PMC "Battlepack" Ammo

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

PMC "Battlepack" Ammo

Post by Akin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:52 am

Greetings all!

So, as was promised several SHOT Shows ago, it looks like PMC is finally starting to offer their 5.56 ammunition in "battlepack" configuration.

They've offered .223 for a while, but I like to stock 5.56, so...

What do people think of the PMC 5.56 line? They call it the "X-TAC" loading, and it's supposed to be mil-spec M193 (they also offer it in M855).

These battlepacks look pretty damn neat for storage... right now, when I buy a case of ammo to store, I transfer the individual boxes in it to .50 ammo cans. With this kind of packaging, I'd just leave them in the carboard case.

Of course, IMI 5.56 is still freely available, so the urge is to just buy that... decisions, decisions...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

woodsghost

Re: PMC "Battlepack" Ammo

Post by woodsghost » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:33 am

If PMC is sealed (neck and primer), I'd go for it. I would also go for the M193 rather than M855. Others may disagree.

I would consider putting it in a protective hard case. The packaging should protect from moisture, but a hard case will protect the packaging from puncture.

IMI is real cool though! I"m excited about anything coming out of their factories.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:01 pm

PMC 5.56 is what I stockpile for both training (the slightly cheaper stuff 223A load) and for bad times (the XTAC stuff.) And I too prefer the 55 grain arrangement. I wouldn't recommend that others stock on both types, but I shoot enough of the stuff to justify saving $0.50/20pk when shooting in classes and practicing the skills learned. It's good ammunition.

The thing is, those battle packs aren't the most efficient way to store the ammunition (discussed elsewhere on the forums.) The boxes inside the pouches eat up space, despite making things more stackable. If stackable is what you're looking for, then go for it. If total space saving is the goal, there are better ways of doing it.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:22 pm

LJ126 wrote:PMC 5.56 is what I stockpile for both training (the slightly cheaper stuff 223A load) and for bad times (the XTAC stuff.) And I too prefer the 55 grain arrangement. I wouldn't recommend that others stock on both types, but I shoot enough of the stuff to justify saving $0.50/20pk when shooting in classes and practicing the skills learned. It's good ammunition.

The thing is, those battle packs aren't the most efficient way to store the ammunition (discussed elsewhere on the forums.) The boxes inside the pouches eat up space, despite making things more stackable. If stackable is what you're looking for, then go for it. If total space saving is the goal, there are better ways of doing it.

For storage, as I mentioned, I'd leave it in the cardboard cases that it comes in. That stuff stacks pretty well all right! :-D

By any chance do you have a link to where they've been discussed before? As typical, when I was looking, I didn't find anything. The search function here in the forums hates me.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:28 pm

We had a thread where it was discusses whether it was better to store ammo in magazines or in the boxes. If the magazines are empty, you are wasting space. If you fill them and still have extra ammo, you want to not leave them in packages which are super bulky. At least, that is the thread I remember.

The whole point of buying a battle pack is to leave the ammo in the battle pack and not mess with it till needed.

For searching, I use google.

You type "site: zombiehunters.org [whatever you are looking for here]"

So, maybe..... site: zombiehunters.org better to store ammo in box or in magazine

And see if you get any hits. If not, mess around with the search terms.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:37 pm

Ahhh, thought you were discussing the battlepacks. I've already got my own methodology on storing ammo and magazines and stuff.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:01 pm

Akin wrote:Ahhh, thought you were discussing the battlepacks. I've already got my own methodology on storing ammo and magazines and stuff.
The previous poster might have, but it did not sound like it to me, and I remember a discussion of ammo storage, which I related. They sounded like they were talking about the mag/box thread. I might have missed something though :)

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:26 pm

I used to shoot a lot of PMC bronze and X-Tac. It is good, clean, reliable ammunition. That said, based on my research it doesn't appear to be a bonafide SS109 (M855) or 193 projectiles, so it might not be wise to expect terminal ballistics like the well documented Federal/ LC loadings. Nothing I found was definitive, just what I gathered. Also its supposed to be crazy flashy at night. This is documented in photo online. Maybe the guy was using a brake, maybe an A2. Cant remember at the moment.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:03 pm

Anyone want to throw up a link to the best prices available for the PMC and IMI battlepacks?

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:17 pm

I've never seen IMI battlepacks, it was just the PMC, which is at SGAmmo.com. IMI is only at Wideners. I could look up the links when I get home (ie, when I'm not on my phone)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:28 am

Jeriah wrote:Anyone want to throw up a link to the best prices available for the PMC and IMI battlepacks?
PMC battlepacks by the case

http://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556mm ... mmo-223abp

http://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556mm ... cks-556xbp

and per pack

http://www.sgammo.com/product/pmc/200-r ... mmo-223abp

http://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556mm ... mmo-556xbp

I have been watching it myself.

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:20 pm

XTAC is some good stuff. Goes pew when I pull the trigger. Doesn't appear to be any more difficult to clean than say, Prvi M193 (Which is my current stockpile ammo)
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:31 pm

Speaking of IMI, Wideners has the M193 flavor on sale. It hasn't been this cheap in many years, and might not ever be again...

Of course shipping increased it to $0.32/round for me, but still, for IMI, that's damn inexpensive.

Its also notably cheaper than the PMC I started this thread about...

https://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm ... =9017&dir=
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:03 pm

Thanks y'all!

Was able to reset my 5.56 stocks for a good while thanks to these links... Nice mix of quality XM193 for training and long-term storage w/the battle packs.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”