Range time with the Tavor. New vid on FIVE!

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Range time with the Tavor. New vid on FIVE!

Post by Braxton » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:19 pm

Crypto and I got the chance to take my Tavor out for a spin today.

Bla bla bla. Make with the pics.

We shot about 15 mags out of it, "don't be hatin cus I got ammo". Only one malfunction. That was because Crypto had a case bounce off his face and land back in the chamber as it was closing. every other round hit his beard. "he is a southpaw" I shot two mags lefty and never had a case touch me.

The trigger is , well.. Its like a NY trigger on a Glock. Its heavy, but feels ok to me. Head shots at a hundred yards are no problem.

The Egros are something that I was very curious about. This gun feels like it was made for me. I can hold it on target longer and with less fatigue than anything else I have ever shot. All the weight is at the rear, so you don't feel it.

I did not care for the stock popup sights, Until I used them. They work. The old 512 that a slapped on for the range today is already off. Its not tall enough. You can see us really having to mash our face down to get the sights to line up. I am going to use my aimpoint micro with a DD mount to see if that works any better next trip.

Accuracy was good. Very good in fact. Not hard to have touching groups at 50 yards.

Reloads are something magical. I can not begin to tell you how easy it is to reload this rifle in a hurry. After playing with it for less than ten mins, I had sub two second reloads down.

I will answer any questions people have, and add more too this when I am not so sunburned and tired.

All in all, I do not regret buying this one bit.
Last edited by Braxton on Fri May 17, 2013 12:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Re: Range time with the Tavor.

Post by rednekrampager » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:35 pm

Nice range report, glad it worked out for you. Any place on it to mount a light ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get off my lawn!!

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:53 pm

Disregard.
Last edited by RickOShea on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by spanningtree » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:01 pm

Nice, that is a pretty sick toy! Does it take AR mags? If you don't mind me asking, what was the ballpark $$?

Thanks for the report.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:10 pm

That thing looks strangely like a Colt Python to me. :wink:

That's awesome you got it. That was fast.

Maybe a riser for that 512.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Yankee-H ... 0riser.htm
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:36 am

What in the fuck, I had a long range report posted, and now its gone. Goddamnit where did it go?

Okay, heres my tl;dr: This rifle is the shit and I'm getting one.

Pros:
Its as short as a 12" AR without needing a tax stamp.
It balances nicely since most of the weight is right by your shoulder.
Its easier to hold up for long periods for the same reason.
Its easy to lock into a stable shooting position because you can lay your support forearm on that pew pew pew triggerguard.
Reloads are stupid fast.
It looks like the 1980's lazer tag rifle my parents never bought me:
Trigger reset feels like a glock with a positive SPROINK.

Cons:
Trigger pull also feels like a glock. $2000 guns shouldn't come with 8lb triggers.
Shooting it lefty all day, I got hit in the chin with every single ejected case. More of an annoyance than a legit problem, except for the time I jammed up the gun by bouncing the brass back into the ejection port.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Krustofski
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Post by Krustofski » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:39 am

Can the trigger pull be tampered with?

Also:

I had talked myself out of spending € 2000 on a Steyr AUG-Z.

And then you assholes post pics of having fun with a bullpup. Screw you, are you actively trying to get me into debt?
Off the internet until further notice.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:24 pm

Braxton wrote:The Egros are something that I was very curious about. This gun feels like it was made for me. I can hold it on target longer and with less fatigue than anything else I have ever shot. All the weight is at the rear, so you don't feel it.
crypto wrote:Its as short as a 12" AR without needing a tax stamp.
It balances nicely since most of the weight is right by your shoulder.
Its easier to hold up for long periods for the same reason.
These are all the reasons I've wanted a bullpup since playing airsoft with an L85. You have all the ballistics of a lull-length barrel, but you can do CQB like you have a pistol. The weight all sits right on your shoulder, actually encouraging you to keep the stock there instead of chicken-winging the stock like we all have from time to time. Hell, shooting one handed is even easy!

I may have to spend some quality time working out a good bullpup kit for Saigas, but until I do, I want a Tavor...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:48 pm

Never thought I'd say it - but kind of want.

Interesting pic with the SCAR underneath it; it looks smaller obviously with the SCAR stock open, how about when folded? Hows the parts compatibility with what's available state side?

This would be one of those rifles I'd want to try before plopping down 2K on, I might nibble at 1,500 - but I've never been wild about bullpups.

Crypto - HA! on the Lazertag rifle. I remember those, never had one, but the neighbor kid got one for Xmas. I think it was broken by April if memory serves.

NXP

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:21 pm

What's the situation like on spare parts?

Fairly available?

If Tavor parts are priced higher than AR parts how much higher? 25% more? 50% more?
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Domino

Post by Domino » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:54 pm

Nice gun, It does not suprise me at all that you guys like it so much.

The advantages of bullpups for CQB has been well known for the past 50 years or so. I have always felt that a good, well designed bullpup has superior handling characteristics when compared to conventional weapons. Also, with the case of the 5.56, you get far superior ballistics with a bullpup when compared to a conventional rifle that has been SBR'd. That said, most of the bullpup bashing goes from people's experience with poor designs like the Mossberg shotgun or Muzzlelite monstrosities. Hopefully the prices of Tavors will get down to $1,200-1,500 which would make it far more competitive.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:48 pm

Last edited by Gingerbread Man on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:00 pm

Damn. I just visualized the down payment for my new bug out/hunting property drop a few bucks and little gold $$'s float off into the air.

Anyway, who's going to run one in a class? I seriously doubt Ill get to FF one at a range before purchasing with all of my fudd friends. I'd like to see how mag changes go while wearing a vest, etc before I ditch...errr congratulate my wife on her new 14.5" AR...
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:46 pm

I'd like to own one eventually, and I'm still dreaming about one with a 14.5" pinned barrel + M42000.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:10 pm

crypto wrote: Cons:
Trigger pull also feels like a glock. $2000 guns shouldn't come with 8lb triggers.
Any idea if that can be rectified? That would be a no-go for me.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:12 pm

400 Grains wrote:
$5 says no. Bullpup triggers are inherently shitty. Comes with the design.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:15 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
400 Grains wrote:
$5 says no. Bullpup triggers are inherently shitty. Comes with the design.
What he said. When your transfer bar is six inches long, it makes for a shitty pull.
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:44 pm

Yeah, they're usually kinda shitty, but they're usually not so /glocky/. I would be surprised if it could not be lightened up some.

Now, thats an entirely different question than if it /should/ be lightened up some. I was thinking about carrying one of these around with rattle, and suddenly the giant 'triggerguard' area seems like it might be something a mag or gear could get into when you had it against your body. Yes yes, safeties on, but I dunno, that's kinda weird to have an infantry rifle with such an exposed trigger.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:08 pm

crypto wrote:Now, thats an entirely different question than if it /should/ be lightened up some. I was thinking about carrying one of these around with rattle, and suddenly the giant 'triggerguard' area seems like it might be something a mag or gear could get into when you had it against your body. Yes yes, safeties on, but I dunno, that's kinda weird to have an infantry rifle with such an exposed trigger.
I tried to catch the trigger on my chest rig for about 20 mins before I gave up. I cant seem to make it happen.

Much has been said about the Tavor trigger, and I do not have a problem with it. I have a stock trigger in my SCAR and I can shoot it so fast it sounds cyclic. I have a Timney 3.5lb trigger in one of my ARs that I can rock almost as fast as a slidefire.

The tavor trigger is never going to be National Match grade, but it does not need to be. I can shoot it as fast as I want to, and I fully feel it capable of hitting targets out to 400m. I am not going to ask it to do anything more.
Regular Guy wrote:Any chance to see the barrel out of the action?
Let me play with it a while and I will post pics.
Browning 35 wrote:What's the situation like on spare parts?

Fairly available?

If Tavor parts are priced higher than AR parts how much higher? 25% more? 50% more?
No clue. Canadian members might be able to help on that, they have had the Tavor for years.

spanningtree wrote:Nice, that is a pretty sick toy! Does it take AR mags? If you don't mind me asking, what was the ballpark $$?

Thanks for the report.

Yes it takes AR mags. I paid, To dam much. But I wanted it.

MSRP is 2k .
rednekrampager wrote:Nice range report, glad it worked out for you. Any place on it to mount a light ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am sure I can find a place to stick one, its got about ten feet of rail space.
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 pm

The first one here at the LGS went for $1950.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:29 am

Neat gun, I wouldn't mind having one but the price is just too high for my budget, given that, like the SCAR or a SBR SIG 551A1, it's a "want" rather than a "need".

Still...sexy.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:51 am

TDW586 wrote:Neat gun, I wouldn't mind having one but the price is just too high for my budget, given that, like the SCAR or a SBR SIG 551A1, it's a "want" rather than a "need".

Still...sexy.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, that is how it is for me too. Maybe in 5 years or so. I hope it gains serious traction in the US. If it does someone will come up with something for the trigger, and Eotech will make a riser for it. Just like AR's just about any bitch you can make against the rifle will have a part to fix it.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:31 am

Redeyes wrote:and Eotech will make a riser for it.
No riser needed. The QD mount makes it perfect.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 pm

So, what on the Tavor makes it better to run than the weird ergos of most bullpup rifles?

And yes, I think the Tavor just passed the FN SCAR on my list of things I REALLLLLLLY wanna waste money on.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”