The best polar rifle ever

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

The best polar rifle ever

Post by azrael99 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:45 pm

I'm interested to see what would be the best rifle used in a polar environment

We are talking about endurance in deep freeze temperature. No restriction. It can be a semi a bolt action a pump action even a lever action for as long as it civilian available

But please don't answer right away with russian gun like mosin or ak. Let your imagination run further
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Re: The best polar rifle ever

Post by Caenus » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:14 pm

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/ ... 895GBL.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:11 am

Enfield.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:19 am

anything russian

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:22 am

For what?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:45 am

Win Mod 70 in 300WM. Reliable in extreme cold,accurate & powerful enough for large critters of the North

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:39 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:For what?
Looks like its open to what you imagine you'd need it for in a polar environment. Obviously has to work when cold.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

FrANkNstEin

Post by FrANkNstEin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:05 am

AFAIK, anything will work in the cold as long as you´re smart enough NOT to put lube on it.....

Now i´ve never been in that environment myself but for all i know, there´s 2 Tricks to it:

First, you don´t put lube on it or you use something that will work in the cold and use very small amounts of it.
Second, you don´t take your firearm indoors, you leave them out in the cold as best as you can. The temp differences and subsequent moisture buildup when taking it from cold to warm and back out into the cold is what will make your gun freeze shut.

That family who lives in the remotest, most northern, place in Alaska? They leave ´em out on their porch. It´s not like there´s anyone around for hundreds of miles. (they are only allowed to live there because the dude is the park ranger or something, it´s completely off limits otherwise because it´s a wildlife habitat or whatnot)

Dude had a Bolt Action, a .22 of some sort for trapping and a shotgun if i remember correctly. IIRC, the bolt action was a .270? My memory could play tricks on me though, chances are the caliber wasn´t even mentioned.... The Vice report has made a piece about the couple, look it up on youtube.... Nice report, the dude even killed a bear on camera with the shotgun. Well you don´t see much as it was dark when the bear attacked.

I don´t think there´s any "best polar rifle evar". They use the same stuff as everyone else and treat them according to their environment.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:23 am

I'd say concerns/considerations re: lubrication and metallurgy for parts that come in contact with each other is more a factor than the weapon platform.

When we'd fly the Antarctic missions to McMurdo (landed on the frozen bay!), we'd spend a week in New Zealand prepping the jet for extended ground ops at 100 below; down to the grease on the screw actuators for the flaps, etc. Special fuel mixes too. It's always cold at altitude but very different to have a lot of moving control surfaces during the takeoff and landing phase.

For an AR-type platform it'd be interesting to look up some of the results from Winter training in Alaska or Canada or any of the Scandinavian countries, especially after the platform gets hot then cools back down. Steel bolts cycling in aluminum receivers probably led to some interesting results as those metals heat and cool at vastly different rates.

Hmmmm....now the gears are turning and the engineer in me is starting to consider mitigation strategies like dry lubes and coatings.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:38 am

The point on lubrification and temperature are really good

And about ar plateform i can talk , i used to be in the army in Canada

Ar variant are really sensible to stoppage in the cold , mostly with lubrification and ice

DON'T put your gun on snow after shooting
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Gray Gator

Post by Gray Gator » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:15 pm

How about anything that taken from a warm room, lubed, and outside in below freezing weather? I do not lube any different from spring to winter. I started using Sea Foam's Deep Creep and it worked well last deer season at 5F degrees just fine. I had a semi 22 that heard the phase, "40 degrees" and it would not load. Those guns I get rid of!
Find us on Facebook / Twin Ports Zombie Squad Zsc049‎
“Preparing gives you choices, not preparing gives you absolutely nothing"

qxredxp

Post by qxredxp » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:55 pm

North Pole Alaska 99705, use any old lube not much difference. I use Rem oil on shotguns and .22 for birds and other small game. Shot moose on winter hunt this year at -25 using Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle .308 with Moly Lube on bolt. Most important thing is just avoid moisture. Don't breath on metal. Don't blow snow off scope. I clean off lenses with rubbing alcohol, binds with water and evaporates in cold temps.
"Poor arithmetic... but very human. It runs through all our folklore, all human religions, all our literature - a racial conviction that when one human needs rescue, others should not count the price."

qxredxp

Post by qxredxp » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:11 pm

FrANkNstEin wrote:AFAIK, anything will work in the cold as long as you´re smart enough NOT to put lube on it.....

Now i´ve never been in that environment myself but for all i know, there´s 2 Tricks to it:

First, you don´t put lube on it or you use something that will work in the cold and use very small amounts of it.
Second, you don´t take your firearm indoors, you leave them out in the cold as best as you can. The temp differences and subsequent moisture buildup when taking it from cold to warm and back out into the cold is what will make your gun freeze shut.

That family who lives in the remotest, most northern, place in Alaska? They leave ´em out on their porch. It´s not like there´s anyone around for hundreds of miles. (they are only allowed to live there because the dude is the park ranger or something, it´s completely off limits otherwise because it´s a wildlife habitat or whatnot)

Dude had a Bolt Action, a .22 of some sort for trapping and a shotgun if i remember correctly. IIRC, the bolt action was a .270? My memory could play tricks on me though, chances are the caliber wasn´t even mentioned.... The Vice report has made a piece about the couple, look it up on youtube.... Nice report, the dude even killed a bear on camera with the shotgun. Well you don´t see much as it was dark when the bear attacked.

I don´t think there´s any "best polar rifle evar". They use the same stuff as everyone else and treat them according to their environment.
This statement is inaccurate. Sorry. Putting false info out sets us all up for failure. Use lube in any environment, metal on metal requires lube. Look at the army artic warfare training site just south of delta junction alaska for some simple guidelines. It's called the Northern Warfare Training Center.

Second, I live in the interior of alaska and if I left any firearm outside it would be stolen. Yes moisture is bad in the artic but this is why we put lubrication on firearms to prevent condensation. The thing you should be worried about is sweating, sweating kills (plus having your face freeze to your rifle sucks, personal experience).
"Poor arithmetic... but very human. It runs through all our folklore, all human religions, all our literature - a racial conviction that when one human needs rescue, others should not count the price."

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:34 pm

The Para-Rescue techs of the CFSAR (Canadian Forces Search and Rescue) use a 14.5" barreled, folding stock Ruger 77 in .30-06 for dangerous mega-fauna:

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Gray Gator

Post by Gray Gator » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:38 pm

qxredxp wrote:The thing you should be worried about is sweating, sweating kills (plus having your face freeze to your rifle sucks, personal experience).
That would totally SUCK, but you would have a great cheekweld!

Gray Gator

Post by Gray Gator » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:55 pm

Last deer season here I did take my rifle in and out. The house was 70+F degrees and outside was 5. The reasoning is wanted to if any problems presented themselves.... Nothing did. Rifle was a Mosin.
Last edited by Gray Gator on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:49 pm

Browning 35 wrote:The Para-Rescue techs of the CFSAR (Canadian Forces Search and Rescue) use a 14.5" barreled, folding stock Ruger 77 in .30-06 for dangerous mega-fauna:

I forgot about that one. Do you know if that model or a similar is available for civilian ???

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:59 pm

azrael99 wrote:
Browning 35 wrote:The Para-Rescue techs of the CFSAR (Canadian Forces Search and Rescue) use a 14.5" barreled, folding stock Ruger 77 in .30-06 for dangerous mega-fauna:

I forgot about that one. Do you know if that model or a similar is available for civilian ???
Here's what info I have on it.

http://www.rugertalk.com/entries/The-Or ... Rifle.html

AFAIK Ruger built some proto-types and then Ruger allowed Diemaco Inc., of Kitchener, Ontario to build them. Worse comes to worse if the real mil versions aren't available for purchase you could get a Ruger M-77 and reverse engineer one.

The stock looks like a Manners.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:07 pm

I don't know, but Wikipedia says the far northern Canadian Rangers use Lee Enfield No. 4.rifles in 303 http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Rangers
Canadian Rangers are issued the .303 British calibre Lee Enfield No 4 rifle, with each user being provided with 200 rounds of ammunition every year.

While the bolt action Lee-Enfield has been out of general service in the Canadian military since the 1950s, it has proven to be reliable in the Arctic environment. Canadian Rangers carry the weapon primarily for subsistence and protection against predators rather than with the expectation of engaging an enemy force.
I do know I like this rifle in my nonpolar environs.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:32 pm

I believe the Canadians Forces in the Search and Rescue (active service army) are different from the Canadian Rangers (which are somewhat like the National Guard).

http://www.forces.ca/en/job/searchandre ... hnician-11

The Canadian Rangers are supposed to get new rifles, but their government is still haggling about where the money is supposed to come from. The Canadian army soldiers in the SAR already have their new rifles.

http://www.army-armee.forces.gc.ca/en/c ... s/faq.page

http://o.canada.com/news/stephen-harper ... n-rangers/

http://www.casr.ca/bg-crr-canadian-ranger-rifle.htm

Two different groups.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:05 pm

Best rifle?

Hmm... maybe a pump action Remington 7600 in .35 Whelen caliber?

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/sho ... for-Alaska" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:08 am

Mosin Nagant. With that big-ass bayonet, you can swordfight narwhals. That should trump just about any other concern. :awesome:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:37 am

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:Mosin Nagant. With that big-ass bayonet, you can swordfight narwhals. That should trump just about any other concern. :awesome:
Thanks. With all this crappy weather I needed the laugh.

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:58 pm

qxredxp wrote:North Pole Alaska 99705, use any old lube not much difference. I use Rem oil on shotguns and .22 for birds and other small game. Shot moose on winter hunt this year at -25 using Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle .308 with Moly Lube on bolt. Most important thing is just avoid moisture. Don't breath on metal. Don't blow snow off scope. I clean off lenses with rubbing alcohol, binds with water and evaporates in cold temps.
Having some experience with cold climates I second this one(especially when going from a warm and humid vehicle and into deep freezer temperatures with the gun) , and I'll add that the surface area where there is metal on metal contact or near contact plays a role in this, a large surface area with ice/frost between it will require a hell of a lot more force to break open than a small one.

The bolt gun has an added advantage in this regard since in addition to a fairly small surface area the bolt handle gives a greater mechanical advantage when it comes to forcing a frozen/partially frozen action into working.

If I were to make an argument for a semi auto being good for polar climates it would be a G3(or an AK(given the choice I would pick the G3) and I would use medical tape(the really thin and light paper kind) over the ejection opening on either and the slot in the cocking handle tube on the G3.
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”