A rifle/carbine mounted weapon light thread

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:52 pm

All,

I searched back more than two years and except for a "Poor man's weapon light" thread haven't found a thread dedicated to the illumination of long arms. If I missed it or if this is somehow redundant/yesterday's news/something that will make someone angry... A million apologies.

I recently got a new upper for my home-defense AR-15. It looks pretty spiffy, I will post pics soon. The old upper had a MOE forearm with an IWC Dropwing light mount that held my 1.03 inch flashlight tucked in perfectly at 10:30. The new upper has a [dramatic music] quad-rail, [\dramatic music] specifically a Spike's BAR2. Of course my old light mount won't work...

What should I get? The choices aren't as good as I was expecting.

Here's what I've found after about a week of intensive research...

1. My fave at the moment is the VTAC. Can't beat the price, Kyle Lamb is awesome and there are some favorable reviews. But... It seems like it may extend up further than I'd like and not tuck in (be as close to the barrel). There are also complaints that the rail locking piece looks funny/sloppy.

2. The IWC/HSP Thorntail. A bit more expensive but all metal and it appears to tuck in but does it force the light to be forward of the mount? This could be very AFG-unfriendly on a SBR.

3. The Magpul light mount. Great price and it -oh so- appeals to my inner Magpul fan Boi...However, it looks HUGE and appears to push the light unnecessarily far from the barrel.

So... Anyone have a thought to share regarding these choices or something else?

Thanks in advance,
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: A rifle/carbine mounted weapon light thread

Post by RickOShea » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:06 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:01 am

Thanks, Rick!

I don't know why I didn't think of Vltor myself. Never had one but I've heard of them.

The Gearshift is nice looking but won't fit my light.

These led me to Elzetta (Elzetta ZRXB Tactical Flashlight Mount, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00APNKMOG/re ... 8ub1NVVY5D). This one looks promising -the limited reviews are all quite positive.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:44 am

Dabster wrote:The Gearshift is nice looking but won't fit my light.
If you're light is 1.03 inch, then the Gear Sector G2 would work. I have Surefire G2 lights in mine, and they're supposed to be between 1.02 and 1.03 inch.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

ShooterMike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead - Zack Snyder version
The Professionals
The Wild Bunch
Sinners & Saints

Post by ShooterMike » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:03 am

I'm a big fan of the Inforce WML, both the original and the newer 500 lumen versions. I like them mounted at 12 o'clock, in front of the front sight. Totally ambidextrous as it can be operated equally well with the thumb of right or left hand on the hand guard.

Of course, it doesn't work that way if you have a hand guard that ends behind a fixed front sight...

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:18 am

ShooterMike wrote:I'm a big fan of the Inforce WML, both the original and the newer 500 lumen versions. I like them mounted at 12 o'clock, in front of the front sight. Totally ambidextrous as it can be operated equally well with the thumb of right or left hand on the hand guard.

Of course, it doesn't work that way if you have a hand guard that ends behind a fixed front sight...
Dabster, this is the one I couldn't remember the name of Saturday.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:20 am

TLR1, if you can catch one on sale for under $80 you probably won't be able to do better.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

hotlead

Post by hotlead » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:26 am

I have an Elzetta mount on my M&P-15, I dig it, keeps the rifle light and skinny.

The only thing is that you can't fix bayonets anymore, there are those that might say ID'ing your target is more important than stabbing it with your rifle, to those poor misinformed souls I say......Son, I am disappoint.
"your 9mm might expand when it hits the target, but my .45 sure as hell won't shrink"- Arguing with my Brother about pistol calibers.

"You can never have too many guns, yo-yos, or crayons"- Mrs. Hotlead speaking to my Nephew.

"If you don't let your farts out, you'll get bad breath"- Talking to my Neice at a campfire

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:56 pm

Bump.
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:31 pm

I found this mount both cheap (less than $8 here) and useful.

http://www.amazon.com/TACTICAL-JETBeam- ... NEADKJBTSE

The offset allows you mount it anywhere and keep it out of the sight line. It holds any 1 inch light.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:33 pm

RickOShea wrote:Image

I have both and think you can't go wrong with either. Vltor: easier to take on and off, Gear sector: lighter, more elegant.

I have a VTAC and I don't much care for it. it is cheap and it works but it is bulky and more fragile then I'd like. Also more work to take on and off then most mounts.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:07 pm

Thanks to all for your input. After extensive internet and soul searching, I went with the Elzetta ZRX (http://www.amazon.com/Elzetta-ZRXB-Tact ... ds=elzetta).

It isn't fancy but it is light weight, small enough and rugged enough for my purposes. Installing it only took about three minutes. It puts my light exactly where I want it and it doesn't interfere with my grip.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:35 pm

Dabster wrote:Thanks to all for your input. After extensive internet and soul searching, I went with the Elzetta ZRX (http://www.amazon.com/Elzetta-ZRXB-Tact ... ds=elzetta).

It isn't fancy but it is light weight, small enough and rugged enough for my purposes. Installing it only took about three minutes. It puts my light exactly where I want it and it doesn't interfere with my grip.

now I'm curious, can you post a pic looking down the muzzle? I'd like to see how close it keeps the light to the bore.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:10 pm

Last edited by Bearcat on Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:49 am

RonnyRonin wrote:
Dabster wrote:Thanks to all for your input. After extensive internet and soul searching, I went with the Elzetta ZRX (http://www.amazon.com/Elzetta-ZRXB-Tact ... ds=elzetta).

now I'm curious, can you post a pic looking down the muzzle? I'd like to see how close it keeps the light to the bore.
About half an inch...

From underneath...

From the side...

From the front (apologies for the bad pic. Taking this was harder than I expected).

hotlead

Post by hotlead » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:01 am

Bearcat wrote:I had the VTAC and hated it because I prefer to use the thumb over grip right against the FSB. Even if I'm not using the thumb over, I still like my hand at the end of the hand guard. Every weapon light mount I've tried that mounts on the side or hangs over the top has interfered with my grip. I have one of these elzettas on my training and duty AR. I love it. It doesn't get in the way of my hand and is easy to manipulate. The only con I've come across is the potential for the sling loop to knock into the on/off button, flashing it on in a moment that you may not want to, but this can be remedied by removing the sling mount.

....or moving the light forward in the mount, but then you have to stick your finger or thumb in there to activate the light.
"your 9mm might expand when it hits the target, but my .45 sure as hell won't shrink"- Arguing with my Brother about pistol calibers.

"You can never have too many guns, yo-yos, or crayons"- Mrs. Hotlead speaking to my Nephew.

"If you don't let your farts out, you'll get bad breath"- Talking to my Neice at a campfire

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:21 am

Dabster wrote:
RonnyRonin wrote:

About half an inch...

]
Ok...anyway you could post a pic of your whole rifle and give specs? I'm interested in finding out what the rail looks like
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:22 pm

I personally don't use the Inforce. Because reasons

Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:02 am

Dave_M wrote:I personally don't use the Inforce. Because reasons

Ouch, the bodies made of plastic?
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:38 am

Unorthodox wrote:
Dave_M wrote:I personally don't use the Inforce. Because reasons

Ouch, the bodies made of plastic?
Yup, and everything else.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:11 pm

saw that on Sagedynamic's or somebody's instagram the other day. Yikes.

I like the form factor and small foot print. Too bad. :words:
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:46 pm

When I know I'm going to be outdoors, like hog/varmint hunting, I will switch out to the Streamlight TLR1-HPL. It's a super tight beam and will light up targets very clearly out past 100m at night. It's got a monster bezel/reflector compared to others, but that's what gives it the tight throw out at distances that others won't. When we're out hunting, folks make fun of the "search light" on my rifle, up until they start shooting at MY TARGETS that I'M lighting up. Indoors it's not as good as a regular TLR1, that will light up the entire room. It'll produce a nice neat circle on the wall that will reflect back into the room, so it works, just not as well.
http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/produc ... ml?pid=313

I leave a normal TLR1 on my rifle and handgun all of the other times.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:25 pm

RickOShea wrote:Image

With that top photo, does the button actually engage with the tailcap restricted in the clamp like that?
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:38 pm

0122358 wrote:
Dabster wrote:
RonnyRonin wrote:

About half an inch...

]
Ok...anyway you could post a pic of your whole rifle and give specs? I'm interested in finding out what the rail looks like
Gladly...

ImageImage

It's 100% Spike's Tactical. ETA: my phone whacked the colors... It is FDE.

Spike's Tactical 11.5", 1:7 Twist, Mil-spec Barrel
M4 Barrel Profile, Carbine Length Gas System
Barrel Steel is Certified MIL-B-11595E
* Chromoly Vanadium Alloy
* Raw Barrel Steel is Magnetic Particle Inspected
* Barrels are Stress Relieved
* Mil-Spec M4 Barrel Extension with 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Finish
* 1.2.2.2 MIL-STD-171 Hard Chrome Chamber
* 1.2.2.2 MIL-STD-171 Hard Chrome Bore
* 5.56mm Nato chamber
* All Chambers are Individually Checked for Head Spacing Before and After Plating
* All Barrels are Individually High Pressure Tested (HPT) and then Individually Magnetic Particle Inspected (MPI)
ST Micro Gas Block, .750" Diameter Gas Seat
Spike's Tactical Mil-spec M16 Bolt Carrier Group
ST BAR Rail System
* CNC Machined from 6061 Extrusion with MIL-A-8625F Type III Class 2 Hardcoat Anodized Finish
* Steel ST BAR Barrel Nut with 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Coating
* Wide Body design accommodates counter sunk suppressor bodies up to 1.6" in diameter

I got my stamp about six weeks ago. Before that I had a 14.5 inch barrel pinned to 16 inches. Without the break and a significant reduction in front, it has gone from no recoil to a little bit of recoil.

The reduction in length and weight, in addition to making it adorable, make it very light and maneuverable.

The Elzetta light combined with the Magpul AFG make it really comfortable to hold and shoot.
Last edited by Dabster on Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”