Importance of a sling on a rifle

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Importance of a sling on a rifle

Post by MaconCJ7 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:05 pm

I didn't read it all, but I throw this out:

Slings take horrible pictures. If I lay all of my gear out for a pic (not likely), I'll remove slings to clean it up. As it stands, I remove some slings just for storage. Adjustments are not quick on several of them, and a quick remove/replace saves a bit of trouble and cleans up the safe a bit. I dunno about your safe, but mine doesn't double as a survival bunker so I don't have walls of guns. I have a wall, along that wall is a safe, in that safe are firearms and other stuff I don't want stolen/burnt/flood damaged. It gets crowded quick and having everything "carry ready" is stupid and cumbersome. I may be a dick to many folks, I do what I can to not be a dick to myself.

White Bear

Post by White Bear » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:19 pm

I'm bumping this thread because I was looking for a new sling and notice Ares Armour has their Husky sling on sale (as of right now).
http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/aahuskey2pt
If you need a sling, it's a decent one. Your long-arms should have a sling.
I'm a normal guy with nothing to hide.

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:19 am

White Bear wrote:I'm bumping this thread because I was looking for a new sling and notice Ares Armour has their Husky sling on sale (as of right now).
http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/aahuskey2pt
If you need a sling, it's a decent one. Your long-arms should have a sling.
I'm a huge fan of this sling. Lots of guys here run it. It just works.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:15 pm

By my reckoning, the three most common two-point slings are the Ares, Vickers/Blue Force and VTAC. I have always been partial to VTAC slings but I am open to trying something new. Is there a particular reason for liking any of these? I have googled and searched and every forum seems to have a favorite but I am not seeing much difference (Doo-dads excepted).

Thanks,
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:32 pm

I'll probably catch hate for suggesting this, but I'm quite fond of the Condor "Speedy" two-point sling. It's ridiculously simple to use, rugged, and inexpensive. I'm not sure how it stacks up to others mentioned but my experience with it has been positive.

My favorite sling is the 1907 sling. (I know, weirdo right?) For any medium to long range rifle, one would be remiss to go without one. They're ridiculously handy.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:58 pm

RedneckRifleWorks wrote:I have been lurking for quite some time and while viewing many of the picture threads here in the firearm section have noticed a lot of the rifles and shotguns that have been pictured do not have slings. Have people made a conscious decision to take this course of action? If so I am very curious to know the thought behind it. Myself I have always thought that every rifle needs a sling be it a M.B.R. or a simple .22 plinker, my reasoning is that there will always be a time when you need two hands to do something and I do not want my rifle to be separated from me while I am doing it and that there may be times when it would be more appropriate to be carrying a slung rifle for appearances than carrying at the ready. But then again I may be missing something so I am interested in others opinions on the subject.

Brian
This is a specialty sling designed (with training) to help the shooter hold the rifle steady:

http://www.thewilderness.com/ching-sling/
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:35 pm

Dabster wrote:By my reckoning, the three most common two-point slings are the Ares, Vickers/Blue Force and VTAC. I have always been partial to VTAC slings but I am open to trying something new. Is there a particular reason for liking any of these? I have googled and searched and every forum seems to have a favorite but I am not seeing much difference (Doo-dads excepted).

Thanks,
You can think of the Ares like a VCAS that's actually comfortable to wear :rofl:

But seriously the MkII is like a combination of both
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:22 pm

Dave's 100% right: The VCAS has a good slide adjustment mechanism, but it's made out of industrial trucking cargo webbing. You could use that shit to debride wounds, and it will absolutely grind the skin off your collar/neck after a day of using it with a t-shirt.

The VTAC, by comparison, is made out of silky seat belt webbing that is super comfortable, but the adjustment mechanism looks like someone raped a bunch of ALICE packs. It's fucking terrible. Tightening a VTAC is great, but releasing the spring clip to loosen it is about as easy as scratching your right elbow with your right hand.

The Ares sling gives you a good adjustment mechanism, and silky seat belt webbing. It is the clear winner in my mind.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:31 am

I don't have nearly as much time behind a rifle as crypto and Dave, but I do like my VCAS. I can see how it would rub you raw after extended use. For HD and range use I think its fine. I am going to check out the Ares sling, though. Also considering a Magpul MS1 for my pistol build.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:18 pm

crypto wrote:Dave's 100% right: The VCAS has a good slide adjustment mechanism, but it's made out of industrial trucking cargo webbing. You could use that shit to debride wounds, and it will absolutely grind the skin off your collar/neck after a day of using it with a t-shirt.

The VTAC, by comparison, is made out of silky seat belt webbing that is super comfortable, but the adjustment mechanism looks like someone raped a bunch of ALICE packs. It's fucking terrible. Tightening a VTAC is great, but releasing the spring clip to loosen it is about as easy as scratching your right elbow with your right hand.

The Ares sling gives you a good adjustment mechanism, and silky seat belt webbing. It is the clear winner in my mind.
Never had any problems or difficulty loosening my old VTAC? It had a pull cord with a hard rubber outer tube attached to the release. Just pull the cord and it slipped loose easily.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:47 pm

crypto wrote:Dave's 100% right: The VCAS has a good slide adjustment mechanism, but it's made out of industrial trucking cargo webbing. You could use that shit to debride wounds, and it will absolutely grind the skin off your collar/neck after a day of using it with a t-shirt.

Thank you for explaining that. I may try one someday but as I want one in foliage and I am very/happily used to VTAC (And the prices with shipping are comparable) -a VTAC it will be.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:48 pm

The first time I saw a VTAC, I actually thought someone had repurposed an ALICE ruck strap. I was baffled.

I played around with NXP's Ares sling a bit, but couldn't get it to behave like I wanted it to.

Still running the VCAS's on my AK's, and still like them. The QD swivels suck, tho. Damn things are not reliable for holding a weapon. Saw GG&G QD swivels on LAPG, anyone run those? Any other suggestions?
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:23 pm

The main problem with the Ares sling is that it is made by Ares. I am local to them, and they are Grade A douchebags. Don't let their "We're standing up to the ATF" schtick fool you. They had a letter from the ATF telling them that the receivers they were selling as 80% lowers were 100% lowers. So what did Ares do? They sold them off to the customers without warning them that there might be an issue. Then when they got busted, they tried wrapping themselves up in the flag and pretending that they were champions of the 2nd Amendment. This is the same group that sold thousands of 80% lowers that they didn't have to customers during the height of the last panic. They charged all of their credit cards, then refused to give refunds for months. In fact, they refused to answer their phones or email for almost a year. Don't give these guys any business. They are bad, bad news. The sooner they go under, the better it will be for the rest of us.

-Mb (who has been burned by them on several occasions)

eeb

Post by eeb » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:01 pm

Their (and most others) 80%s are damn near the price of a 100% at the LGS. Guess I don't really see the point. I mean, at $50 or less, I might snag one, but mostly I see them at $70-80, might as well add another twenty and get one ready to go.
Last edited by eeb on Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:39 am

I have a Savvy Sniper Quad X sling on my AK and would highly recommend folks looking for a good sling consider checking out Savvy Sniper. http://savvysniper.com/

This is the video that brought Savvy Sniper slings to my attention.

"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:57 pm

For me, this is simply a matter of utility & common sense.

If I am going to have to carry the rifle for any length of time or distance, it gets a sling. So that rules out the gun range, since that's basically home to car to range and back again. If there's anything more than that, a sling is on the buy list.

It doesn't have to be the Combat-Proven Sling of Bad-Assery +5, but it better hold my rifle well enough that I can use two hands.
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:46 pm

gun toting monkeyboy wrote:The main problem with the Ares sling is that it is made by Ares. I am local to them, and they are Grade A douchebags. Don't let their "We're standing up to the ATF" schtick fool you. They had a letter from the ATF telling them that the receivers they were selling as 80% lowers were 100% lowers. So what did Ares do? They sold them off to the customers without warning them that there might be an issue. Then when they got busted, they tried wrapping themselves up in the flag and pretending that they were champions of the 2nd Amendment. This is the same group that sold thousands of 80% lowers that they didn't have to customers during the height of the last panic. They charged all of their credit cards, then refused to give refunds for months. In fact, they refused to answer their phones or email for almost a year. Don't give these guys any business. They are bad, bad news. The sooner they go under, the better it will be for the rest of us.

I like Dimitri. Even if I didn't, I would still use a Huskey sling because I think it's the best option. I use gear made all the time manufactured by people I personally dislike. Making high quality gear doesn't mean you have to be best friends with everyone or vice versa.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:36 pm

gun toting monkeyboy wrote:The main problem with the Ares sling is that it is made by Ares. I am local to them, and they are Grade A douchebags. Don't let their "We're standing up to the ATF" schtick fool you. They had a letter from the ATF telling them that the receivers they were selling as 80% lowers were 100% lowers. So what did Ares do? They sold them off to the customers without warning them that there might be an issue. Then when they got busted, they tried wrapping themselves up in the flag and pretending that they were champions of the 2nd Amendment. This is the same group that sold thousands of 80% lowers that they didn't have to customers during the height of the last panic. They charged all of their credit cards, then refused to give refunds for months. In fact, they refused to answer their phones or email for almost a year. Don't give these guys any business. They are bad, bad news. The sooner they go under, the better it will be for the rest of us.

I've actually done a bunch of business with them and never had a problem. As a matter of fact, the next-to-last order (a pre-order) came in weeks earlier than they had initially told me it would. My most recent order (placed on 12/23) showed up just days later, which shocked me, considering it being during the holidays.

As to their sling, it's the shit. By far the best of comfort and usability. The adjustment works great, even after it's gotten all sweaty and stiff.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:35 pm

You guys may not have had problems with them. But thousands of people got burned by them with their selling 80% lowers that they didn't have during the last panic. They charged people's credit cards up front, then did everything they could to avoid refunding anybody anything. Even though Ares didn't have any 80% lowers to sell for almost a year. And then the lowers they did send out to people were a totally different make.

Then their was the Rudius mess. They had an 80% 1911 that was "about to be released". They presold hundreds of them to a group buy on Calguns. $25,000 worth, if I recall correctly. Then they did the same thing with bumping the time table. And then they turned out some half-assed grip for it that didn't work, and eventually had to be replaced. I have one that I fully machined at their shop that still doesn't work.

And lest anybody forget, this is the same group of clowns that brought the 80% lower movement to the attention of the politicians here in California by advertizing "Build your own untraceable firearm" all over the radio. I liked Ares as a small business long ago. But their behavior, and their "screw everybody else, I am going to make a quick buck" attitude has totally turned me off to them. When a company turns off their phone and email for months because they don't want to hear from people demanding their money back, there is something fundamentally wrong with them.

-Mb

clarence

Post by clarence » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:10 pm

What does ZS think of the Tactical Intervention Specislists Quick Cuff Rifle Sling?

I've ordered one for my Tikka, but I haven't played with it yet.
It's not looting if you leave a note.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:58 pm

I have a couple Ares Armor slings lying around per recommendation and they work great. People at classes and shooting days always ask me what it is and where to get one.

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:02 pm

I like Dimitri. Even if I didn't, I would still use a Huskey sling because I think it's the best option. I use gear made all the time manufactured by people I personally dislike. Making high quality gear doesn't mean you have to be best friends with everyone or vice versa.
Ditto. The issue with the supposedly not 80% lowers is well known and was debunked [not that it stopped the ATF from everstepping their bounds and raiding ARES. (Didn't they have to return a bunch of lowers (and misplaced a few somehow?!?!?)]

If you're wondering abou the ARES sling, here's a really good video:

Huskey Amentum Slider Sling Transition Video: http://youtu.be/A_sfyw-mOMc
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:20 pm

If you absolutely cannot do business with Ares, Botach makes a house brand sling which is a fairly overt knock off but uses 1.25" stiff webbing. It is available with the slider and the loop, but they kind of don't know what they're doing with them:

This one has the slider and adjusts like the Ares. Not loop on the slider.
http://www.botach.com/kley-zion-univers ... lar-sling/

This one has the loop on the slider but doesn't work like the ARES sling:
http://www.botach.com/kley-zion-univers ... just-loop/

In theory, you could put the two together for $30, but you still wouldn't have any padding.
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”