Steyr AUG A3 M1 Yippee ki yay!

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Steyr AUG A3 M1 Yippee ki yay!

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:32 pm

Well after a very long wait (over 25 years) I finally went out and bought a Steyr AUG A3 M1 with OD Green stock.

I took some flak from some friends for not just building an AR-15, getting an IWI Tavor, or buying a quality made AK-47 and you know what?
I am so glad I got the rifle that I wanted to get instead and I have no regrets. Their advice was sound but I know that if I would have done what they suggested I would have regretted not getting the Steyr (One of my Dream Rifles).

I ordered one more 30 round magazine and one 42 round magazine for it already and plan on ordering at least four more 30 round mags for it soon.

I plan on someday getting a Trijicon ACOG for it and a 20" Barrel. Currently I have the standard 16" inch barrel (which is my first choice for a barrel anyway) and a pretty decent AIM 4X32 red/green illuminated scope.

So what are your thoughts should I have taken my friend's advice or listened to my inner voice?

The rifle has an MSRP of $2100 and I got mine for $1800 plus tax.
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

woodsghost

Re: Steyr AUG A3 M1 Yippee ki yay!

Post by woodsghost » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:54 pm

I think you did fine. Especially if you have the money.

Is this a fun gun or a SHTF gun? For a fun gun I say you did perfect! For a SHTF gun, I'd say you will be fine for anything actually likely to come down the pipes.

If it bothers you later and you suddenly wonder if the AUG is the perfect rifle, then buy an AR or an AK. But in the mean time, put together your rife and optic and have fun! Maybe take some classes with it. Wring it out. See how you like it.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:55 am

So what are your thoughts should I have taken my friend's advice or listened to my inner voice?
both, get them all. (but checking my arms room the Steyr is the only one I don't have)
for YOUR guns, always listen to your inner voice.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:45 am

The Steyr's are awesome. Don't regret your decision.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:11 am

pictures or it didnt happen
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

eeb

Post by eeb » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:43 pm

From what you're saying, I think it sounds like your inner voice is telling you to get an AR to go with your AUG. Definitely needed to get the AUG first, now start collecting AR parts while they're still cheap.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:46 pm

ZomCon Sargeant wrote:Well after a very long wait (over 25 years) I finally went out and bought a Steyr AUG A3 M1 with OD Green stock.
Over 25 years...what made you want a Steyr AUG around 25 to 30 years ago??

Commando -1985

Running Man - 1987

Die Hard - 1988

The Package - 1989

La Femme Nikita - 1990

And those were just the popular movies in that 5 year span. Needless to say I'm in my mid 40's and being in late teens during that timeframe I too always wanted an Steyr AUG and I am happy, and a bit jealous you got yours. :clap:

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:44 pm

Give you one guess, Mr Falcon....the title says "yippy ki yay".
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:53 pm

olbaid_dratsab wrote:Give you one guess, Mr Falcon....the title says "yippy ki yay".
Yep! That was what caught my attention back when I was a kid, seeing it in the film "Die Hard" I can not lie. As the years went on and on I researched more about the rifle and the more time went by the more I knew I had to have one someday.

The only reason I was able to purchase one is because I saved up and also got a nice bonus check. Also I have very little to no debt which is one of the first things one should do if prepping IMO. Plus having the wife's blessing makes it a little less painless when it was something I was going to do regardless :lol:

I still plan on someday building an AR-15 no doubt. My good friend just finished building his 2nd AR and it is awesome!

I am not regretting buying it one bit. It is my SHTF rifle. I love how if I had too I can break it down by taking the barrel off in seconds and stowing it away in my BOB if need be. I have just enough room to do that. I can store my .223/5.56 snake bore, gun lube, solvent, and patches inside of the stock which also saves some room in my BOB.

I just got one more 30 round and a 42 round Steyr factory magazine the other day for it.

Pics to come soon.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:09 pm

Range report

Optic: AIM 4X32 Scope (saving up for something better)

100 rounds fired of Fiocchi .223 FMJ 55 gr.
100 rounds fired of Fiocchi .223 VMAX 55 gr.
20 rounds of Winchester White Box 5.56 FMJ 55 gr.

FTF: 0
FTE: 0

Accuracy: 1/2 inch groups (Rested) at 60ft (Maximum range at indoor firing range) and 1/2 - 1 inch groups Standing at 60ft.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:00 pm

We'reWolf wrote:pictures or it didnt happen
Here is a pic

426hemicuda

Post by 426hemicuda » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:12 am

Very nice looking rifle. How's the trigger pull on it? I've heard hit or miss things about the trigger pull on most bullpup designs, but I don't have any first hand experience with one. I've occasionally thought about picking up an AUG (for pretty much the same reasons; Die Hard is awesome), but I feel like if I did, I'd want one of the older imported ones with the built in 1.5x scope, rather than the picatinny rail. But that's just my taste, I'm a stickler for little aesthetic details on guns I'm buying for fun, rather than for practical purposes.

Bonus pic of Karl from Die Hard for the thread:
"No one kills him but me."
doc66 wrote: I'm the sick bastard that has firearms laying around the house. Does that count?
farblue wrote:Damn lazy firearms. Wish I could at least teach mine to clean themselves.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:15 pm

426hemicuda wrote:Very nice looking rifle. How's the trigger pull on it? I've heard hit or miss things about the trigger pull on most bullpup designs, but I don't have any first hand experience with one. I've occasionally thought about picking up an AUG (for pretty much the same reasons; Die Hard is awesome), but I feel like if I did, I'd want one of the older imported ones with the built in 1.5x scope, rather than the picatinny rail. But that's just my taste, I'm a stickler for little aesthetic details on guns I'm buying for fun, rather than for practical purposes.

Bonus pic of Karl from Die Hard for the thread:
"No one kills him but me."
Thank you!

The trigger pull isn't good but it isn't bad either IMO. As far as the older AUG A1 models they are hard to find and when you do find them they usually cost somewhere around $3000 depedning on condition.

The newer AUG A3 M1 has four varients as far as rails and scopes. The new scopes resemble the older A1 Scopes except that the have three pic rails, one a top and one on each side. Instead of just a ring like the older A1 they have the ring with crosshair reticle inside the ring.

The four different rails are described as follows.
1. Low Short Rail
2. High Long Rail
3. 1X Power Scope
4. 3X Power Scope

You can get them with Black, OD Green, or MUDD colored stocks.

Mine is a AUG A3 M1 OD Green with High Long Rail. I can opt to get the 1X or 3X scope in the future if I wish to do so. However I will most likely get an 18" or 20" inch barrel and just go with a TrijiCon ACOG or Vortex Raptor scope in the future.

http://www.nrablog.com/post/2014/10/20/ ... tform.aspx

Here is one of the only reviews on YouTube I could find of the New M1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DfOrisvA-k

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Sun May 31, 2015 4:51 pm

So this last Friday I went ahead and purchased a Vortex Crossfire II 1-4X24mm V-Brite Scope for my AUG. I have not had the chance to go and sight it in as of yet (Family Events to attend). I was going to wait until the release of the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6X24mm AR BDC that should hit shelves in the next couple of months, However I thought I would save $150 to spend on a couple more mags and practice ammo and figured if the outbreak occurs I will not have any sights/optics for my MBR (As my cheap pathetic AIM Sports scope's reticle went crooked :(

Without having tested the scope I can say that I really like the Illuminated V-Brite Reticle. On 1x power with the Illuminated Red Dot on it's highest setting it is the same as a Red Dot Sight. Or zoomed out to 4x power it makes for a very nice 100-200 yard optic.

Vortex is a great company with very affordable optics for the $. All of their Optics are backed with a Unlimited Unconditional No Questions Asked VIP 100% Lifetime Warranty. And I believe all of their optics are Fog-proof, Shock-proof, and Water-proof.

I plan on going to my local outdoor range very soon and sighting in my rifle and will report back.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:39 am

Steyr and a Walther?? Lemme guess, you drive a Mercedes as well? Perhaps a Volkswagen even??
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:54 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:Steyr and a Walther?? Lemme guess, you drive a Mercedes as well? Perhaps a Volkswagen even??
LOL! No I drive a Dodge and our other vehicle is a Subaru Legacy. I don't care too much where a product is made just so long as it is quality. I will try and buy American over other products just so long as the quality is there. I also own a Ruger Mini-30, Ruger 10/22, IWI/Magnum Research Baby Eagle II.

I have owned Smith & Wesson M&P9c, HK45, Sig Pro 2022, Beretta 92fs, Weatherby Vanguard, Winchester 94, Remington 870, etc.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:35 pm

Just an update.

Over 1200 rounds now through my AUG and no malfunctions of any kind using various brands, types and gr. of ammunition. :clap:

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:17 pm

ZomCon Sargeant wrote:Just an update.

Over 1200 rounds now through my AUG and no malfunctions of any kind using various brands, types and gr. of ammunition. :clap:
can you post more pictures??
Im considering getting a aug in the collection later :P
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”