What issues to look for in AK47 O-PAP M70 model?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

What issues to look for in AK47 O-PAP M70 model?

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:56 pm

My new Zastava M70 O-PAP is on its way to my FFL from Bud's. I read there are all sorts of potential issues that these rifles may come with. What sorts of things should I inspect for when I go to pick it up?
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Shottiepippen

Re: What issues to look for in AK47 O-PAP M70 model?

Post by Shottiepippen » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:16 pm

CipherNameRaVeN wrote:My new Zastava M70 O-PAP is on its way to my FFL from Bud's. I read there are all sorts of potential issues that these rifles may come with. What sorts of things should I inspect for when I go to pick it up?
Search YouTube. Plenty of reviews and tips.
Check the sights for cant(not being straight), some is ok as almost all ak's have this, remove dust cover and strip the bolt and check the internals and check how the magazines fit. If this is your first AK rifle and your not sure, take someone who has an AK and let them help you. Century has been putting out some really good o-pap + n-pap rifles since beginning of summer 2013, and if there was an issue they are quick to address the issue, if it's something minor your better off just correcting it yourself to avoid the wait.

Captain Hero

Post by Captain Hero » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:44 am

Zastava makes good rifles. Many issues that people bitch about can be directly related to user error. The Serbian guns dont have chrome lined barrels, but they tend to shoot a tad better than those that do have them. How much better depends on the shooter. Century really doesnt do much to them other than the 922 crap.

Clean it, inspect it for canted sights and shoot the piss outta it.
If you live nothing, you are nothing

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:17 am

I've owned the N-PAP, the Yugo underfolder, and the O-PAP. The Yugo guns are some of the best AKs out there. Only thing to look out for is they don't have chrome lined barrels. I don't trust the non-corrosive on the comboc ammo so just clean the gun with hot water after shooting it. Be aware, they generally weight 1-2 lbs more than the regular AK, due to a heavier profile barrel and receiver, so do you push ups. :lol:

I found them to be the most accurate AK, tightly built and with the G2 trigger I really liked it. The grip doesn't blow my skirt up though. The furniture is unfinished so you may want to wrestle it off and do some finishing on it. I did.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:31 am

Gingerbread Man wrote: I found them to be the most accurate AK, tightly built and with the G2 trigger I really liked it. The grip doesn't blow my skirt up though. The furniture is unfinished so you may want to wrestle it off and do some finishing on it. I did.
Can you post pics? I am planning to do the same.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Honey_Badger

Post by Honey_Badger » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:26 pm

I got mine with in the last 3 months and I haven't found any of the problems people talk about the interwebz.

The WASRs have canted sights not the Zastavas and WASR has adressed the problem.
Check the barrel, I have heard of some not being lined, I did not have this problem
If you're doing your pushups, do the Spetznaz style and use the rifle as a platorm and balance on the magazine
I agree that most issues are user error when pairing ammo to the rifle
I dont know about furniture, I got the poly stuff from the factory and replaced it same day with the rail system

IMO these are the best "bang for your buck" rifle available period. just unwrap, brush the barrel and go to town
I am truely hated

AK47 above all others

ThumperX
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend, The Walking Dead TV series, WWZ

Post by ThumperX » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:30 pm

Looks like a winner.
Rock AKA Thumper X
"If it shuffles like a zombie, stinks like a zombie, and moans like a zombie, make sure it isn't your mom, then shoot it in the f***ing head." - Rock

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:31 pm

You won't find non-cosmetic problems with your O-PAP. There simply aren't consistent issues with them. If you do find an issue, it's a one-off, making your rifle the exception.

If you want to be safe, check to make sure everything looks straight (from the top down, dust cover to muzzle) and function check it. And then buy ammo and enjoy.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

hondo

Post by hondo » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:20 pm

First congrats on the purchase, second most of horror stories coming from times of the first Century made Yugo AK's from the parts kits, your rifle is made by Zastava and made compliant by Century most of it comes back to operator mistake as in taking rifle from the gun shop straight to gun range without cleaning and when rifle acts up they take it apart and realize that metal shavings are in the action. So clean your rifle before the trip to the gun range.

To put your mind at ease Beretta and Zastava had longtime standing cooperation , Zastava build side by side and over under shotguns for Beretta for domestic market those guns were marked as Zastava/Beretta and for international market they were marked Beretta.

As far as furniture if it is unfinished than all you need is some sandpaper, linseed oil and steel wool.

CipherNameRaVeN

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:28 pm

I love my O-Pap. Here is mine with some mods and wood work:

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

retiredlawman

Post by retiredlawman » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:04 pm

Great thread! I own a Zastavz N-PAP. The only thing I disliked about the rifle was the stock. I could not get down on it well enough to use the iron sights comfortably. I switched the stock out for a Tapco and it is now everything I want. The trigger is very good with barley any creep and breaks at around 3.5 lbs. When I first started shooting it, I had to be judicious on the trigger or I would trip it before I was ready. It is very accurate, and has never malfunctioned. I shoot Golden Tiger ammo and the Zastava seems to like it.

If you like AK platform rifles, you will like the Zastava.

thrillbilly

Post by thrillbilly » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:19 pm

main issues are weight and non-standard parts.

I like my m70B1 a lot because its stupid accurate for an AK, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have went with standard AKM instead.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:16 pm

thrillbilly wrote:main issues are weight and non-standard parts.

I like my m70B1 a lot because its stupid accurate for an AK, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have went with standard AKM instead.
That is precisely why I went with the standard models.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”