting shotgun, then get the 18.5" barrel, which will run you $85 to $100. There seems to be no difference in price between the Maverick 88 6 shot All Purpose/Field, and 6 shot HD/security shotguns, they all are the same shotgun just with different barrel lengths and they are all $220. Going with the Security shotgun and then getting a hunting barrel will cost you $100 more....unless of course you just want an excuse to buy another shotgun.

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Re: Shotgun barrels, mag capacity, and the Maverick 88.

Post by Hollis » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:37 pm

Mikey, thanks for the good points.

I would say, converting a hunting shotgun to a HD is easier in some cases, especially if it is a 870. 870 have almost unlimited (not actually but seems like it) line of add on, mods etc.
Zombies don't ski.

eeb

Post by eeb » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:00 am

Around here, there seems to be a limitless supply of used Maverick 88's in the $125-$165 range. You could spend that much on a decent budget red dot sight.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:36 am

eeb wrote:Around here, there seems to be a limitless supply of used Maverick 88's in the $125-$165 range. You could spend that much on a decent budget red dot sight.
Same here. Mavericks seem to be what everyone buys around here if they need a quick shotgun to go hunting with. "What you want be to go duck hunting...I don't have a shotgun...Ohh I'll just buy a new Maverick at Dicks, Academy, or where every for $200." They will either keep it, get into hunting, then trade it in for something nicer, or simple hate hunting and trade it in to get some money back. Same with home defense, they would get Maverick because it will get the job done and its cheaper than a pistol or an AR, The will buy the 88, then when they get into shooting and get some money they will use the 88 as trade towards an AR or pistol down the line.

The Maverick 88 is a good shotgun don't get me wrong ...but at the price point they sell them new, once they hit the used market, its almost cheaper to buy your own then to rent a shotgun at a gun range a few times for shits and giggles.

Even that said like Hollis said there are plenty of used Remingtons and Mossbergs hunting shotguns floating around for a reasonable price, and those could be transformed into high cap tactical shotguns for a cheap gun project. At the end of the day, in terms of how much we spend with our firearms hobby upgrading or transforming shotguns are a heck of a lot cheaper than upgrading/changing parts on a 1911 or AR.

Sorry my initial post was more of a venting of dumb logic some big box gun clerk threw at me.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:20 am

As I understand it current Maverick 88s are 6 shot magazines.

They used to come with 8 shot magazines

http://www.slickguns.com/product/maveri ... 1047-21495

And uncommonly, you could get it with the hunting barrel AND the short riot barrel.

Sad, but nowadays in NYC even rifle/shotgun permits get restricted so it's a hassle for every purchase of another gun. A single firearm with several barrels hold some appeal in non-free Amerika.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

mortblanc
Favorite Zombie Movies: All 3 of the Omega Man
Book of Eli
does Quest for Fire count?

Post by mortblanc » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:34 pm

Seems you left out the H&R Pardner Pump, which is a clone of the 870 and uses 870 barrels if you make or buy a spacer. The Pardner comes with 6+1 capacity and uses the extended mag tubes assigned to the 870 and gives one more shot in each configuration. And with the Pardner Pump you can buy extended mag tubes that do not require changing out the barrel.

The Pardner generally sells at about the same price point as the Maverick and has a steel receiver.

I have both and use both as HD and hunting firearms.

I have 4 barrels for the Maverick that I picked up used from E-bay. Two of them with screw in choke capabilities, an 18" riot barrel with a jug choke and a rifled slug barrel. So I wind up with 18/20/24/28 inch barrels and the ability to hunt anything in North America on an investment of less than $300 total.

I am not as much into the super short open choke HD syndrome (I want some choke in my barrels) and consider my 28" barrel handy enough for use on anything approaching down my long hallway in the middle of the night. That is especially true when you have 13 shots on call.

The nice thing about being over the hill is you get to coast the rest of the way.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:25 pm

Or you could go for the even cheaper version, the Norinco/Interstate Arms Hawk 982.

About 200 MSRP but you can halve that if you look around.

Extra capacity in the magazine tube is nice, but what really matters is training to keep the beast fed; being able to tactically load up on the fly. Ammo storage on the gun would be a big help such as a speedfeed stock and/or a sidesaddle. That would also need training to take advantage of the extra rounds.

I think Winchesters can also benefit from extended tubes. Only Ithacas have that stud that holds a magazine cap like Mossbergs that limit capacity to what was built into the gun.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:35 pm

I'm personally of the "just buy a second shotgun" persuasion, myself. I don't hunt, but I do have a shotgun I could hunt with, if I so desired. Here are my observations:

Keep an eye open for a used shotgun. I bought a Mossberg 500 from a gun shop in Chicago for $125, and it came with both an 18" cylinder bore barrel and a 24" (or something) barrel with an adjustable choke on it. That was a great deal, but it's not like winning the lottery or anything. You can find a similar deal if you keep your eye open, shop around, and bide your time.

A new replacement shotgun barrel will cost almost as much as a used shotgun like that. I have another shotgun, a Remington 870, with a 20" barrel with rifle sights. I considered buying an 18" barrel for it but it was looking like $100 for the barrel, plus a shorter magazine tube, and...well, part of my reason for considering it was to get a mag tube that had a bayonet lug adapter built into it...at any rate, it was looking to be an expensive proposition. Buying a shotgun set up the way you want it is the better value, in my opinion, generally.

Changing shotgun barrels is a pain (not a big pain, but annoying, like a papercut) once you've clamped a flashlight mount to your barrel and mag tube. You've got to remove the light, then change the barrel. I'd rather just have a second shotgun for hunting. However, having paid $125 for a gun with both barrels, I can't say I have any regrets on that account.

It may be illegal to have a flashlight on a hunting shotgun in some areas. I know many places have laws against using light to hunt at night, depending on what you're after. Obviously not an issue for shooting hogs in Texas; I'm pretty sure you could light 'em up with an AC-130 and fish and game would give you a high five. But for deer, turkey, etc, even having a light on your gun might be frowned upon. A QD mount might be the answer...or a separate shotgun.

just_me

Post by just_me » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:03 pm

Jeriah wrote:I'm personally of the "just buy a second shotgun" persuasion, myself. I don't hunt, but I do have a shotgun I could hunt with, if I so desired. Here are my observations:

Keep an eye open for a used shotgun. I bought a Mossberg 500 from a gun shop in Chicago for $125, and it came with both an 18" cylinder bore barrel and a 24" (or something) barrel with an adjustable choke on it. That was a great deal, but it's not like winning the lottery or anything. You can find a similar deal if you keep your eye open, shop around, and bide your time.

A new replacement shotgun barrel will cost almost as much as a used shotgun like that. I have another shotgun, a Remington 870, with a 20" barrel with rifle sights. I considered buying an 18" barrel for it but it was looking like $100 for the barrel, plus a shorter magazine tube, and...well, part of my reason for considering it was to get a mag tube that had a bayonet lug adapter built into it...at any rate, it was looking to be an expensive proposition. Buying a shotgun set up the way you want it is the better value, in my opinion, generally.

Changing shotgun barrels is a pain (not a big pain, but annoying, like a papercut) once you've clamped a flashlight mount to your barrel and mag tube. You've got to remove the light, then change the barrel. I'd rather just have a second shotgun for hunting. However, having paid $125 for a gun with both barrels, I can't say I have any regrets on that account.

It may be illegal to have a flashlight on a hunting shotgun in some areas. I know many places have laws against using light to hunt at night, depending on what you're after. Obviously not an issue for shooting hogs in Texas; I'm pretty sure you could light 'em up with an AC-130 and fish and game would give you a high five. But for deer, turkey, etc, even having a light on your gun might be frowned upon. A QD mount might be the answer...or a separate shotgun.
Taking out Hogs with an AC-130; now that would be something. LMFAO [emoji23]

eeb

Post by eeb » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:41 pm

just_me wrote: Taking out Hogs with an AC-130; now that would be something. LMFAO [emoji23]
Quick! Somebody call Ted Nugent!
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:19 am

I like cheap shotguns. I've got a 8 shot maverick 88. Its my HD gun so if I ever have to use it and they take it off to ballistics, its not expensive to replace. I'm going to pick up either an H&R pardner pump for hunting/skeet because my old high school buddy has one and it works. I wont hunt for fowl but probably every other year or so and skeet can get expensive so that'll be maybe once or twice a year, so I don't need to spend a whole lot of dough on it when I'm not making it a fighting gun. I just need one that works when I pull the trigger.

By them being cheap, if they get dropped, kicked, thrown, or beat in training or hunting or what ever I'm not worried, a bit of black marker and some oil/grease and I'm good. I'm not upset versus say a nice over/under or something.

So yeah, buy a second shotty. They are cheap enough for sure.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Cavediver

Post by Cavediver » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:58 pm

Too funny.
I recently went through a similar scenario; I have a Mossberg 500 with a 24" slug barrel, and wanted a longer barrel with a choke for shooting some clays. I threw out a few low ebay bids for one, and then decided I would just go get the Maverick.
Damned if I didn't win a barrel for under $100 shipped.

Good thing I hadn't made it Academy :lol:

Kind of a bummer though, passing on the opportunity to pick up a new firearm :cry:

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:23 pm

jor-el wrote:Or you could go for the even cheaper version, the Norinco/Interstate Arms Hawk 982. About 200 MSRP but you can halve that if you look around.
I've got a lady friend who runs a gun shop, and I was helping her do inventory. She's got a couple of those in stock. They are HORRID in terms of fit and finish. The action feels super gritty. The plastic-to-metal fit is very crude. Metal finish is nasty. All around, awful-looking weapons.

However, I don't doubt that they work, and you're right, the price is low. I'd say if you can find one used you might get it for $100. But then, I paid $125 for my Mossberg 500, used, and it runs great. I'd rather have a used Mossy or Remmy than a new Hawk, personally. And I do (one of each).
Extra capacity in the magazine tube is nice, but what really matters is training to keep the beast fed; being able to tactically load up on the fly. Ammo storage on the gun would be a big help such as a speedfeed stock and/or a sidesaddle. That would also need training to take advantage of the extra rounds.
Dude. Shotgun cards. You put Velcro on your receiver and stick the cards on as needed. Peel 'em off when empty and slap on new ones. Two full shotgun cards fit perfectly in a 3x30 AR mag pouch so you don't even need to change rigs.

I'll be taking FrontSight's shotgun class next month so hopefully I'll learn the cool guy way to do the reloads.

Abuhin

Post by Abuhin » Wed May 20, 2015 5:52 am

So apparently someone me a kit to convert a Mossberg or Maverick into a box/drum magazine-fed tacticool shotty. :lol:

I suppose if it worked, it would be an interesting way to convert a hunting gun to defense. If you had the money, and the time to do the converting.

Disclaimer: For anonymity and security's sake, this poster may alter, omit, or fabricate details of his personal life and circumstances.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”