H&K G36/293 rifle to be imported to the USA.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

VeniVidiVici

H&K G36/293 rifle to be imported to the USA.

Post by VeniVidiVici » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:56 pm

Apparently H&K got approval from the Germans to export/sell the G36 rifles to civilians. Pretty cool piece, I'd love to pick one up on the small chance that it comes stateside. Not holding my breath but, the internet seems to think it's going to happen. :clap:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013 ... ilian-g36/

P.S., older article but, I searched G36 & HK293.
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." ~Mary Gardiner Brainard

Cummins/Knight's Armament Company/Colt/Barrett/

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: H&K G36/293 rifle to be imported to the USA.

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:05 pm

Well, if we can finally get a semi-auto Tavor in the US, I don't see why we couldn't be able to get a semi-auto G36 (in standard form and not the neutered version HK brought out a few years back).

Of course, HK could decide to be a bunch of jerks and say "Well, it'll be a Euro only release."

VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:09 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Well, if we can finally get a semi-auto Tavor in the US, I don't see why we couldn't be able to get a semi-auto G36 (in standard form and not the neutered version HK brought out a few years back).

Of course, HK could decide to be a bunch of jerks and say "Well, it'll be a Euro only release."
The German govt owns the rights/patent to the G36. They have to approve sales. Now that the Germans cleared it for sale HK has to go through the ATF(for import) or invest in the machines to make the gun here.

ETA: I'm hoping it's OTB capable as the MR556 isn't and it's an important feature to me.
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." ~Mary Gardiner Brainard

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:13 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Well, if we can finally get a semi-auto Tavor in the US, I don't see why we couldn't be able to get a semi-auto G36 (in standard form and not the neutered version HK brought out a few years back).

It has to do with import/export law. Tavor has X number of US parts, etc.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013 ... ilian-g36/
Heckler & Koch has applied to the German government for permission to sell a new civilian-legal version of the H&K G36, one that is much truer to the original than the sporterized HK SLR. In Europe the gun will be called the HK243 and in the USA it will be marketed as the HK293.

The rifle is made with parts from the G36, but the bolt and the .223-chambered barrel design are unique. The reason for this is that gun companies in Germany cannot sell “weapons of war” to civilians. This gun has been sufficiently changed that it cannot be easily converted to a military-stye fully-automatic G36.
Looks like German law was what was keeping HK from exporting them, hence the SL8's single-stack mags.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:40 pm

VeniVidiVici wrote:

The German govt owns the rights/patent to the G36. They have to approve sales. Now that the Germans cleared it for sale HK has to go through the ATF(for import) or invest in the machines to make the gun here.

ETA: I'm hoping it's OTB capable as the MR556 isn't and it's an important feature to me.
I'm hoping the ATF clears it for import or HK moves the machines to the US.

I like the design of the G36 and would love to own one. I hope we can get them in the US soon.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:44 pm

The height over bore of the G36 has always worried me.
Last edited by Doctorr Fabulous on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:The height over bore of the G36 has always worried me.

Is there a "last word" in who makes the best left-side-charging AR components?
Didn't Germany field some G36's with a rail on top instead of the goofy looking carry handle/optic ?

Maybe HK will import some with that instead of the usual sights.

VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:39 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Didn't Germany field some G36's with a rail on top instead of the goofy looking carry handle/optic ?

Its got a rail. It has to be raised to clear your hand when you access the charging handle. Definitely one of the downsides of having a true ambi setup.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:03 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

G36K
G36C

I really like the look, too.
I held a SL8 clone of a G36 with that handle and built in optic. The optic was distilled crap. Price was 2400 used.
VeniVidiVici wrote:Its got a rail. It has to be raised to clear your hand when you access the charging handle. Definitely one of the downsides of having a true ambi setup.
What, No, it flips out to either side, you don't have to raise the handle/rail. BTDT.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:04 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

G36K
VeniVidiVici wrote:Its got a rail. It has to be raised to clear your hand when you access the charging handle. Definitely one of the downsides of having a true ambi setup.
What, No, it flips out to either side, you don't have to raise the handle/rail. BTDT.
I know, your hand is the problem, not the handle. If it was a flattop you wouldn't be able to access it.

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:02 pm

I thought that mod for the AR with a G36 handguard was pretty sharp looking.
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”