Remington 700 ADL in .270 Win

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Remington 700 ADL in .270 Win

Post by Chef » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:00 am

Helped a friend out and bought my first centerfire boltgun, a .270 700 of unknown provenance. Synthetic stock, parkerized-looking metal, iron sights mounted on the barrel. Still has a barcode sticker on the recoil pad, no engravings or rollmarks to tell me what I have other than "Remington 700" on the left side of the barrel and action. The plastic stock and trigger guard say "cheapcheapcheap" but the action inspires confidence; pulled the bolt and the bore looks as good as I'd know one to look. To complete the budget tableau, there's a 3x9 Tasco scope on obviously cheap rings designed to clear the iron sights. I shot it a couple of weekends ago, and it worked just fine despite the handicaps mentioned above. Blows full soda cans up real good from a long way away.

The questions I place before the forum:

-what budget model Remington 700 do I have exactly?

-.270 Winchester: what's the deal with it? (I've heard passionate yeas and nays)

-is it worth hanging on to, is the turd worth polishing?

-what kind of optic ($3-400ish?) might fit in the 200-600 yard envelope?

(Thread title edited to reflect further research)
Last edited by Chef on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

DaleGribble

Re: Remington 700??? .270

Post by DaleGribble » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:13 pm

Pictures would help. Whats the magazine like?

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Regarding .270, it shoots flat, hits hard and is always available.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Chef » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:44 pm

The only access to the magazine is through the action. The stock doesn't have an opening under the magazine where a higher-end 700 would have a trapdoor.

I am digging the local availability of .270. There's a few boxes at every store. Yeah, it's a little over a buck a round, but have you seen what any kind of ammo is going for now? Plus it's easy to avoid the temptation to blaze away when you have to work the bolt for every shot. For me, the recent ammo frenzy has upended the conventional wisdom of stocking common rounds like .308 and .22LR that, ahem, "will always be available." :ohdear:

jackal556
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Resident Evil saga

Post by jackal556 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:53 pm

+1 for the pics.

It should be a decent enough rifle. Your call if you want to upgrade the optics or stick with iron sights. I would go with better sight rings and shop around (srsly) for better optics.

If I had another 700 fall in my lap and I had the cash, I'd put on a nice mil-dot scope, McMillan A5 (or A3) stock, 710 trigger group with removable mags, Harris bipod, new barrel (.308 24" target with cut crown), and then assault the thing with duracoat in coyote, dark earth, and OD. Then, I'd just need a place in western PA that I can shoot over 100 yards...
ZSC:002 Pittsburgh Area Chapter Officer

US Marines- Making Martyrs since 1775

Tenderfoot
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland; The Walking Dead

Post by Tenderfoot » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:00 pm

Chef wrote:The only access to the magazine is through the action. The stock doesn't have an opening under the magazine where a higher-end 700 would have a trapdoor.
Sounds like an ADL.
"You never know when something will need to be stabbed after being shot repeatedly..."
Local gunstore clerk talking about bayonets

minengr

Post by minengr » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Tenderfoot wrote:Sounds like an ADL.
Yep.
Personally, not a fan of the .270, but it may fit your needs depending on your end game. That is the key question. What are you wanting it for / what are you wanting it to do? For the circles I run in, the ADL is preferred for a lightweight hunting rifle. I'll make a few suggestions, but I'd need to know your intentions before pointing you in the right direction. The Remington 700 is the 350 small block of actions, you're limited only by the balance in your check book.

If it were me (and I did this with a 7-08 ADL) I'd drop it in a Ti-take of stock (or repo available from Stocky's Stocks), float the barrel, add some Talley's lightweight's, mount a Leupold fixed 6x and call it good. It will be a nice lighter weight hunting rifle that should balance well.

Do you reload? How much do you want to spend?
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Remington 700 ADL in .270 Win

Post by Chef » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Thanks for the additional input, y'all!

Ideally, I'd like a reasonably lightweight rifle (8-8.5# all up?) accurate out to 600 yards or so (that's the longest known-distance range available in my locality). Again, this is my first centerfire bolt gun, so I'll be keeping a notebook and logging every shot to teach myself as I go.

I know that I probably started with the wrong tool, but hey, a Remington 700 for $225? I bit. It doesn't hurt that I can get my hands on all the .270 I want locally; the shelves are picked clean of .308 and .30-06 around here. I don't reload and I understand primers and propellants are currently inaccessible. Any input re. the pros and cons of the .270 Winchester is humbly requested.

My first order of business is to see how well the factory barrel can shoot. If it's good, then a better optic and mount (which will also be a learning curve). Maybe then I'll start worrying about a better stock, maybe a BDL trigger guard/floorplate, etc. I see various precision rifle builds on other forums and they do excite me, but my budget is limited and I'm new to this aspect of shooting. I can maybe put $800 toward turning this sows ear into a silk purse over the next few months.

Tenderfoot
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland; The Walking Dead

Post by Tenderfoot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Chef wrote:Thanks for the additional input, y'all!

Ideally, I'd like a reasonably lightweight rifle (8-8.5# all up?) accurate out to 600 yards or so (that's the longest known-distance range available in my locality). Again, this is my first centerfire bolt gun, so I'll be keeping a notebook and logging every shot to teach myself as I go.

I know that I probably started with the wrong tool, but hey, a Remington 700 for $225? I bit. It doesn't hurt that I can get my hands on all the .270 I want locally; the shelves are picked clean of .308 and .30-06 around here. Any input re. the pros and cons of the .270 Winchester is humbly requested.

My first order of business is to see how well the factory barrel can shoot. If it's good, then a better optic and mount (which will also be a learning curve). Maybe then I'll start worrying about a better stock, maybe a BDL trigger guard/floorplate, etc. I see various precision rifle builds on other forums and they do excite me, but my budget is limited and I'm new to this aspect of shooting.
The factory barrel may surprise you. If you have the opportunity to shoot game at 300+ yards (even if it's just an occasional thing) buy good glass and mounts. Good glass doesn't have to break the bank. Look at Vortex and the Nikon Monarch or Buckmasters stuff. They both offer some of the best glass in their respective price ranges. Talley or Warne rings and mounts would be a good choice but they are not the only ones out there.
"You never know when something will need to be stabbed after being shot repeatedly..."
Local gunstore clerk talking about bayonets

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Chef » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:09 pm

I was looking at the bases and rings from Evolution Gun Works, but there's a bewildering variety of parts out there.

Any thoughts re. magnification level, and the economics of fixed vs. variable scopes?

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:17 am

Sounds like you have the 700 ADL Synthetic. I've had one for...wow, longer than I can easily remember...probably more than 15 years. Mine's in .30-06, which the .270 is based on. It's little more than a .30-06 case necked down to take a .270 diameter bullet. As you noted, the stock is not great, but out of the box mine shot about an inch and a half, and some trigger work brought it down to an honest inch gun with ammo it likes. Oddly, the rounds it seems to like best are on opposite sides of the cost line: Federal Premium Ballistic Tips, and Winchester Silvertips. Every gun is a law unto itself, so you'll probably see something different from your rifle.

There are tons of ADL stocks out there, and there are conversion kits that will turn your ADL into a BDL (floorplate magazine). The actions are good, so if you decide to invest some money in it, it won't be wasted.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jackal556
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Resident Evil saga

Post by jackal556 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:24 pm

I would allocate a sizable portion of your budget to the optics. Among my friends, the recommendation is that you spend the same amount or more on the glass than the gun. Choate makes a R700 stock in "sniper" and "varminter" (I think). I don't have any experience with those stocks, but I had other Choate stocks that were well made. Again, I'd go for a Harris bipod.

The other part of shooting distance is knowing how to shoot. Calling the wind, adjusting for distance, and knowing your ammo. That's a topic for another thread.
ZSC:002 Pittsburgh Area Chapter Officer

US Marines- Making Martyrs since 1775

Dave13

Post by Dave13 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:49 pm

The 700 is a fantastic rifle, and take the time to read over this warning about the safety. Many of these rifles have had misfires, please read this over, and if you have questions please feel free to PM me.
http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and ... -40-X.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More than likely that rifle will outshoot both of us. I can't speak for the stock, but the rest of the weapon is brilliant. I have a 788, the "budget" 700 and it's awesome. You can look up the production date on that weapon here. http://www.remingtonsociety.com/questio ... OWDERX.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My rifle was made in '75, I got it for my 5th birthday. Pop had to cut the stock so I could shoulder it. I still have that weapon, it's in the "keeper" safe.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”