New Garand Owner

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

rhi
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, The Evil Dead, 28 Weeks Later.

New Garand Owner

Post by rhi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:18 pm

OK, group, I've been wanting an M1 Garand for some time now. Mostly, it's nostalgia for my (deceased) dad's service in Korea and a bunch of photos of him I've come across, wielding his M1. I was able to score a nice "service grade" Garand from CMP that seems to be in great shape, even though she's a bit of a mongrel when it comes to part manufacturers. :D

Any advice for this new Garand owner? Yes, I know about "Garand thumb" and the proper loading of the en bloc clip. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!
Forget this dead man's town, I'll take you home.

quazi

Re: New Garand Owner

Post by quazi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Start lifting weights?

LOL, you might not have any trouble but I had problems with starting to shake pretty quickly. It's a heavy gun and the weight is all out front.

Also I'm pretty sure getting a new firearm and not posting pictures is a violation of forum rules.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:29 pm

Don't forget that running some of the hotter commercial ammunition for it is bad for the operating rod. Stick to the surplus, and the stuff marketed towards garand shooters. Besides, who can afford burning thru pricey hunting ammo at the range anyways.

And garand thumb. I know you know. But google image search that sumbitch and then you'll really know.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Rogue45

Post by Rogue45 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:55 pm

They actually have some good Youtube videos on the Garand, I recommend watching them. Congrats on the new rifle. It's an oldie, but a goodie!
ZSC011

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SEMPER FI

rhi
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by rhi » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:04 am

I've heard about the potential issue with running modern, hot .30-06 loads. Widener's has some PRVI Garand-load ammo that looks good. I'll likely pick up a can of that in the near future.

I did search on Youtube and there are several really good videos on there. One showed how to load less than 8 rounds using the standard 8 round clip. I didn't know that was possible.

Oh, and here's a pic. Includes dad's fatigue jacket, M1911 holster and a can of 60-year-old gun oil. :D

Thanks for the info, gang!

azstinger
Favorite Zombie Movies: Z-land or Dawn of the Dead

Post by azstinger » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:54 pm

Congrats!!!!! You will love your new firearm. For a buddies bachelor party we just put 500 rounds through mine, DIE STEEL PLATES DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! As others have said only use old surplus, modern garrand specific, or properly reloaded ammo. If you want to run modern ammo they make adapters so as to off vent excessive gas pressure but shame to mess with a such a great looking gun. I'd recommend a bore guide and to flip the rifle upside down when cleaning, was told this helps avoid getting stuff in the gas system. Again enjoy and post pics!

Shoe Daddy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Land of the Dead, 28 Days and 28 Weeks later, etc.

Post by Shoe Daddy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:45 pm

Check out GarandGear.com. I run one of their Ported Gas Plugs and have no issues at all. Also start buying some weapon specific tools: gas tube supporting wrench, M3A1 Combo tool, M1 specific throat/muzzle erosion gauge. My 1954 International Harvester Garand is getting sent off next week to Fulton Armory for a barrel change after finding out my muzzle erosion was over 5. No wonder it looked like buckshot on the paper... With that ported gas plug you can run ANY 30-06 without issue since it changes volume if gas and not pressure.
I am 1911, Cake, Mosin-Nagant, AK/AR neutral

Read my ZPAW story, Life after Death here: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 28&t=38181

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:40 pm

azstinger wrote:If you want to run modern ammo they make adapters so as to off vent excessive gas pressure but shame to mess with a such a great looking gun.
Mine looked just like the original, minus the scratches.
http://www.schustermfg.com/

The only reason I got one was that I had planned on using the Garand for moose and bear hunting. For target shooting I don't think there's much point in running the heavier stuff.

My understanding is that as long as you keep the gun well-greased most ammo with bullets under 170 grains should be okay. There are a few that are specifically marked as high velocity that I'd steer clear of. Operating rods are expensive though, so do your own research and don't take my word for it!

The M1 Garand definitely has a cool factor.

Shoe Daddy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Land of the Dead, 28 Days and 28 Weeks later, etc.

Post by Shoe Daddy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:00 am

Take it from someone who dropped the cash on the Schuster plug, you MUST adjust the valve on it every time you change loads. Any variance in charge +/- will cause short-stroking. I got tired of this quickly due to everyone being out of M1 specific ammo. This is the plug I'm using now and recoil is noticeably lighter with no FTF/FTE. plus I can run any ammo I find.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1garand/deta ... g?sef=hcfp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am 1911, Cake, Mosin-Nagant, AK/AR neutral

Read my ZPAW story, Life after Death here: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 28&t=38181

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:05 pm

I wrote three articles on tips for the new Garand owner.

http://www.examiner.com/article/tips-an ... m-1-garand" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.examiner.com/article/m-1-gar ... pare-parts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.examiner.com/article/m-1-gar ... provements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
----
R.I.P HK33K - Gone, but not forgetten.

rhi
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by rhi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Trebor, thanks for linking those articles!

I'm planning to tear her down, inspect, clean and lube this weekend. I typically use Mil-Comm TW-25B for grease points and Slip 2000EWL for oil/CLP. Anyone see any problem with this?

Also, here's one of the pics of my dad that I mentioned. Showing off for mom, before they were married. :lol:

I know there are several variants of the M1 bayonet, but I'm not well-versed in the differences. I'm studying up on Google, but if any of you folks can ID the variant in the photo, I'd be appreciative! I want to set up my Garand as closely as possible to the one dad's using in the pic. 8-)

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:32 pm

If Trebor has not already mentioned it in his posts, a couple of extra firing pins are a good investment. I found this out the hard way! If M-1 has a part that will break, the firing pin is probably the only one. I keep an extra in the butt trap wrapped up in cleaning patches so they won't rattle. If you can find one, a bolt disassembly tool is a real nice thing to have as well.

And of course clips. Buy all you can. You will need them.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

hotlead

Post by hotlead » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:03 am

Rhi, the bayonet your Pop has mounted is an M1 bayonet, not M1 Garand bayonet, but M1 is the nomenclature for this bayonet(it seems that everything in the 40's and 50's was called an "M1 somethin-r-other"). There are several different ones, 16" M-1905, 10" M-1905E1, 10" M1, 5" M5 and M5A1. The M-1905E1 is a cut down M-1905, they cut them with spear points and "bowie" points, for WWII.

He has an M1 web sling, and if you get one and use it properly, then you won't have to worry about the rifle feeling front heavy.

If he was in Korea, then he also would've had this type of webgear,

Awesome pics! I can look at pics of old brown rifles all day!

If I'm not too far out of line, here's mine....
Last edited by hotlead on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"your 9mm might expand when it hits the target, but my .45 sure as hell won't shrink"- Arguing with my Brother about pistol calibers.

"You can never have too many guns, yo-yos, or crayons"- Mrs. Hotlead speaking to my Nephew.

"If you don't let your farts out, you'll get bad breath"- Talking to my Neice at a campfire

Ragged

Post by Ragged » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:54 pm

Great picture of your dad and his M1. Can you tell us more about the M1 you got? Awesome wood on that, is it USGI?

hotlead, that is some great web gear you have there. Do you collect web gear? Nice looking rifle, too. Black tips ftw.

hotlead

Post by hotlead » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:58 pm

Ragged wrote:hotlead, that is some great web gear you have there. Do you collect web gear?
I do. For some reason, when I get a firearm, I have to research it and get all the period accessories and equipment. I have several different web sets for this rifle.
Ragged wrote:Nice looking rifle, too. Black tips ftw.
Thanks, they're real accurate, too! The local club that hosted CMP matches used to have dozens of cans of AP M2 to sell to the guys using M1s in the match.
"your 9mm might expand when it hits the target, but my .45 sure as hell won't shrink"- Arguing with my Brother about pistol calibers.

"You can never have too many guns, yo-yos, or crayons"- Mrs. Hotlead speaking to my Nephew.

"If you don't let your farts out, you'll get bad breath"- Talking to my Neice at a campfire

rhi
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by rhi » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Ragged wrote:Great picture of your dad and his M1. Can you tell us more about the M1 you got? Awesome wood on that, is it USGI?
I think so. The wood stock is a little different than the hand guard, but I guess that's to be expected of a 60-year-old rifle that's been rebuilt several times. Overall, she looks good. I'll take a few more pics and post them here this week after I'm done stripping her down, cleaning, inspecting and lubing her up.

What I know at present:
Receiver: H&R
Op Rod: SA

Also: Wow. Those firing pins are expensive compared to the AR-platform I'm used to. :shock:

If anyone out there is looking for Garand food, check out Wideners

hotlead: Those are awesome pics. Very much appreciated!

Hey, I know I'm a Garand noob... but what is the purpose of the third "sling point" at the furthest muzzle position. It's clear that the web sling mounts at the two points closest to the stock. The last one has a gap in it that is puzzling. What was this used for?

Ragged

Post by Ragged » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:29 pm

hotlead wrote:
Ragged wrote:hotlead, that is some great web gear you have there. Do you collect web gear?
I do. For some reason, when I get a firearm, I have to research it and get all the period accessories and equipment. I have several different web sets for this rifle.
You're do'in it right!
rhi wrote: Hey, I know I'm a Garand noob... but what is the purpose of the third "sling point" at the furthest muzzle position. It's clear that the web sling mounts at the two points closest to the stock. The last one has a gap in it that is puzzling. What was this used for?
It's the stacking swivel.

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Ragged wrote:
hotlead wrote:
You're do'in it right!
rhi wrote: Hey, I know I'm a Garand noob... but what is the purpose of the third "sling point" at the furthest muzzle position. It's clear that the web sling mounts at the two points closest to the stock. The last one has a gap in it that is puzzling. What was this used for?
It's the stacking swivel.
Now that is a thing of beauty ^

Yeah, firing pins are pricey but keep in mind, no one is making new ones anymore. I bought 5 for $10 at a gun show about 7 or 8 years ago and glad I got 'em for that price!

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

BJMadden85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of them...

Post by BJMadden85 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:47 pm

Beautiful. I can't wait to get one...
Brandon J. Madden, Esq.
ZS member
ZSC:017

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. -Mark Twain

rhi
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by rhi » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:35 pm

Finally got out to the range yesterday to shoot the M1. What a blast! The Garand was dead-on at 50 yards and was smacking those steel plates with authority!

Had a little difficulty getting the clips to seat, but I'm 99% convinced that was operator error. I'm going to strip her down again and reclean/relube and do a little loading practice with some inert rounds.

Oh, and if you want an extra firing pin or two check these out! Best price I've seen.

Rogue45

Post by Rogue45 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:12 pm

Nice! Glad to see you got to put some rounds downrange.
ZSC011

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SEMPER FI

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:35 am

I haven't seen it mentioned, but getting qualified for the Civilian Marksmanship Program might be a good idea. They often have bulk surplus ammo for sale (sometimes already loaded in en-blocs!), and you might be able to pick up a cheap parts gun from them as well.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

rhi
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by rhi » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:58 pm

DarkAxel wrote:getting qualified for the Civilian Marksmanship Program might be a good idea. They often have bulk surplus ammo for sale (sometimes already loaded in en-blocs!), and you might be able to pick up a cheap parts gun from them as well.
I need to look into that. Both of the ranges I belong to (yeah, even here in NJ) are registered with the CMP. Thanks for the tip, bud!

jeremy1391
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead
dawn of the dead (old and new)
day of the dead (original)
28 weeks later
land of the dead
diary of the dead (very well done)

Post by jeremy1391 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Welcome to the club!

Remember though now that you own one it's kinda like being a crewman of the Flying Dutchman.......
Part of the ship part of the crewPart of the ship part of the crewPart of the ship part of the crewPart of the ship part of the crewPart of the ship part of the crewPart of the ship part of the crewPart of the ship part of the crew.

:clap:
the_klenzer wrote:
And finally.... if you are drunk enough, and your buddy dares you...
just tell yourself "if it's good enough for Les Stroud..."

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”