Deer / varmint rifle

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Deer / varmint rifle

Post by jaowens76 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:35 pm

Thoughts on a Remington model Seven 18.5"bbl model in 7mm-08? I plan on checking the crown and bore next time I am in the shop, but assuming both are good do you think 435 with rings is a good deal? This is an 80's vintage model that looks great roughly 85%+ possibly 90+.

Dooms

Re: Deer / varmint rifle

Post by Dooms » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:06 pm

If you weren't already aware, the model 7 is essentially a downsized model 700. I believe the receiver is about a half inch shorter by design. They're nice rifles and many actually prefer them to the 700. The downside is that they arn't as prolific as the 700, so they are less supported by the aftermarket.

Being a slightly smaller and lighter rifle they tend to kick hard, especially the light weight synthetic models. 7mm-08 is pretty much the ideal all-around cartridge for a model 7. Another great one is the .260 remington, but I think the 7mm-08 is the way to go based on availability.

minengr

Post by minengr » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:19 am

Do you reload? What distances are you planning to shoot?

I don't have a 7, so I'm unsure of the mag box dimensions. The shorter box may prevent you from shooting heavier bullets, but that may (or may not) be an issue for you. If you're planning on deer hunting, I'd be looking at Barnes TSX 120's.

I like the 7-08, I have one in a 700. Without seeing it, would be a tough call. Sounds like a handy light rig. Personally, I'd like something with a little longer barrel. But I'm sure with decent ammo it will drop deer.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:42 am

Without seeing it I wouldn't call it a "deal" or a "steal". But if you have an affinity towards 80's Remingtons, the Model Seven will get the job done. As was said, the Model Seven is a compact Rem 700, which I no longer have a love affair with and will probably never buy anoher Remington... so I am biased. But I am sure it will be accurate regardless.

If you want a compact rifle in 7mm-08, then I would rather spend my money (probably much less too) on a Ruger American Compact or the Howa Ranchland Compact. Both have 18 inch barrels, come in the short-action cartridges including 7mm-08, and come in light and superbly accurate packages.

But as I said, if you heart desires a "Rem Sev", who I am to split up true love....

...Good luck and keep us posted!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:20 am

7-08 is harder to find than other 7mm cartridges out there(at least around me), but it's not impossible to find. If you have any big box hunting stores around you, you'll be fine. If you reload, you'll be golden. I think the price is ok(not great, not bad either). If you can talk them down a little bit, that's even better.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by jaowens76 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:16 am

I am looking at this as a handy walkabout rifle with coyote - large Kansas whitetail being on the receiving end. I am biased towards wood stocks and as a kid wore out a 1985 Remington catalog. I understand the Rem hate, and would agree if I was buying new. I am pretty well set on caliber but not necessarily on the rifle yet, but the shop does do trades so 435 most likely turns into sub 100.
I do plan on reloading and had been looking hard at the 120 ttsx. I had great success with the 85 tsx in my 6.8. My local pawn shop stocks .284 bullets but they are Sierras both 120 and 140 gr. Do I need to adjust loads when switching between a standard bullet such as the sierra and a ttsx? Or can I work up a load using the sierras and use that data for the Barnes as well?

minengr

Post by minengr » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:04 pm

jaowens76 wrote: Do I need to adjust loads when switching between a standard bullet such as the sierra and a ttsx? Or can I work up a load using the sierras and use that data for the Barnes as well?
***Disclaimer*** Reload at your own risk, but for me a 120gr bullet is a 120gr bullet regardless of manufacturer.

The only issue I've ever had with Barnes is that the all copper bullets behave as a heavier bullet. Depending how the barrel is twisted they may not stabilize, resulting in unwanted keyholes. Powder charge wise I'd treat them the same. I'm pretty sure all Rem 7mm barrels are 1-9.25 so you shouldn't have an issue. Also, I'd stick with the older tsx not the ttsx, but that's just me.

If you can find it, RL-15 is the go to powder. I'd try to kiss the lands with the bullet (mag box length might prevent this). If not load to mag box length and rock on. Personally haven't had a chance to use them on game, but everything I've read/heard suggest loading them as hot as you feel comfortable. More speed isn't going to hurt, I know several guys shooting them in 7RM's. Just be aware of excess pressure signs.

Not a big fan of wood. Highly recommend floating the barrel and bedding the action. I'd top it with Talley LW's and a 6x lupy. But, that's how I have my 700 7-08 so I'm a bit biased.

Good luck.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by jaowens76 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:17 pm

I will be posting pics soon. I really like this rifle. Short, light, low recoil. In other words damn near ideal. I mounted a CHEAP scope on it til after the first of the year mainly because I just switched jobs. Eventually I will spend some money on glass but for now cheap will work this deer season.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:13 pm

I'm glad you like the gun. 7mm-08 is a good caliber for a smaller and lighter rifle. Seems like it will fit your needs quite well.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Snyper708

Post by Snyper708 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:10 pm

Try some loads with a 120 Ballistic Tip
It's a good bullet for deer as well as smaller animals, and cheaper than most Barnes bullets

You can buy "factory seconds" that are really no worse than the higher priced versions

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”