AR-15 vs AR-10?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Bonsoir

AR-15 vs AR-10?

Post by Bonsoir » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:12 am

I have had this nagging at the back of my mind for months now. I plan to build an AR platform rifle from an 80 percent lower reciever. My main question is whether i should get an AR-15 or an AR-10. I HATE the 5.56 round (for reasons i do not wish to explain here) and the 7.62 seems to be a much better round. However, i have seen AR-15 uppers in many calibers (50 BMG anyone?) But the AR-10 seems to only come in one caliber. So what do you guys think? (Also any tips on building from an 80 percent lower would be appreciated)

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Re: AR-15 vs AR-10?

Post by Neptune Glory » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:19 am

With the limited research I've done so far, suggest looking into the S&W M&P 10.

Best wishes!
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

ShooterMike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead - Zack Snyder version
The Professionals
The Wild Bunch
Sinners & Saints

Post by ShooterMike » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:29 am

Bonsoir wrote:...But the AR-10 seems to only come in one caliber...
This part is not true, just FYI. You can put together an AR10 in any of the calibers that are based on the .308 case head and length. So .243, .260, 7mm-08 or .338 Federal are all off-the-shelf options. You just have to obtain the barrel chambered on the caliber of your choice. The bolt and magazines will work fine with any of those listed, and probably quite a few I can't think of now.

Or another attractive option (at least to me) is an AR15 in 6.8 SPC.

Bonsoir

Post by Bonsoir » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Thanks for the tips on AR-10 uppers, ShooterMike! I will have to look into that. Anyway, I know this is probably a little late to say this, but does anyone know of cheap (i.e. under $250) uppers? I am on a VERY tight budget.

ShooterMike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead - Zack Snyder version
The Professionals
The Wild Bunch
Sinners & Saints

Post by ShooterMike » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:25 pm

You mean like this?
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... eiver.html

And this is so good I may even grab one.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... eiver.html

I personally think this is a pretty good deal too.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... andle.html

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:41 pm

If I had to do over again I 'd just get an Ar-15 in 6.5 Grendel. You get the lighter AR-15 package and outstanding performance on par with 7.62X51. Of course when I bought my Ar-10s there was no such round available for the Ar-15. Today there is so... unless you want a heavier rifle for some reason...
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:15 pm

Unless you plan on being a one-man band, if there's any scenario where you actually NEED to use your firearm for self-defense, commonality and of rounds and magazines, and interoperability of weapons, might factor more heavily into your calculations. In that case the two logical options would seem to be AR-15 or AK-47 pattern rifles, each of which has its own merits and shortcomings. Although I can see why going the 6.5mm route would be an attractive option in terms of superior range/stopping power.

joker52186

Post by joker52186 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:40 am

Ar10

love peace and chicken grease

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:30 am

80% Lower??? Standard AR15. It's more standardized and less room for error. There's also better templates and jigs I'm sure. There are plenty other options in 15 flavor than 5.56... you got 6.8, 300BLK, 450, 458, 50, etc etc etc
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:39 am

7.62N ARs have never really been standardized so they aren't anywhere close to being as, 'plug and play' as a 5.56 AR. Quality and reliability is all across the board, and at this point there are only a few makes I would consider purchasing (and they ain't cheap).
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:46 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:80% Lower??? Standard AR15. It's more standardized and less room for error. There's also better templates and jigs I'm sure. There are plenty other options in 15 flavor than 5.56... you got 6.8, 300BLK, 450, 458, 50, etc etc etc

80% is a home brew kit, no paper work.

There are even more, 7.62 x 39, 6,5 Grendal (worth looking into), 9mm etc.

The more exotic the round the greater the cost and the harder to find.

AR10s is like the big brother to the AR15. Advantage is the .308 is not a exotic round. disadvantages as Dave_M says.

I have A Armalite AR-10, there are a bunch out there now. I have been thinning my heard and sold off my M1A1 (to a really good friend) and kept the AR-10.

AR-10 is heavier than the AR-15 and so is the ammo, that can mean carrying less ammo in case of a Bug Out situation where one is walking.
Zombies don't ski.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:42 am

Three problem with the AR10 is that the ones I'd trust off the shelf are on par with a SCAR for money. I'm sure I'll end up playing with one at some point, and I'll be sure to share my frustrations. Just a sampler, look at the mag compatibility issue:

FN FAL metric magazines: 

Rock River LAR-8 
Bushmaster BAR-10 (discontinued)(inferred) 
Armalite AR-10B (modified) 
Kel-Tec RFB 
FN FAL (and copies) 
L1A1 (and copies) 

L1A1 magazines: 

Rock River LAR-8 
Bushmaster BAR-10 (discontinued) 
L1A1 (and copies) 
BREN .308" 

Thermold FAL: 

Rock River LAR-8 
Bushmaster BAR-10 (discontinued) 
FN SCAR-H (modified) 
L1A1 (and copies) 
BREN .308" (inferred) 
FN FAL (and copies) 
Kel-Tec RFB (inferred) 

Moses Mag metric: 

Rock River LAR-8 (modified) 
Bushmaster BAR-10 (discontinued)(modified)(inferred) 
Kel-Tec RFB (modified) 
FN FAL (and copies) 
L1A1 (and copies) 
SCAR-H (modified) 

Moses SCAR (to be released): 

FN SCAR-H 

Moses LAR-8 (to be released): 

Rock River LAR-8 
Bushmaster BAR-10 (discontinued)(inferred) 
FN SCAR-H (modified)(inferred) 
L1A1 (and copies)(inferred) 
BREN .308" (inferred) 
FN FAL (and copies)(modified)(inferred) 
Kel-Tec RFB (modified)(inferred) 

M-14: 

M-14 
M-1A 
Mossberg MVP .308" 

AR-10B Type 1: 

Armalite AR-10B 
M-14 
M-1A 
Mossberg MVP .308"(inferred) 

AR-10B Gen 2: 

Armalite AR-10B 
Noveske N6 (discontinued) 
Aero Precision (discontinued) 

H&K G-3: 

H&K G3/91 (and copies) 
Cobb Mfg MCR-200 (discontinued) 
Bushmaster MRC (discontinued) 
CMMG (discontinued) 

FN SCAR-H: 

FN SCAR-H 

H&K 417: 

H&K 417 

Original AR-10 (waffle type, also Magpul, et al): 

Armalite AR-10 (original) 
Knight's SR-25 
DPMS (Gen 1 & 2) 
Bushmaster .308" ORC 
Armalite AR-10A 
Mossberg MVP .308" 
Colt LE 901 
Handl Defense lower for the FN SCAR-H 
most other AR .308" platforms on the market 

Coypastad from arfcom. There's also different receiver dimensions, a few different bolt/bcg types, barrel nuts...blame Armalite, IMO.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:48 am

I have a ridiculously heavy Armalite AR-10t. It is a bit ponderous but a joy to accurately shoot at longer ranges. I could see it being incredibly useful in certain situations. I also have a AR-15 with an 11.5 inch barrel that is extremely light and manageable (Almost concealable if you know what I mean), adequately accurate and very fast on target. I could also see it being useful in certain (Maybe more) situations.

One is a dainty little chisel and the other is a sledge hammer. They are both good at what they do and only so-so at what the other can do. The obvious answer to this question is both.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:20 am

Dabster wrote:I have a ridiculously heavy Armalite AR-10t. It is a bit ponderous but a joy to accurately shoot at longer ranges. I could see it being incredibly useful in certain situations. I also have a AR-15 with an 11.5 inch barrel that is extremely light and manageable (Almost concealable if you know what I mean), adequately accurate and very fast on target. I could also see it being useful in certain (Maybe more) situations.

One is a dainty little chisel and the other is a sledge hammer. They are both good at what they do and only so-so at what the other can do. The obvious answer to this question is both.
Or you know, an 11.5" 7.62N :rofl:

But seriously, with the right ammo I'd run a 13.5" or 14.7" 7.62N.
Dave Merrill

Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:44 am

Dave_M wrote:
Dabster wrote:I have a ridiculously heavy Armalite AR-10t. It is a bit ponderous but a joy to accurately shoot at longer ranges. I could see it being incredibly useful in certain situations. I also have a AR-15 with an 11.5 inch barrel that is extremely light and manageable (Almost concealable if you know what I mean), adequately accurate and very fast on target. I could also see it being useful in certain (Maybe more) situations.

Or you know, an 11.5" 7.62N :rofl:

But seriously, with the right ammo I'd run a 13.5" or 14.7" 7.62N.
I was sort of thinking those would come up... My first concern is that I think 7.62x51 loses a lot when the barrel is less than 16". Second, I'd be concerned that it seemed I was trying to compensate for something. :clownshoes:
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:22 pm

Dabster wrote:
I was sort of thinking those would come up... My first concern is that I think 7.62x51 loses a lot when the barrel is less than 16". Second, I'd be concerned that it seemed I was trying to compensate for something. :clownshoes:

Thanks for the chuckle (on compensaters--SP?). My thoughts are, no one single firearm does it all, there are pros and cons or compromises to what one gets.

Think of it as a encouragement to buy more guns. :)
Zombies don't ski.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:57 pm

Hollis wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:80% Lower??? Standard AR15. It's more standardized and less room for error. There's also better templates and jigs I'm sure. There are plenty other options in 15 flavor than 5.56... you got 6.8, 300BLK, 450, 458, 50, etc etc etc

80% is a home brew kit, no paper work.
Yes, I am aware, I guess I wrote that oddly. What I meant is that since he's doing an 80% lower, its best in my opinion to go AR15 since it is more common and standard. Trying to use jigs and templates on a nonstandard AR10 lower may cause issues. But I have no experience, just a wild guess
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:19 pm

For what it costs, if you want a .308 semi-auto, the AR-10 (whatever that means, they're all so different) probably isn't the right choice.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Hollis

Post by Hollis » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:25 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Yes, I am aware, I guess I wrote that oddly. What I meant is that since he's doing an 80% lower, its best in my opinion to go AR15 since it is more common and standard. Trying to use jigs and templates on a nonstandard AR10 lower may cause issues. But I have no experience, just a wild guess

IMHO, to do a single build it is a costy operation. Taps, drills, jigs, etc. Cool to do. I have built a number of my own firearms, fun to do, I avoided a AR build because cost to build just one.
Zombies don't ski.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:49 pm

LJ126 wrote:For what it costs, if you want a .308 semi-auto, the AR-10 (whatever that means, they're all so different) probably isn't the right choice.
Why?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:18 pm

For precisely the reasons outlined. Reliability in most models is spotty, unless you spend quite a bit. There are reliable .308/7.62NATO rifles that are durable, have favorable shooting characteristics, long/proven military histories, and are more cost effective (for now) than a trustworthy "AR-10."

Sure would be nice to drop a week's pay and get a trustworthy .308 Armalite type rifle but for now, it's a gamble. I've got some positive experience with DPMS .308's, but some bad too.

From my (admittedly fairly limited) experience, a PTR-91 or M1A is a better choice than a comparably priced AR-10, at least as far as reliable function out of the box is concerned.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:06 am

For me, right now... The 7.62N AR that I want is only a couple hundo less than a SCAR-H. Which complicates,things considerably.
Dave Merrill

Hollis

Post by Hollis » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:47 am

LJ126 wrote:For precisely the reasons outlined. Reliability in most models is spotty, unless you spend quite a bit. There are reliable .308/7.62NATO rifles that are durable, have favorable shooting characteristics, long/proven military histories, and are more cost effective (for now) than a trustworthy "AR-10."

Sure would be nice to drop a week's pay and get a trustworthy .308 Armalite type rifle but for now, it's a gamble. I've got some positive experience with DPMS .308's, but some bad too.

From my (admittedly fairly limited) experience, a PTR-91 or M1A is a better choice than a comparably priced AR-10, at least as far as reliable function out of the box is concerned.
Not sure which ones you are talking about. I have been happy with my AR-10.

I also had 2 G3s, I have a L1A1 and sold my M1A1 to a friend. There are some choices/alternatives out there. I am a big fan of the M1A1, the M14 was one of my T/Oed weapons.
Zombies don't ski.

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:35 pm

Dave_M wrote:For me, right now... The 7.62N AR that I want is only a couple hundo less than a SCAR-H. Which complicates,things considerably.
What are you looking at? What are the AR-.308s you consider reliable enough to trust? I'm sure most folks on here would value your opinion, given your areas of expertise and rifles you see running through classes.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”