Its time to retire my old Winchester 1300 Defender...

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Barbossa

Its time to retire my old Winchester 1300 Defender...

Post by Barbossa » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:44 pm

... or is it? Ive had this thing for 25 years. Its beat up, skinned up, nicked up and abused to the point that its having feed issues. Kindo like me, but thats a different forum. So, my question to the worthy members of the Zombie Squad is this... should I retire it or send it off to some place that will magically restore it?

Its used for home defense and general shooting. Its been my truck gun thru 4 trucks. The issue its having is ejection problems, simple replacement of a few inexpensive parts, but all in all Id rather have experts overhaul it. Trusted experts since I have to trust my life with it.

So, any thoughts on retirement for it and getting a new pump shotty or overhauling it. Its not made anymore and its so light weight, I love the speed feed. Cant decide.
Primary weapons for the Zombie Apocolapyse
1. AK 47 and baseball bat (at all times)
2. Remington 870
3. Remington 700 in .308
4. Glock 17
5. Smith and Wesson 686

Secondary... All the AR 15's laying in the streets.

mk_ultra

Re: Its time to retire my old Winchester 1300 Defender...

Post by mk_ultra » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:02 pm

Defenders are great , I owned one for several years .

I don't see much point in owning an unreliable gun , so I would put the money into getting it fixed .
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:15 pm

I'm an odd one in this respect. I'll spend $60 to get a pair of boots resoled and repaired rather than $100 for a new pair of boots. I paid $300 to have my old steel frame bike rebuilt with mostly new parts, rather than pay $500 for a brand new, much nicer bike. So, I'd say get the thing fixed so it's mechanically reliable, then think about restoring the original finish vs. giving it a fun paint job.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:58 pm

Firearms have a finite life. They eventually wear out. I routinely retire my CCW after about 10 years. I keep them and simply use them as a spare.

I would suggest that you buy a new shotgun and then repair the Winchester 1300 yourself and keep it as a spare. That said IMO the reliability issue with the 1300 does not sound like a daunting issue.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:08 pm

Send it to Wilson Combat and have them work it over.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Neville

Post by Neville » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:42 pm

I agree with "buy a new one" and "Send it to Wilson".

Get yourself a replacement 1300 so you will be able to share parts between the two. This can be used in good working order and become your new truck gun. It'll keep you company on the road while the old one is out becoming "reborn".

Get a good smith to put it back in perfect working order, then send the bolt and trigger components out for nickel-boron coating. You'd be amazed how that old shotgun will look like new with a coat of Roguard or Cerakote on it.

Now you've got a gun in the truck that you know you can count on, and a nifty new-ish one to stand guard by the bed at nights while you slumber. Best of both worlds.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:02 pm

I have some questions about Wilson Combat/Scattergun Technologies. Since it's being recommended in this thread, I guess I'll ask here:

First, do they do shotguns other than Remington 870s? I have an 870 and a Mossy 500; the OP is talking about a Winchester. All I can find on their site are stuff for the Remington.

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/shotgun-sta ... bePvoWsFR8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Secondly, is that $1540 for a complete gun, or to trick out my gun?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Jeriah wrote:I have some questions about Wilson Combat/Scattergun Technologies. Since it's being recommended in this thread, I guess I'll ask here:

First, do they do shotguns other than Remington 870s? I have an 870 and a Mossy 500; the OP is talking about a Winchester. All I can find on their site are stuff for the Remington.

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/shotgun-sta ... bePvoWsFR8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That page is a complete gun. Like Vang Comp and Cylinder & Slide, you'll have to contact them for a quote regarding what want done and how much it will cost.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:18 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Jeriah wrote:I have some questions about Wilson Combat/Scattergun Technologies. Since it's being recommended in this thread, I guess I'll ask here:

That page is a complete gun. Like Vang Comp and Cylinder & Slide, you'll have to contact them for a quote regarding what want done and how much it will cost.
Thanks! I went back and found the contact page; they actually have a form with the prices all broken down. Looks like it's about $1000 to take a customer-supplied shotgun and turn it into their Basic model, but you can pick-and-choose features if you don't need, say, a new barrel or something.

Barbossa

Post by Barbossa » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:26 pm

Oh such sweeetness, to have a shotgun fine tuned by Wilson Combat.
Primary weapons for the Zombie Apocolapyse
1. AK 47 and baseball bat (at all times)
2. Remington 870
3. Remington 700 in .308
4. Glock 17
5. Smith and Wesson 686

Secondary... All the AR 15's laying in the streets.

Diecorpse

Post by Diecorpse » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Those Defenders are good guns, restored to like new condition they have good value especially as they get older. I would restore but it depends how much it means to you. I love my 870 but I always told my dad if was gonna sell his 1300 I will buy it. It shoots great and even with sand in the action it still shot flawlessly. It never hurts to have a back up though just in case.
Good. . . Bad. . . I'm the guy with the gun. . .

greglambert
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Post by greglambert » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:26 am

I always prefer to fix old guns rather than get new ones of the same type, as long as it is cost effective to do so. If you want a newer technology get a new gun but for an old pump gun few new guns will match the build quality of your 1300.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”