Modern Hunting Rifle

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mantis

Modern Hunting Rifle

Post by mantis » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:28 pm

A company in Alberta, Canada has designed a new modern hunting rifle specifically for the Canadian market. It chambers the .308 Winchester cartridge with other options available and has been classified as NON-restricted by the RCMP. If you could get a FN and AR to produce offspring, it would probably look something like this:

The Rifle features

Integrated Ambi bolt release.
Non reciprocating folding charge handle, sealed to prevent gas escape for the shooter - this will be very familiar to FN FAL users.
Ambi safety (optional)
Ambi mag release (optional)
7075 billet upper and lower receivers, black Milspec hard anodized.
Hinged dust cover over ejection port.
Left handed friendly shell deflector.
Direct gas impingement operating system ( tried and proven to work)
Employs AR style grip and stock.
Employs Magpul 308 P mags.
True matchgrade barrels are standard , various lengths, contours and calibers available based on 308 parent cartridge.

http://albertatacticalrifle.com/hikasho ... athway-122
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: Modern Hunting Rifle

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:31 pm

Looks good!!! But over 3 grand is a little steep!!!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

mantis

Post by mantis » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:45 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:Looks good!!! But over 3 grand is a little steep!!!
I suspect the price will come down over time. Here in Canada, we pay a premium for non-restricted AR-like rifles. You can buy a Norinco M4 knockoff (restricted) for $600 but with few exceptions, anything "tacticool" that is non-restricted costs a bundle. Norinco products such as the M14/M305 and T97 NSR are a couple of exceptions. Swiss Arms rifles are over $3,000.00 An Ar-120B (non restricted) will easily fetch $1,500 if you can find one. Even the new Kel-Tech SU-16 with AR like furniture costs around $1,300 vs $800 for a standard Kel-Tech SU-16.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:49 am

I have been hunting with AR-10 style rifles for a really long time. Very handy if a bit heavy.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by jaowens76 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:34 am

Looks like an American Spirit or similar side charging upper with an UBR. Am I missing something that makes this any different than a standard AR10 other than the side charger? Your RCMP categorization is all over the map as to what is restricted vs non restricted. That being said I am glad you guys have another non-restricted option up north.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:45 am

Meanwhile in Pennsylvania USA
Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer (or bear, elk, coyote, etc) during the regular and special firearms deer seasons with any of the following devices:

(i) A manually operated, centerfire firearm.
Even though it may be easier and cheaper for me in PA to buy certain firearms like an AR-10 than it is in Canada , I cannot use something like an AR-10 to hunt like you guys can.

mantis

Post by mantis » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:56 pm

jaowens76 wrote:Looks like an American Spirit or similar side charging upper with an UBR. Am I missing something that makes this any different than a standard AR10 other than the side charger? Your RCMP categorization is all over the map as to what is restricted vs non restricted. That being said I am glad you guys have another non-restricted option up north.
In order to be classified as non-restricted, it would have to be significantly different from an AR. I know the upper and lower are completely different and not compatible - that might have been enough to escape classification as an AR variant and therefore classified as restricted (range use only). Not sure about the internals. That side charger is pretty cool too- works just like the one on the FAL. the "handle" snaps against the side of the receiver so little is poking out and it does not reciprocate when the rifle is fired. It also comes with a match grade barrel as standard equipment.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:06 pm

Are Norinco M14 rifles still cheap in Canada? Last I heard they could be found for less than $500, but that was years ago so I imagine the price has gone up.

I can understand why someone might prefer an AR/FAL style rifle to an M14, but if a M14 can be purchased so inexpensively it seems like it would be the way to go for anyone on a normal budget.

mantis

Post by mantis » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:11 pm

quazi wrote:Are Norinco M14 rifles still cheap in Canada? Last I heard they could be found for less than $500, but that was years ago so I imagine the price has gone up.

I can understand why someone might prefer an AR/FAL style rifle to an M14, but if a M14 can be purchased so inexpensively it seems like it would be the way to go for anyone on a normal budget.
They are indeed. Non-restricted and around $450 - $500 available with full size barrel or short SOCOM style barrel. The attraction of this rifle is that it is not only "tacticool" but also a tack driver out of the box.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:52 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:Meanwhile in Pennsylvania USA
Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer (or bear, elk, coyote, etc) during the regular and special firearms deer seasons with any of the following devices:

(i) A manually operated, centerfire firearm.
Even though it may be easier and cheaper for me in PA to buy certain firearms like an AR-10 than it is in Canada , I cannot use something like an AR-10 to hunt like you guys can.

I don't know the feels, but this makes me wanna email you a hug anyway. In SC, we can hunt with any rifle, and rifle season starts Sept 1 and goes all season. Bows and Black Powder are how Convicts hunt. :lol: We can hunt with 22 cal centerfire , too. I rocked my AR for a bit of doe culling this season. Heaps of fun!
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:13 pm

If this new rifle took more readily available M14 magazines the interest would be much larger I think, if AR10 clones can be made to feed from the M14 magazine than this one could have as well.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”