Scope Mounting Question Sig 716

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

KAF_Creature
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Scope Mounting Question Sig 716

Post by KAF_Creature » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:03 pm

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Sig 716, this is my first semi automatic rifle. I own a few bolt actions in 7mm and .300win but I always wanted a Semi Auto .308.

It may be a dumb question but I ask because it didn't pass my common sense test.

I purchased the Gun and Scope from a Gun Shop I have not done any business with prior to this transaction but they were the cheapest for this rifle in my area. The owner sent me over to the Gunsmith counter to have the scope mounted for me for free and he attempted to mount the Scope where I have placed a Red Arrow on the picture. I asked him to mount it further up so the scope did not interfere with the charging handle (My common sense test), but just prior to the seam separating the hand guard from the upper receiver. He then asked if I was sure I wanted it mounted there and seemed reluctant to place it where it currently is in the picture.

I have used this Rifle a few times and have had no issues and the eye relief and all is fine. Did I do something wrong or mount this improperly?

I have a black belt, it holds my Glock.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Re: Scope Mounting Question Sig 716

Post by AS556 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:21 pm

It looks fine to me. If the scope is usable for you I see no issue regardless of what the Smith said. If you are having difficulty actuating the charging handle I'd recommend a BCM charging handle with the large latch, that should allow you to clear it. Just be sure to get the .308 version.

zoiders

Post by zoiders » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:35 am

Sounds like the guy in the shop is unfamiliar with mounting sporter style scopes on flat top rifles with straight through stocks.

It's a good job you ignored him or you would have been rewarded with a nice semi circular cut where your nose meets your eyebrow. Short eye relief scopes as in military ones often have a rubber eye piece.

KAF_Creature

Post by KAF_Creature » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:26 am

I appreciate the replies, I was hoping I had it right. As I side note I am very pleased with Vortex so far.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:01 am

AS556 wrote:It looks fine to me. If the scope is usable for you I see no issue regardless of what the Smith said. If you are having difficulty actuating the charging handle I'd recommend a BCM charging handle with the large latch, that should allow you to clear it. Just be sure to get the .308 version.

The BCM .308 charging handle does not fit the Sig 716.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:17 am

Fair enough.

KAF_Creature

Post by KAF_Creature » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:55 am

Good to know, I will look for another because I like the concept.

Snyper708

Post by Snyper708 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:36 pm

It's a good job you ignored him or you would have been rewarded with a nice semi circular cut where your nose meets your eyebrow. Short eye relief scopes as in military ones often have a rubber eye piece.
If the eye relief is too short for the amount of recoil, that's not going to change due to the mounting position, and may even be more likely if you have to "crawl the stock" to get to the correct distance.

It's common to mount them farther back because it's a more natural head position unless you're always shooting with the stock collapsed

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”