$399 new AR-15

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Das Sheep

$399 new AR-15

Post by Das Sheep » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:40 pm

http://www.slickguns.com/product/comple ... lete-upper

A slick guns deal that gets you an upper and lower for $399 total.

Its a poly lower, but it seems like a pretty good deal for a starter AR.

Passing on this deal to you all and also looking for feed back on if yall think its a good one.

-Das

Kommander

Re: $399 new AR-15

Post by Kommander » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:00 am

I am trying to figure out how PTAC can possibly offer uppers at that price, even if they are not the greatest. This reminds me of the $300 SAR/WSAR days of 10 years or so ago, and those guns were made from partially used imported parts and then assembled by Crack Addled Monkeys, not made out of all new US manufactured parts.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:16 am

Kommander wrote:I am trying to figure out how PTAC can possibly offer uppers at that price, even if they are not the greatest.

There's a cat urine smell that you can't get rid of.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:37 am

Kommander wrote:I am trying to figure out how PTAC can possibly offer uppers at that price, even if they are not the average. This reminds me of the $300 SAR/WSAR days of 10 years or so ago, and those guns were made from partially used imported parts and then assembled by Crack Addled Monkeys, not made out of all new US manufactured parts.
Unlined barrel, likely bought in bulk and not of exceptional quality. Aluminum gas blocks are a popular cost cutting measure, but not common with A-frame fronts. Charging handles from China, gas block likely too. BCG material unlisted, likely cheap and no-name. God knows if it's staked or not.

If I had to guess, $100 for the BCG, and charging handle, $65 for the barrel, $20 for the upper itself, $4 for the forward assist, $2 for the handguards, $35 for the gas system and barrel nut (max) and $30 for labor at most. Total cost, round to $250, and assume they were selling them for $400-ish back when the market was tight and just sold of the remainder. Notice thye're not ins tock now, and likely won't be.

FWIW, I think $100 for the poly lower and commercial stock kit is about $25 too high.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:02 pm

At this point, I haven't heard anything negative about the PTAC stuff. They had a Black Friday special with a basic upper for $189, and cosmetic blem BCGs for $69. I picked up one of the BCGs, but not one of the uppers. A lot of people have them now. I don't know how they are holding up, but if they were total garbage, there would be all kinds of screaming by now. The polymer lowers, on the other hand, just aren't on my list of favorite things. They normally work. And they are very inexpensive. But I keep seeing them with the buffer tower cracked off. I am sure it is a small percentage, but still. The only polymer lower I trust is the CAV-15, as it isn't just a polymer clone of a regular lower. If you are just getting into guns, and want an AR, I might consider this deal. Especially if you aren't planning on using it that much. Let's face it, there are a lot of people like that out there. They buy an AR just to have one "in case". But they never really use it. For that kind of person, this could be worthwhile. If they put more than a couple hundred rounds through it in 10 years, I would be surprised. I say go for it if that is what you are looking for. Spend your money on more practical things like emergency supplies.

-Mb

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:10 pm

I do not have an AR and have been looking at buying one or buying everything separately and building.... I'm just wondering if they come back in stock would it be worth while to purchase this to have now. Then overtime replace parts as I have more expendable income to spend on it.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:19 pm

Mountainsquid wrote:
Kommander wrote:I am trying to figure out how PTAC can possibly offer uppers at that price, even if they are not the greatest.

There's a cat urine smell that you can't get rid of.
:clap: :rofl:

Supposedly the old Hi-point carbines had a dirty liter box smell that would come from the receiver when you shot it a lot.

Still $400 for an AR. As long as it functions and is reliable, I could deal with a some urine smell.

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:53 pm

Halfapint wrote:I do not have an AR and have been looking at buying one or buying everything separately and building.... I'm just wondering if they come back in stock would it be worth while to purchase this to have now. Then overtime replace parts as I have more expendable income to spend on it.
For about $30 more, it looks like you can get one of PSA's blem lowers, complete, with magpul furniture. I would do that instead of the polymer lower in a heart beat if I needed one. As for replacing the parts over time, you can, but at this price, it is actually worth getting just as a beater rifle. When you have more income, just relegate this one to a back-up. I did that with my first couple of Model 1 Sales guns. In the mean time, you have a functional firearm that you can practice with. And decide which features you like or don't like for your next one.

-Mb

(edit) While PSA is out of these at the moment, they run these on special fairly often. I would just keep an eye on their sight for them, especially before weekends and holidays.
Last edited by gun toting monkeyboy on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Halfapint wrote:I do not have an AR and have been looking at buying one or buying everything separately and building.... I'm just wondering if they come back in stock would it be worth while to purchase this to have now. Then overtime replace parts as I have more expendable income to spend on it.
arpartsfinder.com will help you find cheap lowers. Anderson is routinely the low end, or Aero precision.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:16 pm

gun toting monkeyboy wrote:
For about $30 more, it looks like you can get one of PSA's blem lowers, complete, with magpul furniture. I would do that instead of the polymer lower in a heart beat if I needed one. As for replacing the parts over time, you can, but at this price, it is actually worth getting just as a beater rifle. When you have more income, just relegate this one to a back-up. I did that with my first couple of Model 1 Sales guns. In the mean time, you have a functional firearm that you can practice with. And decide which features you like or don't like for your next one.

-Mb

(edit) While PSA is out of these at the moment, they run these on special fairly often. I would just keep an eye on their sight for them, especially before weekends and holidays.
Cool I was kinda thinking of just getting it as a practice rifle. Something to learn the ins and outs of an AR while not dumping a lot of money into. Thanks for the idea
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
arpartsfinder.com will help you find cheap lowers. Anderson is routinely the low end, or Aero precision.
Yep, been trolling over there just researching, looks like even from there a "good quality" AR built from low/mid range stuff is still around $600-$700.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:22 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Yep, been trolling over there just researching, looks like even from there a "good quality" AR built from low/mid range stuff is still around $600-$700.
And now you see why I question the $300 upper.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:45 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Halfapint wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
And now you see why I question the $300 upper.
LOL.... I am questioning a $300 upper.... haha but for something that cheap just having one to practice with is I think beneficial. If nothing as I said I'd be something I can practice disasembling cleaning, and getting to know an AR... A shitty AR, but an AR none the less...

I kinda think of it as your first car, you don't generally go buy a Porsche as a first car, you typically get a used Honda.....

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Post by Skull_Hide » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:54 pm

I bought a PTAC Mellonite upper with the SSG2 Midwest rail to add to the collection, the thing is built pretty well actually. I ran about 500 rounds of brown bear when I first got it and didn't have one problem with the upper. Not bad IMO. For a cheap, cheap build there is nothing wrong with them so unless you're the type who thinks his shit don't stink I wouldn't count it out. Seems properly staked.

However!

The lower, the all Poly with like 5 metal parts total I wouldn't go there. I used a Plum Crazy lower which is the EXACT same mold as the lower listed there and it broke at the 150 round mark and had to switch to a Bushmaster lower to keep shooting. What happened was the retaining pin for the buffer tube rocked loose and now won't retain so the pin pops out and blocks the bolt carrier from entering the buffer tube. Even if repaired I would still be hesitant. A mill-spec lower is worth the cost.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:56 pm

You do know you can run an AR without the buffer retaining pin or the spring that goes under it, right? It is a PITA when you open the gun up, but not too bad.

And yes, this is a very good way to get into ARs without spending an arm and a leg. If you go with an aluminum lower, even one of their "blem" lowers, it will last you for a very, very long time. All of the rest of the parts you can order online. You can test out what features you like or dislike on the cheap gun. And you can just get a complete upper from a better company (like an actual PSA, or BCM) when you have the funding, and use that on your current lower. The one thing I MUST warn you about with having an extra upper is that you won't have it for long. It won't vanish or anything. You will just end up getting another lower to go with it. Trust me. That is how these insidious things work. Black rifles are a disease...

-Mb

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:10 pm

Skull_Hide wrote:What happened was the retaining pin for the buffer tube rocked loose and now won't retain so the pin pops out and blocks the bolt carrier from entering the buffer tube.
gun toting monkeyboy wrote:You do know you can run an AR without the buffer retaining pin or the spring that goes under it, right? It is a PITA when you open the gun up, but not too bad.
While correct, if the pin isn't staying in place because the buffer tube is "rocking", that's not a gun I would use either.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:55 pm

gun toting monkeyboy wrote:The one thing I MUST warn you about with having an extra upper is that you won't have it for long. It won't vanish or anything. You will just end up getting another lower to go with it. Trust me. That is how these insidious things work. Black rifles are a disease...

-Mb
My fellow primate speaks the truth. It's a terrible thing, oh so terrible. :ohdear:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Post by Skull_Hide » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:05 pm

gun toting monkeyboy wrote:You do know you can run an AR without the buffer retaining pin or the spring that goes under it, right? It is a PITA when you open the gun up, but not too bad.

Wow, why that never connected to me. I guess I'll run the lower till something else breaks on it. I will say though, the trigger isn't too bad on the Plum Crazy lower, breaks clean and seems fairly light.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:56 am

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
gun toting monkeyboy wrote:The one thing I MUST warn you about with having an extra upper is that you won't have it for long. It won't vanish or anything. You will just end up getting another lower to go with it. Trust me. That is how these insidious things work. Black rifles are a disease...

-Mb
My fellow primate speaks the truth. It's a terrible thing, oh so terrible. :ohdear:
I really don't think that's a problem, kinda sounds like tattoos..... You can't have just one.

Thanks for the advice, I'm not going to say any terrible puns like "I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this" and get it. Haha oops I guess I did.

prtp3warrior

Post by prtp3warrior » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:06 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Kommander wrote:I am trying to figure out how PTAC can possibly offer uppers at that price, even if they are not the average.

If I had to guess, $100 for the BCG, and charging handle,
I purchased a PTAC upper with melonite coated barrel. It is quite nice. For Edit: 299 I got an upper with a Midwest Industries ssg12 rail and melonite barrel that has been 100% reliable through couple hundred rounds.

Got an MPI BCG from AIMsurplus for 79.99 Shipped.

slapped it on a 150$ lower build and done.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:09 pm

prtp3warrior wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Kommander wrote:I am trying to figure out how PTAC can possibly offer uppers at that price, even if they are not the average.

If I had to guess, $100 for the BCG, and charging handle,
I purchased a PTAC upper with melonite coated barrel. It is quite nice. For Edit: 299 I got an upper with a Midwest Industries ssg12 rail and melonite barrel that has been 100% reliable through couple hundred rounds.

Got an MPI BCG from AIMsurplus for 79.99 Shipped.

slapped it on a 150$ lower build and done.
Which is what worries me. Assume the barrel is about $90 (melonite costs a bit more than the cheapeast unlined stuff) and that's a $90 rail system at the minimum. So the upper, assembly, test fire/QC, gas system, (muzzle device?) and all has to cost less than $119 for them to make a profit.

prtp3warrior

Post by prtp3warrior » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:42 pm

Understood Doctorr....I do not care if they make a profit :)

Perhaps I am test firing it for them so far it has passed...jk mine came with 2 paper targets showing the test fire groups...

IDK. These rifles (ARs) are essentially parts of a whole anyway, I am quite satisfied.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:59 pm

Id pick one of these up solely for the purpose of a beater woods gun for a friend...

"hey numbers? Can we barrow a rifle or two for our trip"
"Here asshole, shove mags in your pocket and buy your own damn ammo"

^^ Note this has actually happened more then once :x
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:52 pm

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... roupid=750

In stock $529 (shipped) Spike's MOE middy, ready to rock and roll.

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:35 am

I made the mistake of following that link and then browsing around AIM. I found this. Who is "Special Ops Tactical" and why is their logo an F-117 with wings or flames coming out the back end?

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”