120mm: Long term rifle storage

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

120mm: Long term rifle storage

Post by Rick Shaw » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:52 pm

Picked up a 120mm ammo can about 6 months ago.
I wanted to use it to set up a stash at my camp cabin (A.K.A Bugout site Alpha).

I wasn’t sure how I was going to set it up.
So the last few months have been R &D (what will fit and what will not)
Here is what I came up with

Dimensions: 31 1/2" x 12 1/2" x 6"

-2X M4 (must have 14.5 inch barrels with extended FH pinned in to fit in one piece)
-12x 30 round mags (Recommend Troy Battle mags or USGI for best fit)
-30 cal Ammo can with 600 rounds of Green tip on stripper clips (Recommend Z Corr Bag)
-2x four mag pouch w/ single point sling (One pouch is Blackhawk belt pouch and midwayusa bandolier)
-Box with tradable valuables (I have 140 1 oz silver eagles)

Be sure to bag the ammo against corrosion. I’m using the z Corr 30 cal bag. Cost was 7 bucks.

Be sure to pre the rifles for long term storage. I’m using Z Corr vacuum bags and a nylon sock to keep them from rattling around. Mag well lock for security since I had a kid in the house.

Here is how it fits

Bottom:
30 cal can up on the side
6 30 round mags stuffed between the 30 cal can and the wall of the outer container
6 30 round mags siting upright on top of the 30 cal can

Middle:
Four mag pouches on top of the 30 cal can and mags

Top:
Slide the rifles in (They will take up the entire length of the can)
Set the box of valuables in

Hope this helps someone plan a stash.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: 120mm: Long term rifle storage

Post by Halfapint » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:42 pm

That is awesome!! Great idea
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:51 am

two thumbs up!

The only thing I'd do different is to add a couple large desiccant packs in with the ammo and throw a basic cleaning kit or two in there...even if it's just a couple bottles of CLP and a couple bore snakes.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:05 pm

...now you have the gears turning!

The cleaning kit stuff could easily go in one of the pouches on the vests or in that empty space beside your box O'tradeables. I'd also get a spare bolt and firing pin and store them in the handle of each rifle; can't tell for sure in the pics but if those are Magpul grips there's an insert made for exactly that purpose.

Maybe throw in a minimal spare parts kit...at least a spring replacement kit or two..as well?

There's a bit more room in there so I'd consider throwing in a couple pre-built BOATs. These too could fit in a mag pouch on each vest then go into a pocket when donning the vest.

Awesome idea...now I have to go source one myself! We have a couple of lengths of schedule 40 PVC out in the garage that we are adding "stuff" to to add to other "stuff" buried out at the ranch and elsewhere, but your ammo can is much more accessible for a quick re- (or initial) supply. Well protected for long-term storage but still reasonably accessible.

Nice job!
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:14 pm

Definitely need a parts kit. You haven't lived till you lose the cotter pin retaining the firing pin in grass.

Yeah, you really want silica gel in that ammo can. Maybe two cans of ammo.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:59 pm

One question I didn't really think about. How much does that weigh in total????
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:33 pm

Halfapint wrote:One question I didn't really think about. How much does that weigh in total????
Total weight is around or under 40- 50 pounds
Not quite sure but its mobile enough to carry to my truck by myself.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:34 pm

jor-el wrote:Definitely need a parts kit. You haven't lived till you lose the cotter pin retaining the firing pin in grass.

two cans of ammo will not fit unless I give up mags and a rifle
I want two for me and my wife.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:38 pm

91Eunozs wrote:two thumbs up!

The only thing I'd do different is to add a couple large desiccant packs in with the ammo and throw a basic cleaning kit or two in there...even if it's just a couple bottles of CLP and a couple bore snakes.
Camp Cabin (A.K.A Bugout Alpha) has cleaning equipment on site.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:41 pm

91Eunozs wrote:...now you have the gears turning!

The cleaning kit stuff could easily go in one of the pouches on the vests or in that empty space beside your box O'tradeables. I'd also get a spare bolt and firing pin and store them in the handle of each rifle; can't tell for sure in the pics but if those are Magpul grips there's an insert made for exactly that purpose.

Maybe throw in a minimal spare parts kit...at least a spring replacement kit or two..as well?

There's a bit more room in there so I'd consider throwing in a couple pre-built BOATs. These too could fit in a mag pouch on each vest then go into a pocket when donning the vest.

Awesome idea...now I have to go source one myself! We have a couple of lengths of schedule 40 PVC out in the garage that we are adding "stuff" to to add to other "stuff" buried out at the ranch and elsewhere, but your ammo can is much more accessible for a quick re- (or initial) supply. Well protected for long-term storage but still reasonably accessible.

Nice job!
I might look into the magpul grip insert.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:37 am

Rick Shaw wrote:
jor-el wrote:Definitely need a parts kit. You haven't lived till you lose the cotter pin retaining the firing pin in grass.

two cans of ammo will not fit unless I give up mags and a rifle
I want two for me and my wife.
There's some open space unused. Perhaps some loose rounds on clips in baggies and desiccant packs? Perhaps disassembling the uppers from the lowers to gain space?
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:13 am

Rick Shaw wrote:
91Eunozs wrote:two thumbs up!

Camp Cabin (A.K.A Bugout Alpha) has cleaning equipment on site.
Ah... I was thinking this would be a hidden (buried?) storage option. Still it'd be nice to have everything you need to service/run the weapons in case the cabin is burglarized and this is overlooked/hidden well or if there's a fire, etc.

We have something similar at a friend's property, hidden near/under but not in the cabin. Not as neat as this...basically vacuum sealed bags inside 18" capped tubing.

I like your idea because you can grab it, pick it up and throw in the back of the truck or whatever if you're in a hurry. Easier to open without a big-ass wrench or hacksaw too.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:55 pm

I'm not big on burying supplies
too much can go wrong (water damage, rust, a dude with a metal detector...ect)

hidden under a floor board beneath a stove or in the rafters needing two people and a ladder is good enough for me.

vegasguy

Post by vegasguy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:12 am

Rick Shaw wrote:I'm not big on burying supplies

hidden under a floor board beneath a stove or in the rafters needing two people and a ladder is good enough for me.
Hey is what I do, put a few nails, screws, nuts, just below the the grounds, in a large 10 ft square around your dig sit, make sure they are old and rusted, (maybe a few spent casings that have been sitting in a bath of motor oil for a few day so it looks ancient) just below the ground..

Metal detector Joe will find them, think that is all there is and move on, maybe put a large rock on top of the ground above the storage container so not to be scanned.

maybe a log..
Last edited by vegasguy on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Morgo

Post by Morgo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:38 am

vegasguy wrote:
Rick Shaw wrote:I'm not big on burying supplies

Hey is what I do, put a few nails, screws, nuts, just below the the grounds, in a large 10 ft square around your dig sit, make sure they are old and rusted, (maybe a few spent casings that have been sitting in a bath of motor oil for a few day so it looks ancient) just below the ground..

Metal detector Joe will find them, think that is all there is and move on, maybe put a large rock right over the storage container so not to be scanned/maybe they will think it is ore filled rock and move on...
If they decide to dig, rest assured they will run the detector over the site again after they have found everything you burried on top of it and will likely dig further. Finding the rock only raises the question of what is under it?
Realistically chances of someone having a metal detector and finding it in the OP's situation is very very slim.

OP, did you pre load the mags?

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:28 am

Morgo wrote: OP, did you pre load the mags?
Valid point, 50% more ammo for zero additional space.

I assume that your primary rifles are similar in setup, weight and length? If this is at the BOL, you could then decrease the need for parts kits because each rifle can support the others (assuming you have the tools on site to move things around).
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Manimal2878
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Manimal2878 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:17 am

If somebody really suspects you have buried contraband and is charged with finding it, they will be using a combo of metal detectors and ground penetrating radar, a few nails on the surface aren't going to throw them off. Second, seeding the ground with metal while the rest of the area has no metal would only add to the suspicion that something is buried there.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:35 am

No plans to bury the stash
you can hide something inside a structure well enough without the worry of exposure to the elements.

also, these are not contraband weapons or mags
everything is legal in my area

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:11 am

BullOnParade wrote:
Morgo wrote: OP, did you pre load the mags?
Valid point, 50% more ammo for zero additional space.

I assume that your primary rifles are similar in setup, weight and length? If this is at the BOL, you could then decrease the need for parts kits because each rifle can support the others (assuming you have the tools on site to move things around).
I'm not loading the mags because I don't want the stings compressed for an extended amount of time.

these are not primary weapons.
these are backups in case we show up at the cabin with nothing but the clothes on our backs

primary weapon is a sig 551 sbr (swiss mags) for me and a colt car sbr for the lady.

still planing on adding a parts kit.
I have plenty of spare parts in my work shop

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:43 am

Rick Shaw wrote: I'm not loading the mags because I don't want the stings compressed for an extended amount of time.
Load the mags. It won't hurt the springs.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:19 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Rick Shaw wrote: I'm not loading the mags because I don't want the stings compressed for an extended amount of time.
Load the mags. It won't hurt the springs.
nope

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:36 am

I would think if you broke the rifles down into their two sections they would take up less room.
I wouldn't worry to much about "proper" storage of the ammo, I think ammo stores much better then what many people think, I routinely shoot old ammo that has sat out in barns and garages for many years no trouble.
I would never store a gun inside a nylon case because I would worry about rust from condensation, I think better to wrap them in a cloth towel or blanket piece which will allow them to breathe

I buried some guns and ammo in a similar can for about 5ith no trouble, I think they would have been fine for much longer. I buried them under the sill beam in my blacksmith shop, lots of scrap iron and I think being under the wall might make it harder to find.

I picked up some of these surplus iron tubes , think they held rockets maybe, are about 3 1/2 ft by 8 inch across, at the Flea Market for $5 each. good thing about these is that they are easy to bury with just using a post hole digger and also because the lid unscrews off you can remove the contents with out having to dig out the whole can. I have them buried so that the lid is only a few inchs under the ground.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:42 am

The rifles will be stored in z core vacuum sealed plastic bag and then placed in the nylon sock. The nylon sock is to keep them from banging around.

you get zero extra room breaking the in half.
I have tried it.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:31 am

I might have missed it, but how much did the container cost you?
Boldly going nowhere

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”