120mm: Long term rifle storage

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: 120mm: Long term rifle storage

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:04 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Rick Shaw wrote: I'm not loading the mags because I don't want the stings compressed for an extended amount of time.
Load the mags. It won't hurt the springs.
For real.

I forsee this opening up the debate though so here you go: springs are weakened by continuous loading and unloading. Loading the springs will not weaken them. Springs will only degrade if they corrode.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:20 pm

Zimmy wrote:I might have missed it, but how much did the container cost you?
I paid 20 bucks in a surplus store

you can find then on eBay and amazon for 25 to 30 bucks

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:37 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Rick Shaw wrote: I'm not loading the mags because I don't want the stings compressed for an extended amount of time.
For real.

I forsee this opening up the debate though so here you go: springs are weakened by continuous loading and unloading. Loading the springs will not weaken them. Springs will only degrade if they corrode.
There is no debate
I'm not storing loaded mags

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:11 pm

Rick Shaw wrote:
BullOnParade wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
For real.

There is no debate
I'm not storing loaded mags
Though anyone following your example is free to do so.

Personally, I'd load the mags and use the space saved in the ammo can for spare parts, and I'd nix the silver and use that space for a .22lr pistol, a brick of .22lr ammo, fishhooks, sinkers, fishing line, and maybe a bottle of water purification tabs.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:08 pm

Each there own
done

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:13 pm

Judging by his posts, I'm willing to bet Rick Shaw has just about every other major preps taken care of.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:43 pm

Assault Life wrote:Judging by his posts, I'm willing to bet Rick Shaw has just about every other major preps taken care of.
correct sir.
nail on the head

dbruce

Post by dbruce » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:43 pm

Rick:

If you have things that are waaay down on the bottom what I do is tie a 550 cord around it and the other end up top.

That way I don' t have to do the shake shake shake to get them out.

Just saying.

dbruce

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:58 pm

dbruce wrote:Rick:

If you have things that are waaay down on the bottom what I do is tie a 550 cord around it and the other end up top.

That way I don' t have to do the shake shake shake to get them out.

Just saying.

dbruce
not an issue
total depth of can is 31 inches.
my reach is 28 inches (I know because I measured for my bow)
I can reach the bottom just fine.

vegasguy

Post by vegasguy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:36 pm

Manimal2878 wrote:If somebody really suspects you have buried contraband and is charged with finding it, they will be using a combo of metal detectors and ground penetrating radar, a few nails on the surface aren't going to throw them off. Second, seeding the ground with metal while the rest of the area has no metal would only add to the suspicion that something is buried there.
How about a hollowed up stump?

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:46 am

A little bit of stump wood will not hide that huge hunk of metal.

Hand held metal detectors work in any direction. Nothing is stopping someone from scanning the stump for a few seconds. If they are looking for a large hunk of metal like a gun they will look in anything that can hold it. Including septic tanks, old stumps, water toughs, and under walkways.

Remember that if the law is looking for it they will call out a hoard of people to help and spend days doing it.

If your just hiding it from passing folks then why worry about the metal detectors? Don't bury it where someone might casually be detecting for coins or on possible archeological sights, or where utility services might be, or possible construction sights.

And finally I recommend you not bury anything of value in an area outside your watchful eye or control. Especially a firearm. Ammo maybe.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:53 am

By the way I use one of those very same cans for an AK, all its accoutrements and ammo along with a sidearm and its ammo.

As soon as I get another AK I'll do the same to it.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:02 am

MacAttack wrote: And finally I recommend you not bury anything of value in an area outside your watchful eye or control. Especially a firearm. Ammo maybe.
Yea, I have a bit of an issue with that too. Burying it in your basement or putting in your walls is one thing, but outside there are just so many bad things that could happen. I'm assuming its on your property. Burying an AR and ammo on someone else property or on public land would be downright stupid, and illegal.

If you put it outside, even on your property, it could be;

Dug up and stolen in the middle of the night.

It could be destroyed by the elements, just a pinhole leak and the contents of that box could be ruined.

Most of all, if you God forbid die suddenly and not tell anyone the location of that box,it will never be found. Your relative would miss out , and you could have complete strangers find it down the line, and use it for bad things.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:07 am

Mikeyboy wrote:
MacAttack wrote: And finally I recommend you not bury anything of value in an area outside your watchful eye or control. Especially a firearm. Ammo maybe.
Yea, I have a bit of an issue with that too. Burying it in your basement or putting in your walls is one thing, but outside there are just so many bad thing that could happen. I'm assuming its on your property. Burying an AR and ammo on someone else property or on public land would be downright stupid, and illegal.

It could be destroyed by the elements, just a pinhole leak and the contents of that box could be ruined.

Most of all, if you God forbid die suddenly and not tell anyone the location of that box,it will never be found. Your relative would miss out , and you could have complete strangers find it down the line, and use it for bad things.
When my grandfather died, we did a room-by-room search of his house. $50,000 worth of cash, antiques, and other sundries hidden, likely stuff he had forgotten about long before. I have a cavalry Saber from the Civil War and my brother has an antique rifle from the same era that would have been sold with the house otherwise. There's still a Benelli Super 90 and a Garand missing from that house. We're not sure if he sold them or just hid them beyond our ability to search. If you're caching or hiding stuff, write it down somewhere, put the locations in a safe deposit or something so that if the worst happens, your survivors can take care of everything without having to wonder.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:27 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Mikeyboy wrote:
Yea, I have a bit of an issue with that too. Burying it in your basement or putting in your walls is one thing, but outside there are just so many bad thing that could happen. I'm assuming its on your property. Burying an AR and ammo on someone else property or on public land would be downright stupid, and illegal.

When my grandfather died, we did a room-by-room search of his house. $50,000 worth of cash, antiques, and other sundries hidden, likely stuff he had forgotten about long before. I have a cavalry Saber from the Civil War and my brother has an antique rifle from the same era that would have been sold with the house otherwise. There's still a Benelli Super 90 and a Garand missing from that house. We're not sure if he sold them or just hid them beyond our ability to search. If you're caching or hiding stuff, write it down somewhere, put the locations in a safe deposit or something so that if the worst happens, your survivors can take care of everything without having to wonder.
I assume your grandfather was from the Great Depression Era, I had a few relatives who did the same thing. They really don't trust banks and are real lax with firearms storage. Its almost like you are a DEA agent and have to turn the whole house over looking for drugs. When my grandfather died we found $5K in a drop ceiling, and another 1K in an envelope taped to the bottom of a drawer. More importantly he had a old colt .32 police revolver hanging from the trigger guard, loaded on a nail in the rafters of the basement. My dad and I literally found it 10 minutes before the relator showed up to walk thru a prospective buyer. We never found his 1911, and some other things, and we can only assume the new owners will either find them or they will stay in their hiding place forever.

Problem is they have all this stuff hidden for safe keeping, then as they get older they get dementia or just plain forgetful, and like a chipmunk they lose tract of where they stored their nuts for the winter.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:50 pm

Ok. Lets try this again.
I am not burying anything.

I am not hiding illegal weapons or mags.

I am not advocating or suggesting you bury or hide illegal arms that need to be stashed from law enforcement.

I bought a 120mm ammo can.
I'm using to stash a couple of rifles, mags, and ammo at my camping cabin.
Thats it.

yes this is my property

vegasguy

Post by vegasguy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:13 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Mikeyboy wrote:

I assume your grandfather was from the Great Depression Era, I had a few relatives who did the same thing. They really don't trust banks and are real lax with firearms storage. Its almost like you are a DEA agent and have to turn the whole house over looking for drugs. When my grandfather died we found $5K in a drop ceiling, and another 1K in an envelope taped to the bottom of a drawer. More importantly he had a old colt .32 police revolver hanging from the trigger guard, loaded on a nail in the rafters of the basement. My dad and I literally found it 10 minutes before the relator showed up to walk thru a prospective buyer. We never found his 1911, and some other things, and we can only assume the new owners will either find them or they will stay in their hiding place forever.

Problem is they have all this stuff hidden for safe keeping, then as they get older they get dementia or just plain forgetful, and like a chipmunk they lose tract of where they stored their nuts for the winter.
There has to be a way to find things like that in a house...

It sucks that happened to you, and will happen to others...family heirlooms, gold, sliver, and firearms should always be past down, never forgotten, and waste away in attic, walls, and basements..

Manimal2878
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Manimal2878 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:22 pm

Rick Shaw wrote:Ok. Lets try this again.

I am not advocating or suggesting you bury or hide illegal arms that need to be stashed from law enforcement.
I don't believe anybody said you were doing those things.

Some topics just lead to certain related aspects being discussed.

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:32 am

There has to be a way to find things like that in a house...

It sucks that happened to you, and will happen to others...family heirlooms, gold, sliver, and firearms should always be past down, never forgotten, and waste away in attic, walls, and basements..[/quote]

I buy and sell antiques and have got many things including guns that I have found in houses and barns that the new owner didn't even know were there. In this business it is very common for when some one dies or goes into a home the family that inherits the stuff have no interest in it and just wants to get rid of it.
I run an add in the local paper and get lots of calls from folks like this and while most times not anything I want I have done very well too. Often I end up in an attic, basement or barn looking for stuff and the owner has no idea what they have. I always ask about guns and have more then a few times been told there are none and then I find an enfield or mauser in the rafters or a shotgun out in the barn. Once found a SMLE Enfield in a wood shed behind a stack of fire wood and woman that didn't want it just gave it to me. looked like it had been there for many years but cleaned up well. Got a real nice WWI Colt 1911 in original holster and belt rig off a guy who told me it was the one his great granddad carried during the war that his dad had told him about. I traded him a 12 ga. shotgun for it. Have found a couple real good Japanese Swords like this too that I picked up cheap...You will be surprised at the many folks that have no interest in anything like this that they inherent and are happy to get a little money and be rid of it.
I have a good friend who buys house lots, person dies and family sells them the contents of the house, sometimes they don't even pay for the contents it's part of the deal if they clean the house out. They have found $20,000 worth of gold and silver coins hid in a bathroom and a rare photo hanging on the wall that they got $5,000 for. I think both of those houses they got for free just to clean them out .They call me if they come across any guns or knives and I have got a few from them

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:26 pm

Manimal2878 wrote:
Rick Shaw wrote:Ok. Lets try this again.

I don't believe anybody said you were doing those things.

Some topics just lead to certain related aspects being discussed.

Your right.
I was commenting about the guy just above my post. Vegasguy.

Relax Rick Shaw. Not all posts in a thread directly relate to the origional posters comments.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”