Importance of a sling on a rifle

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RedneckRifleWorks

Importance of a sling on a rifle

Post by RedneckRifleWorks » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:08 am

I have been lurking for quite some time and while viewing many of the picture threads here in the firearm section have noticed a lot of the rifles and shotguns that have been pictured do not have slings. Have people made a conscious decision to take this course of action? If so I am very curious to know the thought behind it. Myself I have always thought that every rifle needs a sling be it a M.B.R. or a simple .22 plinker, my reasoning is that there will always be a time when you need two hands to do something and I do not want my rifle to be separated from me while I am doing it and that there may be times when it would be more appropriate to be carrying a slung rifle for appearances than carrying at the ready. But then again I may be missing something so I am interested in others opinions on the subject.

Brian

Das Sheep

Re: Importance of a sling on a rifle

Post by Das Sheep » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:00 am

I think a sling and a light are two very important items for any rifle.

I know personally that I have a bunch of various slings because they are usually fairly cheap and there are so many different kinds for different uses.

Personally though I don't keep them on my rifles normally unless I am going to the range to practice shooting in standing or kneeling.

Same thing with lights.

I don't keep batteries in most of my flashlights except my EDC pocket flashlight and my bedside light. So I don't keep my weapon lights on my weapons.

I think most of us would put a sling on our rifle if we needed to 'bug out' with it, or needed to use it in a real defensive situation.

Not sure any of my weapons have been pictured with a sling or a light, but thats the reason why if they have not.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:30 am

All of my rifles have slings. I wouldn't regularly train with a rifle without one and consider it a pain in the ass to carry a rifle without a sling for any length of time. I would suggest that most people without slings on their rifles either do not shoot very much or shoot mainly from a bench. Watching someone transition from a rifle with no sling to a pistol is kinda funny in a sad way.

ETA I am not suggesting that everyone with pics of a longarm with no sling don't shoot very much. The longarm could be a collector piece or a sling not necessary to the owners intended use, or something.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:54 am

I was taught to use a sling looped around my forearm to help steady the rifle when firing.
I use it for that and convenience of carry

Alpha-17
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident Evil: Afterlife
28 Weeks Later

Post by Alpha-17 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:31 am

For range ans safe queens, a sling is not really all that important. For any rifle that is one is expecting to put to good, practical use, a sling is crucial. All of my weapons have slings, and the ones that I use on a regular basis, or could see me carrying when my life depended on them all have tactical slings of some sort. (typically a V-Tac sling). I know there are a few people out there that don't care for slings, but to me, they're an important component.
THE LATEST AND GREATEST IN TACTICAL GEAR WON'T SAVE YOUR LIFE...... BUT, HEY, WHAT'S WRONG WITH SURVIVING IN STYLE?

7.62 NATO/.308 Fanboy

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:39 am

Wolf Hook!

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:23 am

Redeyes wrote:All of my rifles have slings. I wouldn't regularly train with a rifle without one and consider it a pain in the ass to carry a rifle without a sling for any length of time. I would suggest that most people without slings on their rifles either do not shoot very much or shoot mainly from a bench. Watching someone transition from a rifle with no sling to a pistol is kinda funny in a sad way.

ETA I am not suggesting that everyone with pics of a longarm with no sling don't shoot very much. The longarm could be a collector piece or a sling not necessary to the owners intended use, or something.
gundogs wrote:I was taught to use a sling looped around my forearm to help steady the rifle when firing.
I use it for that and convenience of carry
This and this. My Dad was a Marine and taught me how to shoot with a sling. I was crazy accurate shooting from a standing position while using a sling when I was young, but even with my midlife bad eyes and muscles, I'm still not too shabby. There is a significant improvement with accuracy when using a sling. Its funny when I notice people constantly shooting rifles from the bench. I only do that if I'm sighting in, or I am testing some new ammo or rifle. You can't say your a good shot with a rifle if you only shoot from the bench with a rest. There no benches when you are in the woods hunting or in a self defense situation.

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:37 pm

They come without slings?
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:32 pm

ALL of my rifles and shotguns have slings and lights, except for the bird gun, no light on that one. BUT, the only one that almost always has the sling attached at all times is my M4-gery. And that's because it never ever goes in the safe. The only time I take the sling off of it is when I'm in the truck on the ranch. I've missed several hogs after getting the sling hung up on the gear shift. I take the slings off of the others when they go in the safe. It can be a cluster trying to pull them out of the safe with slings everywhere.

And to go back to your original question, I'm willing to bet that most folks on here have slings on their rifles. They just take them off for pictures.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:50 pm

I just covered this very thing over on my new blog
http://www.outcastprepper.com/?p=68
Short version, pick the right sling for the weapon and the mission. There's lots of choices, if you don't like it, pick another one.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

RedneckRifleWorks

Post by RedneckRifleWorks » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:04 pm

I figured on some of the nicer/collectable rifles that there were no slings cause of their intended use. I personally don't own any range or safe guns at this time but I cant blame anyone who has the $$ to do it for doing it (someday I might) I just thought I was missing something. Thanks for the input and responses to a FNG.

Brian

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:07 pm

You must have a sling if you plan on doing anything other than shooting at the range. At a minimum I have an Israeli sling set up on anything that is likely to be needed in an emergency. If it is a primary gun, it also has a light, and gets a tactical sling instead of the basic one. Hunting rifles get a padded sling that can also act as a stabilizer for shooting. The one thing I have learned from practice runs, camping, hiking and hunting is that you need your hands free. The gun is only a small part of anything you are likely to be doing. You shouldn't have to hold it, or have it flopping all over the place while you are trying to deal with other stuff. A light is also a must for emergencies. I have played the "dicking around with a hand held flashlight" thing a couple of times when something was going after the livestock at night. Never again. A gun-mounted light is hugely important. It lets me concentrate on what I am doing instead of trying to focus on the light, the sights and finding the freakin' coyote.

As for why you don't see these items on everybody's guns in pictures, well, some people just haven't put them on their guns yet. Some people don't have them yet. And some people just feel it clutters up the picture. ;)

-Mb

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:06 pm

I just keep slings on my hunting and HD guns. Namely my AR-15 and .30/30. I also keep one on my .22lr AR analog, just to keep up consistency. I don't bother with my shotgun, because I only really use it for trap. I don't keep one on any of my bench rest or safe queen guns either. I'll just tend to take them before packing up my range gear.

Right now I run a magpul ms3 on my AR, because at the time I wasn't sure if I wanted to run a 1 or 2 pointer on it, and I wanted to play around a bit before settling. I never run it as a one point sling anymore, and keep it strictly two points. I keep reading on here about how damn great that Ares sling is, so if I were to invest in a new one, that's what I'd likely get.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

JDLampy

Post by JDLampy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:33 pm

Slings are a must. From my recent training I have done to do almost anything you should have a sling. If you are using your rifle for self defense you always want it with you or at an arms reach away. By having a sling it allows you to go hands free for simply climbing to performing first aid. Choosing the style of sling comes down to preference of the user.

EndeavourOfWill

Post by EndeavourOfWill » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:56 pm

I use a Vickers 2 point sling on my rifle with the addition of a one point sling clip attacked to the butt of my rifle and the other end attached to my chest rig.

I only use the 1 point sling in an urban ops environment.

Negative point about slings is that it can breed laziness. People either slinging their firearms when they should be carrying them or depending on the sling setup resting the firearm on the sling.

http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vicker ... bat-sling/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt

iainmcphersn

Post by iainmcphersn » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:31 pm

I like two point slings on my rifles. I have VTAC slings on most of them but have just gotten one of Frank Procor's slings.

No mounting hardware required so it's a bit less expensive and can be moved to another long gun easily.

PrairieRat
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Hide and Creep", redneck humor in a hick town.

Post by PrairieRat » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:58 pm

JDLampy wrote:By having a sling it allows you to go hands free for simply climbing...
And swimming or crossing treacherous waters.
Why survive with a knife, when you can thrive with an axe?
wy7ac

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:03 pm

Of course slings are important for rifles. Never known anyone that was instructed in their usefulness that doesn't use one on a work rifle. Now, not everyone does what I do and has all of them with slings all the time; QD setups allow them to be moved from rifle to rifle with little fuss and minimal investment.

Ares Armor Husky slings are still my preference but there are still some VTAC and VCAS slings around the house.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Dasho101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Range 15

Post by Dasho101 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:16 pm

Slings are good if u use them. I personaly have a blood type tag attaced the the right side of my LBE that has an hk style loop and I made a dummy cord loop on the stock of my rifle for It. Now I run old alice gear so adding a sling to that plus a camelbak just made life a mess. When I switch over to a plate carrier soon I'm probibly going to keep the same basic set up because I like it. Also flashlights are a must.
Jeriah wrote:
My Sig functions on Teutonic Gnome Magic, thank you very much.
Remember Nancy Reagan? "JUST SAY NO!"

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:44 pm

Slings are important ... but, in my view, choosing a sling that's most compatible with the rifle's intended use is even more important, i.e., defense v. hunting. The slings on my hunting rifles are quite different than the "tactical" slings I'm running on my ARs, and even then the sling on my SPR is different from the one on my SBR. One is a 2-pt Vickers, the other is an old Troy single-point that attaches to a QD mount in the endplate. I also have MS3s and Blue Force slings. You might have to try a few to find one that "works" best with how you'll be using the rifle.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:52 pm

Can someone please recommend a good 2 point AR sling for around 40 bucks? This thread reminded me how important they are.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:54 pm

AK47Heaven wrote:Can someone please recommend a good 2 point AR sling for around 40 bucks? This thread reminded me how important they are.
http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/aahuskey2pt

$40 or less, more if you add doodads.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:04 pm

RedneckRifleWorks wrote:I have been lurking for quite some time and while viewing many of the picture threads here in the firearm section have noticed a lot of the rifles and shotguns that have been pictured do not have slings.
Maybe it's easier to photograph a longarm without having to screw around with an attached sling?
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:18 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
AK47Heaven wrote:Can someone please recommend a good 2 point AR sling for around 40 bucks? This thread reminded me how important they are.
http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/aahuskey2pt

$40 or less, more if you add doodads.
Perfect. I was looking at a VCAS but they are a bit pricey. $45 is doable though. Thanks man.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”