Mosin vs. Enfield vs. Mauser--which and why?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Mosin vs. Enfield vs. Mauser--which and why?

Post by Beowolf » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:44 pm

I saw this debate elsewhere and would love to get the input of my fellow ZSers.

Which classic rifle would you choose and why? Just curious about your impressions and justifications. :crazy:
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Das Sheep

Re: Mosin vs. Enfield vs. Mauser--which and why?

Post by Das Sheep » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:50 pm

The Greatest Sniper ever (and most of the top 100 snipers in history) used Mosins.

That said, this probably had something to do with the Russians having a shit ton of snipers.

However its also much older. Many of the best modern bolt action weapons take a LOT from the Mauser's action, and the Enfield is a fine rifle in its own right.

For me the Mosin is the best because I can afford one (and have one!) and the ammo is cheap. But really all three are good rifles that will usually perform as well or better than the shooter holding them.

I think that you can also get a rifle for under $400 that will eat modern ammo and out perform all three of those weapons. Savage rifles and the Ruger American rifles come to mind.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:26 pm

Das Sheep wrote:The Average Sniper ever (and most of the top 100 snipers in history) used Mosins.
Snipers don't pick their platform, they take what they're issued and they rock it. The Russians had a buttload of snipers, they were on the winning team, and they had a target rich permissive environment. From my limited reading, just about any reliable centerfire rifle capable of 2MOA would have enabled those Mosin snipers to wreak havoc.

I vote a Swedish Mauser if I can't have a K31. More than accurate enough, lighter recoiling than .303 or 7.92x57, and prettier wood. The Enfield has a larger mag, but in this case I like the Mauser better.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:27 pm

I have an AR-10, so I've at least got a long arm in my battery.

I do love the old rifles, though. And my dad used to hunt elk with an Enfield, so I've always thought they were the coolest guns ever. :) I would like to add an old bolt action some day, so the thought was on my mind. I just wish I would have thought like this years ago, though, when those old military rifles were cheap (like the Mosins still are). I know people who picked up very good condition Enfields 10-15 years ago for under $150. Can't find much of anything in decent shape--let alone complete--for under $300 now. :| And I don't hear nearly as much about the Mausers as the Enfields and Mosins, so I frequently forget to consider them.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
ZS Wiki

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:33 pm

I was looking at Mosins for sale at Cabellas for $149.99 and although I really do not need another firearm I was thinking of buying one...just cuz. You cannot beat a serviceable rifle for $149.99. The ammo is cheap and plentiful. I would suggest the Mosin.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:38 pm

$129 sale at Big 5 and Cabela's here. :) But...but...I really like the look of the Enfield.

I know, I know--I should get a Mosin while they're still cheap. Then get an Enfield when I can. Right? Right??
-
ZS Wiki

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:51 pm

Beowolf wrote:I have an AR-10, so I've at least got a long arm in my battery.

I do love the old rifles, though. And my dad used to hunt elk with an Enfield, so I've always thought they were the coolest guns ever. :) I would like to add an old bolt action some day, so the thought was on my mind. I just wish I would have thought like this years ago, though, when those old military rifles were cheap (like the Mosins still are). I know people who picked up very good condition Enfields 10-15 years ago for under $150. Can't find much of anything in decent shape--let alone complete--for under $300 now. :| And I don't hear nearly as much about the Mausers as the Enfields and Mosins, so I frequently forget to consider them.
http://www.classicfirearms.com/k31-rifles
Ammo is a bitch (gotta internets it, but it costs about what .308 does) but it's one of those rifles that everyone goes "WAIT FUCK HOW DOES THAT WORK" and they're damn accurate. Just under that $300 threshold.

Mosins. If you want one, fuck the Chinese stuff. Go Russian or look for a Finn. I have a Finn that never fails to disappoint accuracywise. I could probably replace the stock and throw a bayonet on and cut the groups in half, but by then I'd have been better off getting my $100 back out and getting something I enjoy shooting with a less shitty action. If I could buy a crate of the Russians for $90 apiece, I would just for the novelty, but there's too many fans now. I really don't see a reason to buy a Mosin if you're not A) Broke or B) a collector of Milsurp stuffs.

The only Mausers in the $300 or less range these days are Yugos, and again, why settle for second best? $400 gets you a German Mauser, but you could spend a bit more and get a much better rifle, albeit without the collector value. The exception to the rule is, again, the Husqvarna 6.5mm Mausers. Be aware that they take a Swedish Bayonet, not the standard Mauser Bayonets.

The last Enfield I saw form $300 or less was an Indian make, missing the magazine, and the wood was a bit ratty at $250. Supposed to be good rifles.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:56 pm

I have seen some fantastic condition Enfields, No.4 Mk.1 and Mk.2, on armslist for as low as $225--but nowhere near me! There was a matching numbers one in Phoenix for $225 that even had the sights (so many are missing those). I hated not being local to that.

Keep hoping I can come across some good deal. Good info on the Mosins, though. Thanks!

My dad's already got the reloading stuff for .303 is the thing...at least I'd be a small step ahead there.
-
ZS Wiki

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:00 am

Get an IDF mauser. Hands down, they have the coolest history of any rifle from WWII. Having both the Star of David and some half-way destroyed waffen marks on the same rifle is deeply cool to me, and as a bonus its chambered in 7.62 NATO.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:11 am

Personally, I like the SMLE. Why? The action is buttery-smooth and fast as fuck compared to the other two (IMHO, of course).
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

procyon

Post by procyon » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:03 am

I pick the Mauser. German k98.
Because I have a nice one, I like it, and have the supplies to load for it.

But the oldest boy did bring a Mosin and Enfield he picked up and we tried them out over Xmas.
I liked them also.
The Mosin really needs to have a load worked out for it and he has gotten the dies, bullets, cases, etc to start loading for it. It shot the surplus stuff he had, but poorly. 4-6 MOA was about the best you could hope for but the trigger was very crisp (compared to the AK and SKS triggers I've tried) with a clean bore and good crown. So it ought to shoot.
The Enfield just felt weird to me when you worked the action. I am just used to the feel of mauser actions and the enfield is just backwards. But it shot fairly well with the ammo he had and would hold 3 MOA without any problems. He is set up to load for it and his next visit should be educational on what he has put together for it.

But for me, Mauser.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:09 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Beowolf wrote:I have an AR-10, so I've at least got a long arm in my battery.

http://www.classicfirearms.com/k31-rifles
Ammo is a bitch (gotta internets it, but it costs about what .308 does) but it's one of those rifles that everyone goes "WAIT FUCK HOW DOES THAT WORK" and they're damn accurate. Just under that $300 threshold.

Mosins. If you want one, fuck the Chinese stuff. Go Russian or look for a Finn. I have a Finn that never fails to disappoint accuracywise. I could probably replace the stock and throw a bayonet on and cut the groups in half, but by then I'd have been better off getting my $100 back out and getting something I enjoy shooting with a less shitty action. If I could buy a crate of the Russians for $90 apiece, I would just for the novelty, but there's too many fans now. I really don't see a reason to buy a Mosin if you're not A) Broke or B) a collector of Milsurp stuffs.

The only Mausers in the $300 or less range these days are Yugos, and again, why settle for second best? $400 gets you a German Mauser, but you could spend a bit more and get a much better rifle, albeit without the collector value. The exception to the rule is, again, the Husqvarna 6.5mm Mausers. Be aware that they take a Swedish Bayonet, not the standard Mauser Bayonets.

The last Enfield I saw form $300 or less was an Indian make, missing the magazine, and the wood was a bit ratty at $250. Supposed to be good rifles.
Great, I didn't even know that the K31 existed and now I need to buy one....

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:19 am

About 10 years ago when the K31's were all over the surplus market (along with the surplus Swiss ammo, which was all match grade, BTW), there was some cool stuff going on. People were removing the buttplates from the rifle, and finding the hand receipt tag bearing the name and unit of the soldier the rifle was issued to. More than a couple tracked down the previous owners and contacted them to let them know their rifle was still alive and being well cared for.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:58 am

I'd go for the Enfield, specifically the U.S. M1917 version. Or maybe the Pattern 14.

The big reason is that they have aperature sights, which are so much better. I'd take the M1917 over the Pattern 14 simply because the .30-06 is a much more versatile (and common in the U.S.) round than the .303.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

thrillbilly

Post by thrillbilly » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:51 pm

I have three Mosins, one Mauser (with another on way) and I'd like to find a nice Enfield.

There is no reason to limit yourself...I like all guns.

Hard to argue with Mosin for economy...cheap rifles, cheap ammo...even the softpoint hunting ammo is cheaper then American calibers. Mine shoots about 3MO at 100 yards with irons, my eyes (not the best), and surplus ammo. That's plenty for any of my purposes.

Mauser is nice (7x57 is a lovely round) and feels smooth.

Enfields are purported to be the fastest bolt..and has large magazine. .303 is getting expensive though, although .308 is an option.

I love bolts, own mostly bolts...but for Zombie Day and it's aftermath....I dont want a milsurp bolt, I want a military style semi-auto but thats just me.

My bolt rifles will be used for hunting, arming family/friends if needed, and for defending a entrenched position like our farmhouses. I sure aint gonna be run an gunning with one lol

My deer rifles may be used in designated marksmen role...
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

scurvynick

Post by scurvynick » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:28 pm

Easily an Enfield for me. Highest mag capacity, fast action, and more importantly I think it's just more fun to shoot than Mosins or Mausers.

Flathead

Post by Flathead » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:29 pm

Find an Enfield and have it re-chambered to 7.62 X 54r. Ammo is cheap the action is usually pretty slick the way it comes. The only problems with the Enfield is the ammo availability and ammo price. Not a big fan of the cocking on closing.The last one I had was a 1944 longbranch with matching numbers other than the mag. Sold it to a collector for $375. Mosin's are fun to play with and can be less than 2 moa with a little work (shorten and re-crown barrel, trigger work, bed the action) and ammo is cheap. The bolt face on both rifles is close so a conversion is fairly simple. Mauser's are great guns and own several of them. They are mainly plinking guns for me now, some thing to take to the range when the modern semi-auto's get boring. I like the cock on opening of the mauser. For me it is just more of a natural feel to it than trying to force the action closed while trying to compress the firing pin spring.
Just my opinion though, and I have owned all three at the same time and have enjoyed all three.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:59 pm

I have a Russian Mosin with a hex receiver that is fairly accurate (for a mosin) and fun to shoot. For whatever reason, it is very rare to find Enfields and Mausers on this island. I've never seen a Mauser on the shelf, and an Enfield only once. But most stores have at least a couple of Mosins hiding near the back, and spam cans for sale. Ammo for either Enfields or Mauser or near non existent except for a few boxes of .303 soft point on shelves occasionally.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

iron_angel

Post by iron_angel » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:51 pm

For me, I like the Enfield. Fast action, 10 round magazine, detachable magazine, and at least on the No 4 Mk 1, better sights than the Mosin or Mauser. Well, I think so anyway - don't care for the Mosin's sights a bit. Also doesn't kick as hard as the Mauser or Mosin, IMHO. Equally, the round isn't quite as hot and isn't quite as flat-shooting, but at any kind of practical iron sight range, that doesn't matter. It'll still take most any game animal in North America if you do your part. (And anything it won't, I suspect the other two won't cut it either.)

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:47 pm

I'll be getting an Enfield very soon. They local gun shop is on the hunt for me. I saw one they got in today, complete with bayonet, and he said he'd have more next weekend. So I'll get to pick. AWESOME.
-
ZS Wiki

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:22 pm

If you are going to use any of those rifles with the original iron sights, choose one with a peep sight.

Other than that I can vouch for a couple rifles due to personal experience.

First is the No.4 Lee-Enfield. Sure it's unconventional compared to a Mauser, but in a good way! 10 round detachable magazine, best peep sights, smooth short action.

Second is an oddball no-one has mentioned yet, the Spanish FR8. Think of it as a poor mans 'scout rifle'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FR8

Peep sight, mauser action, 7.62 NATO caliber, short barrel, flash suppressor. And it can even fire rifle grenades! (of course that requires rifle grenades and rifle grenade launching blanks)
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:49 am

None of the above. United States Rifle, cal .30, Model of 1917 - aka M1917 Enfield.

Take the best features of the SMLE (cock-on-closing bolt, appropriately positioned safety) and the best features of the Mauser 98 (large claw extractor, beefy bolt, two forward lugs) then "Americanize" it by chambering the rifle in .30-06 and putting decent sights on the rifle... total win. That is, provided you've got enough upper body strength - naked and unloaded, it's over nine pounds.

...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:27 am

A thought, those are all venerable military rifles who have been replaced by the new kids on the block. Oneidea besides the shooting aspect, is the collectible part.

On shooting, the Mosin probably has the least expensive ammo on the market right now.

8mm mauser is varies

.303 is funny, on year may be very inexpensive the next years premium in cost.

Privi Partisan makes some reasonably price rounds and brass. Reloading helps to keep the cost down, depending on how much one shoots.

Not sure to the accuracy, it is said that a British squadie with a Enfield could place almost as much fire down range as a GI with a Garand. The mag were not so much used like today, mostly stayed in place and loaded with stripper clips.

Cost wise, Mosins tend to be the least expensive.

One Enfield that I have is a 1914 BSA training rifle, full everything Enfield but in .22 LR.

Other thing is the Ishapore Enfield, made in India. One can find them in .303 and .308.

There are lots of different Mausers out there. The 6.5 Swede is a nice choice. K98, if the price is not to bad, etc.

A suggestion, if you find one in original conditions, keep it that way. They are getting to be more rare. Sporterized version of military rifles tend to loose value.

Other choice besides P14 and M1917 , the venerable 1903 Springfield, they tend to be spendy like the M1917.

On Mosins, if you can find a Finnish model, they are a little more and nicer than the Russian ones. Also there are lot of Mosin carbine out there, for the person who wants a shorter rifle.
Zombies don't ski.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:34 am

Don't shoot commercial .308 out of an ishapore enfield.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”